The Hurt Locker

A mate gave me this to watch a couple of weeks ago, it was truly painful I would rather drag my fingernails down a blackboard until my fingers were bloody stumps before even considering watching that utter shite again. Its 2hrs long I grizzed it for an hour before sacking it.

ringdoby said:
If you watch it with a civvy viewpoint, then its a good enough film.

Not a classic, but I would say worth watching once.
No, it isn't - I'm as civillian as it gets and the film is dreadful. I'm all for suspension of disbelief in order to make a film work, but - without wishing to give spoilers - some of the situations are so preposterous that you can't take the film seriously. Since it's meant to be a straight film, that's problematic. The characters are more like caricatures (the maverick new boss, the fatalistic young soldier, the frustrated 2 i/c, incompetent bounty hunter etc etc). I couldn't watch it for more than an hour, and would have turned it off earlier if I'd had the opportunity. I grant that the acting isn't horrific and that the opening sequence has some dramatic merit, but that's about it. Avoid.

Feck Me, Artemis, I bet your local DVD shop loves you.

I would advise you never watch anything with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis in it, in fact anything out of Hollywood. :D

Some of the situations are preposterous, yes, but no more so than U571, or Saving Private Ryan amongst Hollywoods other revisions from reality.

They're not called EgO D for nothing.

Big Timing Cnuts. They even make the RE look humble!

Is it wrong I found the film quite enjoyable? (pinch of salt was taken prior you understand ;))

Did enjoy some of the comments on youtube though, this was the pick of the bunch:

COD2yogi
my brother is a member of the Royal engineers EOD team and he said that film is exactly like real life (apart from the alley bit)
Don't criticise lads, the experts have spoken!

Artemis, out of interest were you strapped into some kind of "Clockwork Orange" aversion-therapy chair which meant you had to watch?

depot_donkey said:
COD2yogi
my brother is a member of the Royal engineers EOD team and he said that film is exactly like real life (apart from the alley bit)
Can that be termed walting by proxy?

dingerr said:
depot_donkey said:
COD2yogi
Can that be termed walting by proxy?
Don't say proxy in this thread for feck sake.... :D

I'm glad I have seen the trailer. Now I know not to watch it until its in the buy 3 DVD's for £10 bucket at the Asda.

ringdoby said:
Feck Me, Artemis, I bet your local DVD shop loves you.

I would advise you never watch anything with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis in it, in fact anything out of Hollywood. :D

Some of the situations are preposterous, yes, but no more so than U571, or Saving Private Ryan amongst Hollywoods other revisions from reality.
There's a big difference between preposterous situations in films which don't make a pretence at realism (and which actually trade on being larger than life and over the top) and similiar situations in films - like HL - which trade on being true to life.

CaptainPlume said:
Artemis, out of interest were you strapped into some kind of "Clockwork Orange" aversion-therapy chair which meant you had to watch?
You aren't far wrong, CP :wink:

Artemis, if films were true to life, no one would watch them as they would be boring as fcuk.

Can you imagine how boring watching a film about real life soldering would be? 90 mins of watching someone with a hangover scratch their balls, whine about the Badge, and wonder if the bird behind the NAAFI bar spits or swallows.

HL wont be a Classic film, but I think it has its place as a decent enough war film.

It was certainly worth the DVD it was burnt onto

B

blindfire

ringdoby said:
Artemis, if films were true to life, no one would watch them as they would be boring as fcuk.

Can you imagine how boring watching a film about real life soldering would be? 90 mins of watching someone with a hangover scratch their balls, whine about the Badge, and wonder if the bird behind the NAAFI bar spits or swallows.

HL wont be a Classic film, but I think it has its place as a decent enough war film.

It was certainly worth the DVD it was burnt onto
superb ringdoby :D :D

dingerr said:
They're not called EgO D for nothing.

Big Timing Cnuts. They even make the RE look humble!

You Tw at :lol:

ringdoby said:
Different types of drama have different rules and conventions - a pantomime wouldn't be panto if played straight. Satire wouldn't be satirical if other factors prevented the audience from getting the underlying commentary (a common criticism of American Psycho is that it was too gory for the audience to understand that it was meant to be a satire). I'm not saying that all films should be true to life, just that, if the genre of a film is "gritty realism" (which is what HL was aiming for, IMO), then it fails on its own terms if it has two-dimensional characterisation and constantly puts the characters in implausible situations. Those attributes only work if the genre of a film is such that the audience's disbelief is already suspended - the latest Terminator film (which I thoroughly enjoyed) is a case in point. Ridiculous plot and cartoonish characters, but the film works because it's not trying to be anything other than an entertaining romp.