The Hurt Locker

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by HE117, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AMERICA , FCUK YEAH ! ! !
  2. I watched the film the other week. Not too bad if you take it with a pinch of salt.
  3. A mate gave me this to watch a couple of weeks ago, it was truly painful I would rather drag my fingernails down a blackboard until my fingers were bloody stumps before even considering watching that utter shite again. Its 2hrs long I grizzed it for an hour before sacking it.
  4. If you watch it with a civvy viewpoint, then its a good enough film.

Not a classic, but I would say worth watching once.
  5. Liked the zeroing of a Barret bit. Part from that hmmmmmmmn.
  6. No, it isn't - I'm as civillian as it gets and the film is dreadful. I'm all for suspension of disbelief in order to make a film work, but - without wishing to give spoilers - some of the situations are so preposterous that you can't take the film seriously. Since it's meant to be a straight film, that's problematic. The characters are more like caricatures (the maverick new boss, the fatalistic young soldier, the frustrated 2 i/c, incompetent bounty hunter etc etc). I couldn't watch it for more than an hour, and would have turned it off earlier if I'd had the opportunity. I grant that the acting isn't horrific and that the opening sequence has some dramatic merit, but that's about it. Avoid.
  7. Feck Me, Artemis, I bet your local DVD shop loves you.

I would advise you never watch anything with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis in it, in fact anything out of Hollywood. :D

Some of the situations are preposterous, yes, but no more so than U571, or Saving Private Ryan amongst Hollywoods other revisions from reality.
  8. They're not called EgO D for nothing.

Big Timing Cnuts. They even make the RE look humble!
  9. Is it wrong I found the film quite enjoyable? (pinch of salt was taken prior you understand ;))

Did enjoy some of the comments on youtube though, this was the pick of the bunch:

Don't criticise lads, the experts have spoken!
  10. Artemis, out of interest were you strapped into some kind of "Clockwork Orange" aversion-therapy chair which meant you had to watch?
  11. Is Grant Mitchell in it?
  12. Can that be termed walting by proxy?
  13. Don't say proxy in this thread for feck sake.... :D

I'm glad I have seen the trailer. Now I know not to watch it until its in the buy 3 DVD's for £10 bucket at the Asda.
  14. There's a big difference between preposterous situations in films which don't make a pretence at realism (and which actually trade on being larger than life and over the top) and similiar situations in films - like HL - which trade on being true to life.

You aren't far wrong, CP :wink: