The Hurt Locker, lets boycott it

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by FNUSNU, Jul 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Acording to FHM

The British Army (Ralph Fiennes and chums) get a rough deal with a brief cameo in the film as incompetent poshos who need to be rescued by the Americans. It feels like an unnecessary dig.

Typical US sh!t portrayal of us Brits. Don't think I'll bother watching.

2. Hmmm back to Erroll Flynn and Burma days...

3. I didn't know Mel Gibson was in it :? after all, usually any film he is in portrays the Brits as turds...

4. Brits, surely you mean the English, don't you remember Braveheart.

5. I just saw it the other day. Maybe it's me, but I didn't take that scene as a dig. I thought they were portrayed as some rather capable operators who captured a couple of big fish and run into a spot of trouble while traveling light.

And I don't recall them being portrayed as specifically Army either. The Ralph Fiennes character made some comments about how much money they'd make for capturing the two they did, which made me think they were "independant contractors" of some sort.

Then the whole thing about the bad guy sniper getting a couple of them, well that's just "sh1te happens". As for the main characters of the story coming to the rescue, well, that's how stories get written. You always know that the guy beaming down in a red shirt that you've never seen before is going to have something unfortunate happen to him. Those characters aren't central to the story.

The more or less technical question of wondering how an EOD Sgt knows how to work a Barrett effectively, is a better question.

6. Is that a Wah?!

The Barrett is a Standard bit of kit in the EOD Tool Box ...

The M82A1 is known by the US military as the SASR — "Special Applications Scoped Rifle", and it was and still is used as an anti-matériel weapon and EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) tool.

We use it for the same purpose in clearing Bomblets and Sub Munitions when deemed not safe to approach... Good fun on the range at Sennybridge escpecially when using API rounds... 8)

7. Mong double post, because I type like I'm wearing mitts.

8. I've seen this movie too, and took the brits to be private security contractors - again, as said above, the situation just seemed to be a bit of an 'its all going pear shaped' moment.

Not once were the brits referred to as being members of HM Forces, and if I remember rightly, wasn't one of them foreign?

For what its worth, I thought it was a damned good film.....

9. Nope, not a wah. Just a bone question then. Like I said, I'm not, nor have ever been EOD. Just seemed strange to me, but I guess it does make sense.

10. Hold on. I didn't actually say that. I'm fcuking up my own editing. Sorry all. I need some sleep.

BTW, over on this side of the pond, it's being run as "The Hurt Locker". Did they change the name for UK release? Kinda like what they did for that Harry Potter flick because septics can't figure out wtf a Philosopher's Stone is? Again, not a wah, just a bone question from someone way the fcuk over on the West Coast of North America.

11. I was a mong and posted the wrong name for the film!

12. Whats a Barrett?? (Just kidding).

13. Watched this today, it's really good. The Brits are not portrayed as incompetent and are definetly PMCs.

14. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Wait a second, dont tell me the outrage bus has departed early?