The Hurdle of Hurdles

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Le_Tomato, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

I was wondering if you'd be able to give me any advice regarding the hurdles as they are a real struggle for me.

I've been using practice hurdles at rugby training which I can do just fine but when it comes to the 1.13m standard I have the agility and technique of a beached whale...

It is really concerning me because my main aim is of course to get through briefing but I fear my inability to hurdle will stop me!

Advice would be most helpful!

2. I failed the hurdles at my briefing but still passed just got a three months delay. I was advised just to set two hurdles up in a field and continue jumps over them till i got it.

My problem was my trailing leg kept hitting the hurdle over, also i was given a training book and the only exercises that could improve this were star jumps, squat thrusts, and step up. :D

Good luck with your briefing

3. Tuck the dam jump suit your wearing in.........the backside of it will for alot of you hit the hurdle on the way over. Unless of course you got a perfect fit, but that's unlikely since they only stock small and X-large haha.

4. Also, there's nothing that says you need to "hurdle" them. You can just jump straight over! Just jump, tuck both feet up and you should be able to sail over. Might not look the sexiest move in the world but you'll pass.

Unless of course it's now prescribed as a proper hurdle jump and I'm hopelessly out of date?

5. Nah you just have to clear it, style is secondary.

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You have to land feet first though, I was made to do it again after diving over head first.

7. Ah yea sorry, good call, it's all about the double footed landing isn't it? Aside from that clearing it however is fine.

8. Cheers for the info guys, especially tucking in the jump suit! Ended up bumping into an actual hurdler who gave me some tips so I'll put them to use.....on the issue of the jump suit I have another question:

Considering that there is apparently a heatwave (its raining in Edinburgh although its humid as hell) will we just have to brace through the heat in jump suit whilst on the MSFT or would it change to shorts & tee?! I ask this because I ran the MSFT today but crashed out at 8.5 - normally I can happily reach 10.8 but the humidity made me cry like a little girl....

Cheers,

Tomato

9. I did my briefing on the 1st/2nd of June and it was boiling, we were told to keep our jumpsuits on! I crashed out at 8.6 i think but it was due to lack of training due to injury.

One guy crashed out with heat exhaustion at level 6ish

10. It was incredibly hot on my Main board an a fella dropped out at level 6 with breathing difficulties (on main board they let you wear shorts and t-shirt but its boiler suits on breifing). Unfortunately you're just going to have to power through it I'd presume. Given that they are always on about it being a BASIC level of fitness. I knew it would be in boiler suits for breifing so I practiced in a tracksuit (granted my breifing was at the end of Jan). But just power through- believe me I went with very low expectations of the fitness and passed them all- it's amazing what competitiveness does to the human spirit. Get as prepared as you possibly can for breifing. Make sure you are thoroughly prepared for Main board- it's the first thing you do and you don't want to look like a t**t or worse- be sent home.

I know its easy for me to say. Just get up to a reasonable standard, and if you aren't there in any aspect just delay your AOSB by a few weeks.

-PAN

11. My old duffer memory must be worse than I thought....

Are these a relatively new part of the board/assessment? I can't remember them at all....

Can remember a lot of it (and that gormless group picture with the numbered bibs)... but not any hurdles.

12. Can anyone tell me the height of the women's hurdles? Thanks.

13. [marq=up]

I assume they are the same as the men, as the outside courses hurdles didn't look like they could be adjusted. If so i think it was either 1m or 1.17m something along those lines :thumleft:

14. I thought the women got a seperate assault course?

15. They may do i was in an all boy group for my briefing, actually thinking about it there was a dogshed saying for girls? Maybe it was down there?