The Humble Poncho

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
That's exactly how I was tought to make a basha. They seldom looked like that in reality.
You were a Crab, right ?

RAF basha.
Taj-Palace-Hotel-in-new-delhi.jpg

That's only a 4 Star.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was given a DPM poncho by a colleague some years back, which served me well until the house psycho continued her ongoing love affair with the dustbin. I miss it.

Troy

LE
I was given a DPM poncho by a colleague some years back, which served me well until the house psycho continued her ongoing love affair with the dustbin. I miss it.
You should have got it all in the loft sooner and camouflaged it or disguised it as a water tank.

I've just bought a plash palatka for evaluation as a shooting mat/rain shelter which makes my civvy DPM nylon poncho STR. You can have it for a small donation to H4H.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yawn….. I wanted to be in the infantry. It was a lot of fun and I had a ball but you on the other.

Oh hang on. you say you have a short attention span!

I’ll leave it there then son.
When I finished my entrance exams and spent the rest of the time following the cracks on the ceiling, pondering as to why some planets spin clockwise and others widdershins, which pub or Indian should I pop to for a late lunch and the various splendid attributes of young ladies of my acquaintance, I was pulled up by the WO2 not waste his or my time. Get back into education, come back in JL or get a feckin' degree and Sandhurst.
Guess who signed up as a Rifleman and never regretted it?

This chap says "I spit on your ponchos! Behold my *Warriness, you peasants!"

3417B613-BD70-4B03-B416-511794712906.jpeg

*Allyness (more correctly 'alliness' but, WTF) for those who don't still speak in middle English like old gits such as myself.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
TBF, the Mk1 crisp packets weren't too bad - taped seams and press studs. It was the Mk2 rubberised velcro horror that made you sweat like a rapist. They were hard wearing. For their time the OG RAF foul weather suits were the best. Goretex changed all that. I still carried a poncho, pegs and bungees in a bum roll tho, with the NBC suit in the other. But yeah, 58 in the 80s? When the yanks had been using butyl Alice packs and webbing since Vietnam?

Still got a crisp packet in a fetching DPM....keep it in the boot of my car in case I get stuck without a coat in the p1ssing rain. Seems to work okay still.

Last edited:
TBF, the Mk1 crisp packets weren't too bad - taped seams and press studs. It was the Mk2 rubberised velcro horror that made you sweat like a rapist. They were hard wearing. For their time the OG RAF foul weather suits were the best. Goretex changed all that. I still carried a poncho, pegs and bungees in a bum roll tho, with the NBC suit in the other. But yeah, 58 in the 80s? When the yanks had been using butyl Alice packs and webbing since Vietnam?

strangely enough around the time of the crisp packets the poncho would have been the best thing to wear because of the air flow inside minimising the sweating but I never ever wore mine or saw anyone wearing their poncho in all of my careeer - it was verbotten. I agree about the RAF OG waterproof though, nothing else came close and even the tank suits got all sweaty inside

If she's anything like my Ex, you should have just stashed it in a kitchen cupboard, or in the cleaning cupboard.

As long as it wasn't anywhere near the TV, sofa or fridge, it would have been perfectly safe.

Mostly mine has been used as a groundsheet when shooting, but I wore it last week when picking up granddaughter (8) from school due to foul weather. It stopped pishin down just as she came out and she asked why the poncho (as opposed to the usual rainwear). I said I was practicing being a tree, striking the appropriate pose. She is no longer embarrassed by such things which is a good life skill.

Edit: why does a figure eight followed by a closing bracket turn into a 'cool' icon?

Latest Threads