The Humble Poncho

If it looks daft but works it isn't daft!

What rifle you shooting?
Enfield No. 4 mk2 with a 6x Leupold scope and an Ishapore 2A in 7.62. Got a Smellie and a Ruger 10-22 as well. Also got slug for fun.

Did anyone ever use their poncho clipped to the feet end of the sleeping bag using the press studs as the designer intended?
Yes, in a 2 man bivvy made from 2 ponchos.
Playing enemy for Danish troops, in Denmark, cunningly concealed in a bit of woodland that overlooked a house containing nubile young ladies. All went well, for about 3 days of close observation, then the Danes arrived and the ambush sprung.
Cue Nordic lady sunbathers running frantically hither & yon, accompanied by enough noise to reenact Rorkes Drift.

Did anyone ever use their poncho clipped to the feet end of the sleeping bag using the press studs as the designer intended?
During the first five weeks at RMAS we were compelled to do so, it was only later in the course we were introduced to the delights of the bivvy.

Having said that I was under the impression that the press studs were designed to hold the sides of the poncho together providing arm holes and allowing you to get soaked in the way @putteesinmyhands mentioned above.

Could of course have been our DS was a LG and he was misguided in his teaching of infantry skills;)

First memory of the poncho was as a recruit.

Joined 14 Jan ‘73, Depot PARA Browning Barracks Aldershot. Two weekends in I was on guard duty on a Saturday when halfway through the day the guard commander got us all together and said “Right, there’s going to be a big dinner tonight in the officers mess. There will be a few generals and brigadiers around so we need to up the security. The IRA have already blown the Brigade mess to bits last year - by the way, this weekend is the first anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

So it came to pass that I spent a nervous few hours on the roof of the officers mess is the pissing rain keeping my SMG - with live rounds - as dry as possible.

I hadn’t been taught anything about the SMG at the time.

No it’s a situation that can occur for many reasons including operational reasons.

In one instance, on a patrol one day, we discovered a command wire in the middle of a field. It was traced to a derelict farm and a large milk churn bomb was discovered in one of the outhouses.

The bomb was detonated and it was decided that we would stake out the farm until the following day to see if any visitors popped by to see what we had done. Sleeping bags were sent in for us to use during the night with helicopters who dropped them off and then lifted out everybody else.

We covertly settled down on the edge of the farm to observe and the sleeping bags were used in turn by those who weren’t on stag.

It poured with rain all night. Go figure. Not bone idleness or incompetence. Just the hand that we were dealt at the time. You just get on with the task in hand.

In other instances, a basher is a luxury that isn’t convenient because you aren’t hanging around for more than a few hours.

However, because the weather is so freezing cold, you hunker down on your feet with all your equipment still on and your weapon in your hands in your sleeping bag to try and keep some warmth while you sleep until it’s your turn to stag. It’s easier if there is something you can lean against while you try to catch a kip.

Of course there are times when you don’t have your doss bag with you and you just get cold and have to suffer it until you move on but that’s soldiering for you.
TLDR as usual.

Troy

LE
During the first five weeks at RMAS we were compelled to do so, it was only later in the course we were introduced to the delights of the bivvy.

Having said that I was under the impression that the press studs were designed to hold the sides of the poncho together providing arm holes and allowing you to get soaked in the way @putteesinmyhands mentioned above.

Could of course have been our DS was a LG and he was misguided in his teaching of infantry skills;)
I meant the little extra row of press studs at the bottom of the poncho:

Poncho studs.png

Studs at foot end.png

Bag and poncho.jpg

Designers basha.jpg

Correct. I did well in the entrance exams.

Never was a cadet.

"Mark Twain — 'I apologize for such a long letter - I didn't have time to write a short one."

You could learn a lot from Mr Twain.
I write what I want when I want how I want to write it!

Skip past my posts or better still put me on ignore.

I’m not worried about arrrsoles reading them!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Such a shame it's normally drivel. Verbose drivel at that.
You said you did better in the entrance exams. That’s just code for you couldn’t cope with being in the infantry so you went for something cushy!

Your initial comment that kicked this discussion off demonstrates that you’ve clearly never had to live in adverse conditions with minimum equipment.

I bet you tell em all up the pub that you were a bally hero though eh!

Jog on son…….

You said you did better in the entrance exams. That’s just code for you couldn’t cope with being in the infantry so you went for something cushy!
It's code for not being thick. Not a very complicated one. But it still defeated you.

Now, if you want to carry on with your teary eyed foot stamping feel free. But keep it short, there's a love.

It's code for not being thick. Not a very complicated one. But it still defeated you.

Now, if you want to carry on with your teary eyed foot stamping feel free. But keep it short, there's a love.

Yawn….. I wanted to be in the infantry. It was a lot of fun and I had a ball but you on the other.

Oh hang on. you say you have a short attention span!

I’ll leave it there then son.

Latest Threads