The House is in Dlouha Street, Number 8

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by roobie, Aug 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In 1995, I was serving with 39 Infantry Brigade, based at Palace Barracks in Holywood. One of the Battalions that formed part of the Brigade counted amongst their ranks a fairly senior Corporal who had once, in his wild and crazy youth, served for 5 years in the French Foreign Legion. I can't name the Battalion involved in order to protect the guilty but let's just say that they were known for enjoying 'Danish Pastries' and going 'Over the Hills and Far Away'.

Anyway, this Corporal (known affectionately as 'Dirty Pierre') was reknowned for mixing French words into English sentences with logic-free abandon. He was also a bit of an alky and supplemented his income by cutting hair cheaply around camp.

One day, he was doing the rounds in one of the junior ranks' accommodation blocks. After shearing a few, he took one look at the double-crowned head of the next lad in line and shouted across to me, 'can you chuck me my posh clippers, mon ami, this one's got mal 'air 'ere'. Read it out loud...

Anyway, the funny thing is that the young lad in question caught something tropical and nasty in Belize and was laid up for weeks with feverish chills. LOL!
  2. Did you hand in your sense of humour, cognitive language skills and in-built babble filter when you left the forces?
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

roobie is obviously a gentleman of Asian extraction as his name comes from the times when he was being dry bummed and he would constanly cry out "Use roobie, prease. Velly soah" "Roobie".
  4. 39 Infantry Regiment?????? the 39th Regiment of Foot were The Dorsetshire Regiment surly
  5. Sure he just hasn't misspelt "roofies"?
    • Like Like x 1

6. I know who invented the Infantry.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Who, do tell?
  8. Tropper.......obviously
  9. I am not sure if you have just fallen for a wah or just stated the obvious!!! The former me thinks :)
  10. F@ck off I was in the Cavalry
  11. Cunt (/ˈkʌnt/) is a vulgarism, primarily referring to the female genitalia, specifically the vulva, and including the cleft of Venus. The earliest citation of this usage in the 1972 Oxford English Dictionary, c 1230, refers to the London street known as Gropecunt Lane. Scholar Germaine Greer has said that "it is one of the few remaining words in the English language with a genuine power to shock."[

Cunt is also used informally as a derogatory epithet in referring to a person of either sex, but this usage is relatively recent, dating back only as far as the late nineteenth century. Reflecting different national usages, the Compact Oxford English Dictionary defines cunt as "an unpleasant or stupid person", whereas Merriam-Webster has a usage of the term as "usually disparaging & obscene: woman", noting that it is used in the US as "an offensive way to refer to a woman"; the Macquarie Dictionary of Australian English defines it as "a despicable man", however when used with a positive qualifier (good, funny, clever, etc.) in countries such as Britain, New Zealand and Australia, it conveys a positive sense of the object or person referred to.

The word appears to have been in common usage from the Middle Ages until the eighteenth century. After a period of disuse, usage became more frequent in the twentieth century, in parallel with the rise of popular literature and pervasive media. The term also has various other derived uses and, like fuck and its derivatives, has been used mutatis mutandis as noun, pronoun, adjective, participle and other parts of speech.
  12. WOW I'm amazed
  13. Curses! Foiled again!!

Snidley Whiplash.jpg Snidley Whiplash.jpg
  14. At what, my powerful mastery of Wikipedia? You're easily amused.
  15. I meant 39 Inf Brigade (obviously). Easy mistakea to makea; was original going to name the Regt but decided against it. Chimp.