The Home Office...great ideas at the drop of a hat.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Biscuits_AB, Apr 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It really is frightening how completely naive and ignorant are the ideas emitting from every branch of government these days. Joking apart, there really doesn't seem to be a mature adult with some life experience who can make rational judgements about what is feasible or sensible out in the real world.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. I know a tech geek who uses a smart phone to control a computer by remote using a proxy and the computer at another location downloads his torrents via a proxy, renames them with an innocuous file name with a script that also pings the downloads to some cloud storage for later and apparently legit download. None of his trail is UK based as all the IP adresses come up as overseas.

I suspect the HO has not worked out how far up the road people are with their IT security and base their ideas on 1990's Hollyweird movies.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Offering up bad ideas to be shot down is part of the process, offering them in the public sphere is part of the democratic process. So far so good. Where the original post strikes the mark is the paucity of ideas and absence of good briefing from civil service departments and that reflects on the quality of the staff and the systems in place. Countries tend to get the... and so on.

4. In my opinion the nerds will always outsmart the government on this.

May is a mindless scare-mongerer just like Smith, Blunkett and Reid before her.

However I fear this one will get through - Clegg is arguing for "safeguards" which means he has already accepted the idea in principle. It will be the NHS Bill all over again - a ******* catastrophe nobody voted for but the government forces through, thanks to the demented mindset in this country that governments have that if they cannot pass any bill they wish, they "cannot govern".

God help us.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, but the problem is the idea which get humiliated like this will still be rammed through regards of how stupid it is.

It won't work, what sunnoficarus described will run rings around the Home Office. But they will ram it through.

To what cost, and I don't mean the kind you can put a pound sign on.
  6. As ever, it will be the largely innocent, blameless and plain unlucky who get caught up in this if it becomes law. Look at the CSA, CRB, post-Dunblaine gun laws. Bastards still fathering bastards with reckless abandon, my neighbour the electrician having to be CRB'd over and over to allow him to fix a lightswitch in a school and countless shooters barred from their sport but the boys from TRIDENT still as busy as ever... Good ideas in principle -perhaps- but in practice 'FAIL': Mark Duggen, the scum in Stockwell who shot the little Sri Lankan girl, that nonce in Soham...
  7. The IT department in my old Whitehall office was christened by its own technicians (who are never consulted on policy decisions) with the logo "Yesterday's technology tomorrow!" The policy makers really do not have a clue and, worse, listen to nobody. Sunnoficarus puts it succinctly - the experts run rings around the government, which is probably why vast projects cost so much, and then don't work.

Incidentally, the Americans are building a colossal new "super-snooper" HQ to do exactly the same job on a global basis. Why not just buy the information off them?
  8. This is because those at the top of these government branches are "yes men" who were promoted because they blindly supported the former leaders' ideas. Blind leading the blind .......
  9. I had the dubious pleasure of witnessesing a speech on cyber crime/security by Charles Clarke when Home Secretary.

It was like watching word salad being served up by a bored dyslexic waiter, he [probably wisely] then made sure he had "no time for questions" and cleared out. Doubtless he had heard the knives being sharpened in the audience looking forward to doing his legs properly.

It's funny watching the government mess this up with the Infernalweb. It's like watching a child try to eat jelly by hitting it with a hammer, and then being surprised it goes everywhere. You then offer a spoon to help things speed up, and they throw a wobbler and then press on.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Of course the other problem with the naivety of the Goobermint about IT?
    They seem to have completely missed the rather arkward issue of IP hijacking. Got someone you don't like and can ping their current IP? Stick it in and log on to something naughty or one of their fav forums and say something that will get them in the shit.
    Neenaw, neenaw, neenaw…
  11. I like the quote in the article about ministers being technologically clueless, although i would say that should read fundamentally clueless.
    Those wishing enter politics at the moment seem to need a CV that includes;
    Being under 50 preferably by at least a decade or two
    never having had a job outside of politics
    "worked" as a politicians aide (hand bag carrier/PA)
    Being completely removed from day to day practicalities and believing in Father christmas and the tooth fairies.
  12. The idea is still a pile of shite no matter who is reporting on it.
  13. I read in the paper this morning that their newest plan is to microchip every dog in the country to stop them being bred for fighting. There was no mention of how this was going to work, or how they planned to put it into practice, and they seemed to have completely missed the point that only law abiding people (i.e. not the sort of people who own fighting dogs) would take any notice anyway.
    • Like Like x 3