The Home Guards in WW2 and the 50s

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by semper, Feb 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. this is a question i would like to ask the arrse membership.
    i have been reading up about the HG, they were volunteers and doing the job unpaid, yet toward the end many HG staffies stayed at home and rarely turned up for parade nights.
    i would have thought that would have been classed as a military offence, so the question is.
    are the HGs classed as "civilian in green" so is able to avoid military censure ?
    hopefully somebody could clear this up cheers

2. Well when the threat of invasion ended i guess no one was too bothered about the home guard

3. surely we should be able to hunt these old f*ckers down like nazi war criminals and have them banged up in the glasshouse for dereliction of duty

if they're dead , hold their families to account for abandoning the country to the threat of invasion from korea.

4. Don't forget, the Home Guard was disbanded in 1944 when the threat of invasion became meaningless. That's why many rifle clubs are called '-----(1944) Rifle and pistol Club. Have a look at:
    http://www.home-guard.org.uk/

5. My father was HG. He was stood down in -year I don't recall - but appropriae to woody's suggestion. He was then directed to be a Fire Watcher. Sounds like the job that could be done at home but in fact was positioned on high building with a phone and reported fires in an industrial area. From his stories, I think it was more a card school and tea drinkers club. He was quite old then - early 60s so I cannot think there was much else he could have done anyway.

6. Bravo Shortfuse.

The old godgers feel it is their right to bore us with endless stories about pan- bashing in North Africa or latrine duty in Crete but very few of them are honest enough to tell us about Sect 24 and their "misconduct in the vicinity of the enemy". I think their actions are almost collaberation. We should shave their heads and draw Swastikas on them.

They should be brought to justice. These are the kind of buggers who shopped on the black market and helped nuns disguised as Nazi paratroopers. Make an example of them all. Carrying on like those lot will get us a reputation... like the French.

Does anyone know of one of these idle, war-shy, coffin-dodging traitors. If so, shop him in.

7. can we stay on topic , nazi hunting and so on could be in another thread.
    thanks for the HG weblink scalie

my main question is whats the military status of HG ?

8. stood down 1944 disbanded 1945 guess its non exsistant now. apart
    from some old codgers in the legion.never achevied a lot but spose
    it was good for morale

9. We shall never know whether or not they would have had any effect had the invasion taken place. There were all sorts of people trained to disrupt things behind the lines. I am sure that quite a lot of the HG had experience of WW1 and were able riflemen etc

10. When the commando's were practicing their raid on St. Nazairre, they used the Home Guard of Southampton or Portsmouth ( can't remember which), and were so severly maulled in the 'wargame' they had serious second thoughts.

Well done, Jonesy, Uncle Arthur, Pike (don't tell them your name), Mannering, Walker, Godfrey et al

11. Great site.

They weren't totally redundant after the demise of Op Sealion. Our rail network became a long, thin supply dump prior to Overlord and they were used to guard it.

In fact some of them only recently finished flogging the err, 'fallout' to people like Rocketeer. :D

12. I read an article somewhere which pointed out that in 1940/1 there were still about 3 million WW1 veterans living in UK. Despite being mostly aged 40-something, they (a) already hated the Hun, and (b) shared a great pool of combat experience. Many of the Home Guard units were apparently quite formidable (especially in defence where they didn't need to run around quite so much!) - "winning" FTXs over both UK and US regular troops.

I don't know if there is a website or historical source that covers the 1980s Home Defence Force (HDF), which was the modern successor to the HG?

13. http://www.studio44.co.uk/HSF/

Home service force, my old man was in it after he came out of the regs, got paid about £100 a year for turning up once a year!

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Force (HKVDC) had a 'Home Guard', sometimes known as the Hughsilers, which saw action in the Battle of Hongkong in December 1942.

They did very well, thier most famous action being at Tai Koo bus depot. Pte Sir E Des Vaux, an octogenarian, was order to withdraw but declined on the grounds that he was too old to run around and prefered to stay behind and take pot shots at the Japanese. He held them up for some time before being killed. He is reputed to be the oldest allied serviceman killed in action action against the enemy in WW2.

The Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers) continued to have a Home Guard Squadron until disbandment in 1995.

15. Private Sir....rare and impressive!