The Home Guard - Channel 4 now

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by jest265, Feb 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick reminder that the programme about the Home Guard in on channel 4 now - Monday 27th 21.00

2. bollox forgot to set the video was watching life on mars anyone record this ?

3. Clock says 23:42, i take it that i have missed it, bo11ocks.

was it any good ?

4. Speaking of the Home Guard, does anyone out there by any miracle know which regiment David Freeman-Mitford (Lord Redesdale) served with during WWI?

Desperate for something to read, I decided yesterday to re-read Nancy Mitford's largely autobiographical "The Pursuit of Love". There is an amusing bit about her father’s entrenching tool hung over the family fireplace as a trophy with human blood and hair still stuck to it. Apparently he had used it to “whack to death eight Germans one by one as they crawled out of a dug out.” Funny guy! He served in the Home Guard during WWII.

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

yeah...very fair treatment...made the point that the training at Osterly Park by a number of people with first-hand experience of guerilla warfare from the Spanish Civil War was EXACTLY what the guys wanted.....and why the War Office started to get a bit concerned...largely because the main driving force - Tom Wintringham apparentely - was a proud and unabashed Communist who had commanded the British contingent of the International Brigade....

EDIT: here y'go:
    Interesting interview with an old chap who'd been a teenage Home Guard in Cornwall when the 'Invasion Imminent' codeword was actually sent out, in Sept 1940.......brought it home to you what these fellers were actually about......he had absolutely no illusions that the battle hardened Wehrmacht would have gone through them like sh1t through a goose....but they still ' grabbed a gat and stagged on '....respect Gents.......next week is all about the fortifications put in place all over the country to slow down the invading Hun....all now slipping into briar-covered hedges....

Le Chevre

6. That was really good last night!
    Wasn't the chappy with all the experience who set it up at Osterly Park called Tom Wintringham?

Yup - here's the link Tom W

Edited to add the link

7. I Liked the "Roller Skating home guard"" Into action. :) And the "Sticky Bomb" :( Fcuk that thing for a game of soldiers....

8. I taped it last night, so cant comment of the programme but it looks good.

From memory ther were to parts of the reistance plan, one was the formed unit Home Guard side of things, and the other was the stay behind SOE type of organisation. Does the programme go into them both?

9. Its due to be repeated on the History Channel in a few weeks/months! Keep an eye out for it next time round...

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I am sure I saw it on the History Channel last year sometime.

11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

My dad ( who was an under age LDV at 14 in 1940 - until he got found out and dragged home by his ear) thought they were bloody lethal...and not exclusively to the enemy ......as he subsequently passed out of Infantry training with the Artists Rifles ( later 23(V) SAS) and is not renowned for line-shooting, I took his word for it......he said the sticky bombs worked though :) ...would have been some very dead Home Guards and maybe one or two puzzled , shocked and awed Panzer commanders around !

" desparate times call for desparate measures, Your Majesty....."

12. Grabbed a gat and stagged on?

Grabbed a bl00dy pike, having watched the programme last night . . . . .

A WW1 18" bayonet welded to a 5' length of steel pipe, Germans for the prodding and provoking of.

Apparently 1/4 million of these pikes were made, but very few were issued as the CoC was too ashamed to hand them out :)

13. I remember reading about the sticky bomb

It was never cleared for use by the government as it was just as likely to kill the user

However the commandos liked it and took it on and it found its way into use

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Did anyone burn a dvd of the programme ?
    I'm unable to get Ch 4 and am consequently buggered.

15. It was certainly in use in the Army by El Alemein. It was about the only effective infantry anti tank weapon. Somewhere there is a contemporary acocpuntby the journalist Alan Morehead of some brave Assuies knocking out German tanks with them in the 1st battle of El Alemein.

The Home Guard TV programme was good.

Tom Winteringham and his crowd had another indirect influence on the British Army. This crowd included a spanish civil war veteran -a Czech officer called Miksche who wrote a book called "Blitzkreig" published in 1940. As far as I can see is one of the first people to wrtite in English about the merits of routinely forming all arms combat teams at company level and decentralised aertillery as part of a web/ island defence. I wonder if he was the inspiration for some of the innovations that Auickinleck tried to implement in the Werstern Desert -and reversed by Montgomery. Post war the British Army ended up with tactical conceptsa closer to Miktsche's.

Here is a link to a page about Miksche. http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cats/21/3342.htm