The Holiday is over

Is he an idiot because he claimed he voted to leave the EU or just a general idiot for not getting his shiit together.
17.5 million of us voted to leave the organisation they like to call the EU.
I guess we are all idiots to some, eh.

Don't forget your racism, homophobia, white privilege, unconscious bias, climate change denier and you hate kittens.

Is he an idiot because he claimed he voted to leave the EU or just a general idiot for not getting his shiit together.
Or perhaps a nice journalist offered to bung him fifty quid if he said he voted for Brexit, so that the nice journalist could give us a condescending look and an 'I told you so' article.
They still haven't accepted the result, and I don't think they ever will. They are seething inside, looking for any scrap of bad Brexit news, which they will throw at us, expecting us to see the error of our ways and, with puppy dog eyes, apologise for our mistake and ask if we can come back.

Their angst gives me a wonderful warm feeling inside, something like Holly from Red Dwarf when he went into 'Smug Mode'.

Kryten, not Holly.
Thanks A signaller.

Last edited:
I have been in Canary Islands nearly 15 years now. Took residencia during first couple of months. Swapped driving licence for Spanish one ( that's another story). Registered fiscally . Lots of swallows moaning cannot come here now like they used to (pre covid). The only ones I know who were here full time and who did not have residence were basically avoiding tax (in some cases avoiding both Spanish and UK tax). Various excuses but dig deeper into their excuses and it usually boils down to tax. I have paid my way in full my whole time here, get by language wise and would say my best friends here are mostly Spanish. In short...tough shit folks ...you ain't here legally...adiós. ( note most of those complaining usually sat in their little English bar, speaking English, having their fish and chips with their English clique...whining about the bloody foreigners in UK that not integrating and should be sent back.....)

Begs a question...perhaps Interpol etc have a finger in the pie.
Tin foil hat perhaps, but a good "opportunity" to flush a few undesirables out a bit quicker.

A little perspective is called for perhaps, the headlines scream 'thousands' then the article itself says 500 are due to leave, out of about 300,000 pax.
(We have all worked with people who are an absolute admin nightmare, the only paperwork they ever got right was a leave pass or travel warrant.)

I do wonder what the reasons for refusal are though for those that did apply legally.
Probably insufficient level of income provable to the authorities.
Or to the taxman.

Here in Denmark, we've just got to re-apply this year. All the different age groups have been asked to apply during different time periods so everyone didn't apply at once and swamp the system.
My son is thinking of relocating to Denmark sometime in the more distant future...depending on how a relationship pans out. I'm correct that incomers cannot purchase property? "She" could naturally...but the issue may lie in principal borrowers income. Bloody expensive to live there too?

A bit of both probably.

However he had a system that allowed him free reign to live and / or work in Spain (or anywhere else in Europe).
He voted against that system, despite taking full advantage of it.
Now he wonders why it has come to bite him in the arse.

I have absolutely zero sympathy and strongly suspect that there are thousands more like him

A little perspective is called for perhaps, the headlines scream 'thousands' then the article itself says 500 are due to leave, out of about 300,000 pax.
(We have all worked with people who are an absolute admin nightmare, the only paperwork they ever got right was a leave pass or travel warrant.)

I do wonder what the reasons for refusal are though for those that did apply legally.
Probably insufficient level of income provable to the authorities.
Or to the taxman.
I obtained Settle Status for EU people that were claiming benefits and technically homeless

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm inclined to think those who are refused will be the "Bargain Brits in the Sun", as seen on television. Live on a caravan park, with other Brits, speak only English and spend SFA money.
They bring nothing to the table.
We knew a family that left hastily a few years back, the Spanish Police turned up one day and removed four high end motor cars, all of which had been reported stolen by their owners while on holiday in Europe and paid out for????
plus not paying for their water
and lots of other little deals
none of them has ever had a legitimate job, and always seem to appear in the local rag for petty pilfering
when they first left for Spain car theft dropped in this area ?

Or perhaps a nice journalist offered to bung him fifty quid if he said he voted for Brexit, so that the nice journalist could give us a condescending look and an 'I told you so' article.
They still haven't accepted the result, and I don't think they ever will. They are seething inside, looking for any scrap of bad Brexit news, which they will throw at us, expecting us to see the error of our ways and, with puppy dog eyes, apologise for our mistake and ask if we can come back.

Their angst gives me a wonderful warm feeling inside, something like kryten from Red Dwarf when he went into 'Smug Mode'.
fixed.

My son is thinking of relocating to Denmark sometime in the more distant future...depending on how a relationship pans out. I'm correct that incomers cannot purchase property? "She" could naturally...but the issue may lie in principal borrowers income. Bloody expensive to live there too?

I think the rule is that you have to be resident to own property. I'm not Danish and have had no problems buying houses yet. Property can be expensive near the larger cities, but you can get a lot for your money in some areas of Jutland, Fyn (Funen) and especially Lolland (maybe not quite so much work there though).

The cost of living (and taxes) is high, but so are the wages, so it evens out pretty much. To be honest, I've probably got a better standard of living here, than I'd have in the UK with a similar job.

Last edited:
A bit of both probably.

However he had a system that allowed him free reign to live and / or work in Spain (or anywhere else in Europe).
He voted against that system, despite taking full advantage of it.
Now he wonders why it has come to bite him in the arse.

I have absolutely zero sympathy and strongly suspect that there are thousands more like him
Yes of course we are idiots.
We'll never be able to live and work outside of the UK ever again.
Grr Brexit, you fvcking halfwit.

No hard feelings, eh.

Begs a question...perhaps Interpol etc have a finger in the pie.
Tin foil hat perhaps, but a good "opportunity" to flush a few undesirables out a bit quicker.
I doubt it. The ones who were smart enough to avoid the attentions of Interpol before Brexit, are no doubt savvy enough to keep far enough inside the new law.

Yes of course we are idiots.
We'll never be able to live and work outside of the UK ever again.
Grr Brexit, you fvcking halfwit.

No hard feelings, eh.
You seem to have a very black and white view of things.

There was, and is, plenty wrong with the EU and plenty that I am happy to see the back of. On balance though leaving one of the world's pre-eminent trading blocks, in a world that is becoming increasingly globalised, is economic stupidity. The export figures this prove that.

The EU is rife with political stupidity, at all levels, but there is bugger all that we can do about that now.

You seem to have a very black and white view of things.

There was, and is, plenty wrong with the EU and plenty that I am happy to see the back of. On balance though leaving one of the world's pre-eminent trading blocks, in a world that is becoming increasingly globalised, is economic stupidity. The export figures this prove that.

The EU is rife with political stupidity, at all levels, but there is bugger all that we can do about that now.
I think we have won the Brexit argument.
Calling leavers 'idiots' put's you square in the "Dumb cvnt that didn't know what they were voting for" section of society.
"one of the world's pre-eminent trading blocks, in a world that is becoming increasingly globalised, is economic stupidity. The export figures this prove that."
Is that the same declining EU trading block we know and love and would your screechy reference to "Export Figures" be the same figures not at all influenced by the CV19 pandemic and knock on effect to world wide demand or ar you thinking of some other influencing factors?
FYI, don't you live as an expat in Hong Kong or China?

Latest Threads