The hobbit 48 frames per second

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by MARTOK, Dec 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The following is from the BBC news website:

Director Peter Jackson has defended shooting The Hobbit trilogy in a new format at 48 frames per second after a mixed response from film critics.
    Since 1927, the standard frame rate - the number of frames or images that are projected per second - has been 24 frames per second.
    "24 frames is jarring to me now," Jackson told the BBC.
    "It looks primitive. Change is good, it takes people some time to get used to it," he added.
    "Ultimately, it's not critics who are going to decide if this (the new format) is going to be adopted or not, it's the audience."
    "(There will always be) people who have a particular strong feeling that film should be unchanged and that we got it right in 1927, just like there are people who play vinyl records still, whereas most of the world has moved to CDs and we got used to that."
    However viewers will only be able to watch the film being projected at the increased frame rate in a small proportion of cinemas. Most will be showing the film at the traditional rate of 24 frames per second.

My query is if the film was shot at 48 frames per second and is shown at 24 frames per second why isnt it in slow motion?

2. I imagine that in these days of computerised non-linear editing, it would be possible to produce separate 24fps and 48fps release reels. Or indeed that if it's digitally distributed, then there'll be a 24fps version and a 48fps version.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's the rate it's captured at that counts. With modern 'video' (ha ha ha!) cameras it's possible to dial in all sorts of frame rates/compression rates/codec doohickies by the way.

Increasingly features are shot on digital camera such as the Arri Alexa, Red, or one of the Sony F series. This especially the case when a large amount of CGI is involved.

Officiandos claim that there is nothing like proper film for shooting and for the look. They need to catch up with the 21st century.

4. Don't know but I took my youngest to see it this afternoon in 3d and it was very sharp and clear, and ******* epic.