The Hill

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Taz_786, Aug 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone seen this?

Black-and-white film about a harsh military stockade in N. Africa during WW2

Iv had it on Sky+ for ages and finally got round to watching it.

A fine film, highly recommended!
  2. Sean Connery before Bond came along,bl**dy good film
  3. An excellent film, as was Ice Cold In Alex; Harry Andrews was in both.
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Actually Sean had done a couple of Bond moves before The Hill.
  5. Great film. The Hill actually existed in Heliopolis, according to George MacDonald Fraser in the MacAuslan books.
  6. Talking about Sky, have they got any other films other than BAT21?
    How many times has that been fcuking shown?
  7. I recorded this off TCM ages ago, they tend to repeat the same old stuff.
  8. A great film.

Does anyone know if it was based on a book?

I read "Ice Cold in Alex" and was pleased to discover that in the original it was actually the NCO and not the officer who gets the girl. That also explains why John Mills shouts at Sylvia Syms "stop thinking about your love life and get on with it!" which wouldn't make sense if they were having it away... as you'd know if you'd watched it 50 times already [slinks away embarrassed]
  9. Yes, the book is far better, which says something,
  10. The Hill is a superb film. My favourite scene is where the RSM quells the riot in the cell block. Holding Kings Regs (i.e. QRs of the time) aloft he threatens to charge the ring-leaders with mutiny (which I think attracted the death penalty). When someone shouts "who are the ring-leaders?" he replies "every fifth man!" In no time at all they are back in line, stood to attention and quiet. Powerful stuff. Wouldn't work these PC days but there was war on, things aren't the way they used to be, aren't the policemen looking younger, etc.