The Higgs Boson

I've been trying to tell the guys at CERN that the Higgs has been floating in and out of reality in the "Are You Religious?" thread for the last few years but to no avail.

Until now.

Short Sharp Science: Leaked CERN video shows glimpse of the Higgs

Apparently it'll all be unveiled tomorrow, finally we'll have news about the biggest scientific discovery of the century.

Leaked CERN video shows glimpse of the Higgs

With all eyes on CERN in advance of tomorrow's Higgs update it appears that someone has slipped up and given us a sneak peak. In a video posted on CERN's website but dated tomorrow, Joe Incandela, spokesperson for the CMS experiment, confirms that they have found a new particle, but stops short of calling it the Higgs.

We've observed a new particle. We have quite strong evidence that there's something there, so to ascertain its properties is still going to take us a little bit of time.

CERN has told the Telegraph that this one of several videos they have made, for each possible outcome, so we'll have to wait until tomorrow for full confirmation.

In the video, Incandela goes on to say the particle decays to two protons, meaning it is a boson, a particle with integer spin, and its mass is roughly 130 times that of the proton. That would put it at around 121 GeV, while the Higgs is expected to show up at 125 GeV - but Incandela's wording is loose enough that the Higgs confirmed tomorrow could be closer to that figure.

He also calls it "one of the biggest discoveries in our field in the last 30 to 40 years", adding "I'm extremely tired at the moment, so I may not appear to be as excited as I really am, but the significance of this observation could be very very great."

We also don't yet know whether this particle is consistent with the standard-model Higgs, or if it doesn't exactly match up. "If that's the case, then we have something really quite profound here," says Incandela. "It could be a gateway, if you like, to the next phase of exploring the deepest fabric of the universe, which is pretty profound when you think about it."

These results are still preliminary, however. Incandela compares the amount of data recorded to the number of grains of sand that would fill an Olympic swimming pool, while only "tens, or dozens" represent the observations that could be the Higgs. "We've just got enough data to say it's definitely there and it's very unlikely to go away."

There is still the possibility this observation is not the Higgs, however. "It may be something which we often call a Higgs-like particle," says Incandela. "If it doesn't match in a significant way then we may be able to find that out this year."

Video here:

Leaked video from Cern hints that the LHC may have found a Higgs-like particle - Telegraph

Have we found Higgs or not? What does this mean for physics? Could the Higgs be made up of more fundamental particles? We live in interesting times.

~D.C.

Long post there.

He was in the smoking thread earlier.

See, no need for lots of words.

On a slightly more serious note, the whole experiment is fraught with accidents, hold ups, glitches and cock ups.

Is there a higher intelligence throwing spanners?

Well the video was made 29.06.2012 and Joe stated more tests were needed, so may be they're going to announce tomorrow they've either found it, or Hans has dropped a piece of bratty in the machine, again.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm impressed that the video 'went live on the internet due to a technical fault'.

Fills me with confidence, that does. Now sitting here fingers crossed that a black hole doesn't start forming somewhere near Geneva... ;-)

Oh I hope, I really really hope, they strapped Higgsy into a chair like a research beagle, forced a Benson and Hedges into his gob and lit him up and made him say I am the god particle

Just heard some science chap on the radio saying something along the lines of "the research has no practical use, it won't affect the price of your shopping for example, but it will help us understand how the universe was formed".

Right.

Now how about putting all the expensive technology, money and brainpower into doing something effin' useful for a change - like figuring alternatives to fossil fuel and coal fire power stations.

Rodney2q

I thought they said the LHC was slightly underpowered?

Have we found Higgs or not? What does this mean for physics? Could the Higgs be made up of more fundamental particles? We live in interesting times.

~D.C.
I reckon someone's research budget is under review again?

All we need now is a report from the Police to say they'll be more riots, akin to last year, if the budget cuts go ahead.

What there is . . . ? We'll I'll be blowed! 8O

Just when I thought that my vital work here was done... some are now claiming that the boson is work of the Devil, Satan's dust, such discoveries are a sin etc. Others are claiming that it's gods magic or jesus said "behold the LHC for it is my fathers toy"...or something like that!

What next?

Collide a christian and a muslim together at the speed of light and see what happens... :)

Just heard some science chap on the radio saying something along the lines of "the research has no practical use, it won't affect the price of your shopping for example, but it will help us understand how the universe was formed".

Right.

Now how about putting all the expensive technology, money and brainpower into doing something effin' useful for a change - like figuring alternatives to fossil fuel and coal fire power stations.

Rodney2q
Sounds familiar that! I vaguely remember seeing a quote from someone famous to the effect that computers were of very little use and that the total requirement was for only a handful.

Sounds familiar that! I vaguely remember seeing a quote from someone famous to the effect that computers were of very little use and that the total requirement was for only a handful.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than one-and-a-half tonnes."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

"I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last the year."
- Chief Business Editor, Prentice Hall, 1957

"There is no reason anyone in the right state of mind will want a computer in their
home."
- Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

"Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless."
"Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop."
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

"The world is coming to an end. Please log orff."
- Posix 2.1.1 System Shutdown Message

"640k is enough for anyone, and by the way, what's a network?"
- William Gates III, President of Microsoft Corporation, 1984.

:)

Rodney2q

"There is no reason anyone in the right state of mind will want a computer in their
home."
- Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

Rodney2q
Fair point...

Them international subnuclear physicists must be ******* as thick as ******* mince. I mean if you are looking for a particle which is responsible for mass then why build a **** off huge tunnel through half of France and most of Switzerland with absolutely **** all inside it?

If you are looking for something responsible for mass then a huge artificial vacuum is a shit place to start and is well expensive.

If it were my experiment I would have saved billions by looking for the Higgs Lardon inside a Big Mac, or by accellerating hot pies at lazy bastard American kids!

Right.

Rodney2q
Similar things where said about studying electrons, protons, anti-matter etc. Thankfully scientists studied them anyway, leading to telephones, radio, electric lights, computers, TV, PET scanners, x-rays, the WWW and so on.

-

Right.

Rodney2q
They have I belive a cunning plan when the world runs out of oil ect they will boot up this machine and start the universe all over again