The hidden meaning behind the Teletubbies

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Weissbier, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A senior Polish official has ordered psychologists to investigate whether the popular BBC TV show Teletubbies promotes a homosexual lifestyle.

The spokesperson for children's rights in Poland, Ewa Sowinska, singled out Tinky Winky, the purple character with a triangular aerial on his head.

"I noticed he was carrying a woman's handbag," she told a magazine. "At first, I didn't realise he was a boy."

EU officials have criticised Polish government policy towards homosexuals.

Ms Sowinska wants the psychologists to make a recommendation about whether the children's show should be broadcast on public television.

Poland's authorities have recently initiated a series of moves to outlaw the promotion of homosexuality among the nation's children.

Tinky Winky's psychological evaluation is being treated fairly light-heartedly by many people here.

One radio station asked its listeners to vote for the most suspicious children's show. Some e-mailed in, saying that Winnie the Pooh had only male friends.

Even Ms Sowinska has backtracked a little, insisting that she does not believe the Teletubbies is a threat to the nation's children. But the evaluation is still going ahead and her office can recommend that the show should be taken off the air.

Poland was criticised recently after its education ministry announced plans to sack teachers who promote homosexuality.

Last month the European Union singled out Poland for criticism in its resolution condemning homophobia in the 27-member bloc.

This is the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6698753.stm

I think we should be told! 8O

2. While we're at it, let's investigate Bill and Ben, Rainbow, Playschool - in fact any pre-1990 kids show.

Bloody hell, it's ridiculous state of affairs!!

3. Not actually knowing what is on Polish TV I can't comment but if they tried this on UK TV then about 95% of everything they show would be banned. :)

4. Wasn't there a similar outcry a couple of years here??

Sparky

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

One of the spam televangelists (Fallwell IIRC) went off on one about this years ago. It seems that the Poles are a little late in arriving at this particular party (not to mention out of step with the rest of the EU - but that's what you get when you have rabidly right wing RC identical twins as President and Prime Minister).

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Allow subversive or overt promotion of gayness? Wouldn't happen in this country. I'm so glad I live in the UK where such disreputable activities are quite rightly banned! I'm pleased that the poles are following our lead . . .

Oh, wait out . . .

Correction, I'm so sorry I'm not a Polish national and live in a country where we do not promote biologically repellent activities to minors, or promote and support under-age sex whilst keeping the knowledge of such activities hidden from the parents.

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Rubbish. What about Kanga? She was clearly a girl kangaroo...

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I wonder what Ms Sowinska's position is on Muffin the Mule?

Overheard in conversation - Ms Sowinska's Grandad, 1939...

"We must stamp out the scourge of homosexual literature eninating from the Brothers Grimm. Little Red Riding Hood is as camp as Christmas and... Hang about. Those tanks? Were they there yesterday? And why is Von Ribbentrop treating us to a fly-past?"

9. Coffee on keyboard again :D :D

10. 'Dave played Tinky Winky, the tall purple member of the group of four unslim characters with built-in TV screens who inhabit a disturbingly brightly lit landscape'

Ewa Sowinska didn't get any of his Tubby Custard, she's clearly embittered

11. Muffin the mule should be investigated, definately.

Also big cook little cook anyone? They are the 'gay-est' couple on TV!

12. Cap't Pugwash...right up each other..

13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Urban myth, and the author sues.

That Barney the Purple (Sodding) Dinosaur on the other hand....

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Captain Puwash and Master Bates anyone? It doesn't get worse than that.

15. Captain Pugwash had all hetrosexual characters I'll have you know........
    with Seaman Staines, Master Baites who had nothing to do with Roger the cabin boy