The hidden meaning behind the Teletubbies

A senior Polish official has ordered psychologists to investigate whether the popular BBC TV show Teletubbies promotes a homosexual lifestyle.

The spokesperson for children's rights in Poland, Ewa Sowinska, singled out Tinky Winky, the purple character with a triangular aerial on his head.

"I noticed he was carrying a woman's handbag," she told a magazine. "At first, I didn't realise he was a boy."

EU officials have criticised Polish government policy towards homosexuals.

Ms Sowinska wants the psychologists to make a recommendation about whether the children's show should be broadcast on public television.

Poland's authorities have recently initiated a series of moves to outlaw the promotion of homosexuality among the nation's children.

Tinky Winky's psychological evaluation is being treated fairly light-heartedly by many people here.

One radio station asked its listeners to vote for the most suspicious children's show. Some e-mailed in, saying that Winnie the Pooh had only male friends.

Even Ms Sowinska has backtracked a little, insisting that she does not believe the Teletubbies is a threat to the nation's children. But the evaluation is still going ahead and her office can recommend that the show should be taken off the air.

Poland was criticised recently after its education ministry announced plans to sack teachers who promote homosexuality.

Last month the European Union singled out Poland for criticism in its resolution condemning homophobia in the 27-member bloc.

This is the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6698753.stm

I think we should be told! 8O

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
While we're at it, let's investigate Bill and Ben, Rainbow, Playschool - in fact any pre-1990 kids show.

Bloody hell, it's ridiculous state of affairs!!

Not actually knowing what is on Polish TV I can't comment but if they tried this on UK TV then about 95% of everything they show would be banned. :)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the spam televangelists (Fallwell IIRC) went off on one about this years ago. It seems that the Poles are a little late in arriving at this particular party (not to mention out of step with the rest of the EU - but that's what you get when you have rabidly right wing RC identical twins as President and Prime Minister).

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Allow subversive or overt promotion of gayness? Wouldn't happen in this country. I'm so glad I live in the UK where such disreputable activities are quite rightly banned! I'm pleased that the poles are following our lead . . .

Oh, wait out . . .

Correction, I'm so sorry I'm not a Polish national and live in a country where we do not promote biologically repellent activities to minors, or promote and support under-age sex whilst keeping the knowledge of such activities hidden from the parents.

Weissbier said:
One radio station asked its listeners to vote for the most suspicious children's show. Some e-mailed in, saying that Winnie the Pooh had only male friends.
Rubbish. What about Kanga? She was clearly a girl kangaroo...

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I wonder what Ms Sowinska's position is on Muffin the Mule?

Overheard in conversation - Ms Sowinska's Grandad, 1939...

"We must stamp out the scourge of homosexual literature eninating from the Brothers Grimm. Little Red Riding Hood is as camp as Christmas and... Hang about. Those tanks? Were they there yesterday? And why is Von Ribbentrop treating us to a fly-past?"

TheIronDuke said:
I wonder what Ms Sowinska's position is on Muffin the Mule?
Overheard in conversation - Ms Sowinska's Grandad, 1939...

"We must stamp out the scourge of homosexual literature eninating from the Brothers Grimm. Little Red Riding Hood is as camp as Christmas and... Hang about. Those tanks? Were they there yesterday? And why is Von Ribbentrop treating us to a fly-past?"
Coffee on keyboard again :D :D

'Dave played Tinky Winky, the tall purple member of the group of four unslim characters with built-in TV screens who inhabit a disturbingly brightly lit landscape'

Ewa Sowinska didn't get any of his Tubby Custard, she's clearly embittered

Muffin the mule should be investigated, definately.

Also big cook little cook anyone? They are the 'gay-est' couple on TV!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
looney said:
Cap't Pugwash...right up each other..
Urban myth, and the author sues.

That Barney the Purple (Sodding) Dinosaur on the other hand....

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Captain Puwash and Master Bates anyone? It doesn't get worse than that.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I wouldnt say Puff the Magic Dragon was gay, but I bet he helped out when they were short handed?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
There is a persistent urban legend, originating in the now-defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, which ascribes sexually suggestive names - such as Master Bates, Ben Dover, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy - to Captain Pugwash 's characters. John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact. [1] According to one version of the legend, the character was referred to as "Bates, the ship's master" to avoid making this too obvious. According to another version, "Pugwash" also had sexual connotations e.g. it could be a term for oral sex used in Australia, but no evidence to back this up has ever been found.

The wide acceptance of this falsehood probably owes something to the long standing associations in people's minds between sailors and ribaldry, as in the song, "'Twas on the Good Ship Venus". This legend may also have been subconsciously reinforced in some people's minds by the fact that there actually were fictional nautical characters with names a bit like these suggestive names. Swallows and Amazons, a very well-known British children's novel, really did have a male character called "Roger the ship's boy" and a female character called "Titty". In The Onedin Line, a very popular BBC television programme in the 1970s, the ship's mate was called "Mister Baines", which in some people's minds could become merged with "Master Mate" to create "Master Bates", and Charles Dickens regularly refers to The Artful Dodger's accomplice Charley Bates as "Master Bates" in the literary classic Oliver Twist.

In fact the name was believed to have been taken from a newspaper article about the Pugwash Conference on Science and World Affairs, an international organisation that brings together scholars and public figures to work towards reducing the danger of armed conflict, which had its first conference in Pugwash, Nova Scotia in 1955.

It has also been suggested that the pronunciation of "Master Mate" was slurred at times thanks to Pugwash's rather nasal voice, and some people could mishear it. Popular industry screenwriting website Scriptmania, presenting a feature on UK Children's television, have produced a soundbite which they claim is taken directly from an episode of the show, containing the words "I certainly did, Master Mate", which can be heard here: - Click this link.

There may even be a sly reference to the myth in the title of the DVD of the computer animated series Captain Pugwash - Sticky Moments And Other Swashbuckling Adventures.

Nevertheless, it should be stressed that the characters' names were Master Mate, Tom the cabin boy, and pirates Barnabas and Willy. (All cut and pasted from wiki)

As I said above, the author sues and wins. Can we get back to Barney the Purple Dinosaur now?

Will people never be happy… they always want to moan about every little detail…
They don’t like a kids shows that ‘may’ be promoting homosexuality but when a kids show promotes heterosexuality they moan about that too e.g. good old sooty and sweep… when sooty got sue up the duff, sorry when sue put a cousin up her dress, and pretended to show morning sickness and craving for weird food, they moaned…

Maybe people should leave these programs alone, or put together a list of good things to put into these shows… you could pick apart every child’s program.

Carrying a handbag doesn't make a bloke gay: transvestism and homosexuality aren't neccesarily coextensive. I'm pretty sure you have to like sex with your own gender to be gay, not just carry a handbag or wear black DMs :D

Thanks Mr Fingerz. Have just spent ten minutes reading and digesting your thorough, academic deconstruction of the Captain Pugwash series; ten minutes I will never get back and I am now mourning a little bit of life wasted.

I'm sure the cabin boy was called Master Wnak, BTW.