The Herford Lion thief and other BAOR stories- any corroboration welcome

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not quite a lion, but one of the lads on the Coventry in 82 had a pet tortoise in his boot drawer.

Unfortunately it did not survive the sinking.

There is also a very old dit about some booties on the old Ark Royal having a pet monkey that had been purchased in some shitty foreign land.

By all accounts it was quite the novelty and they even taught it to smoke tabs and open beer cans. It was all fun and games until it got bored and started flinging shit around the mess and biting people. It was sentenced to death for insubordination and by all accounts it suffered an unpleasant execution by being hanged off the anchor chain.

It might be true or not, but 4AAC when in Detmold were rumoured to have a Crocodile in the block.
I heard it was at 7 Sigs. It was also kicked to death in the bath, it was only small BTW.

Also my uncle who was Sigs from 50 to 72 told a tale of a Camel being found tied to the flag pole at 7.

A det from 22 Sigs ( RR Rebroadcast ) was visited by the German polizi as they had the bearing 180 degrees out and were transmitting over a civilian airport.

Not quite a lion, but one of the lads on the Coventry in 82 had a pet tortoise in his boot drawer.

Unfortunately it did not survive the sinking.

There is also a very old dit about some booties on the old Ark Royal having a pet monkey that had been purchased in some shitty foreign land.

By all accounts it was quite the novelty and they even taught it to smoke tabs and open beer cans. It was all fun and games until it got bored and started flinging shit around the mess and biting people. It was sentenced to death for insubordination and by all accounts it suffered an unpleasant execution by being hanged off the anchor chain.
...whilst they were docked in Hartlepool.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
A det from 22 Sigs ( RR Rebroadcast ) was visited by the German polizi as they had the bearing 180 degrees out and were transmitting over a civilian airport.
That sounds like the same dit as the Yeoman Warder told me in post #1

My section in Belize (when I was a full screw) had an Iguana. a decent sized iggy that was ferociously bad tempered. One of the lads used to walk it on a harness and lead, but you had to watch it otherwise the thing would lash you with its tail. It also used to drop foul smelling shit everywhere.

Anyway, en route to PG, IIRC, we took the thing onto the Puma and the loadie warned us that if it misbehaved it would have to be ditched. It obviously didn't like flying cos we had only been airborne ten minutes when it became a bit fractious. Twenty minutes into the flight it went bucking ferserk and the loadie gave the order to ditch the thing. Give the pilot his due, he hovered about 2 metres over the jungle canopy for a few seconds as we dropped the raging beast into its new home, where it f*cked off at a rate of knots into the green.

Latest Threads