The Herford Lion thief and other BAOR stories- any corroboration welcome

Yesterday I was talking to an old BAOR warrior still in service at HM Tower. The gallant yeoman warder told a couple fo really good tales

- The 4 ADSR signaler who stole a lion from the local safari park and kept it in his room in Hammersmith Barracks.

- The incident when 14 Sigs accidentally turned on an EW jammer, putting the Warsaw Pact on alert and closing Hannover Airport.

Any corroboration/contradiction welcome

Yesterday I was talking to an old BAOR warrior still in service at HM Tower. The gallant yeoman warder told a couple fo really good tales

- The 4 ADSR signaler who stole a lion from the local safari park and kept it in his room in Hammersmith Barracks.

- The incident when 14 Sigs accidentally turned on an EW jammer, putting the Warsaw Pact on alert and closing Hannover Airport.

He's a dumbfcuk if he did. Hammersmith was quite a trek from the Tierpark. Perhaps he took a taxi.

7 Sigs in Maresfield Bks on the other hand was directly adjacent... :)

Perhaps it was one of these lions....

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

You might have been better off posting in here:

Army Urban Myths...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I did steal a concrete penguin while at 4 Div, carried it back to the block, weighed a frigging ton I left it for the next occupant

Troy

LE
There was a tale which although I can't substantiate had the ring of truth to it.

Back in those days when Television was still broadcast on VHF and picked up with those old giant H and X aerials. A Radio Telegraphist Apprentice at Harrogate used a D11 to transmit voice over the BBC and changed the ending to Jackanory to something rude.

Smudge99

Crow
Yes, some tales were going about in the early 80's.
One of which about a knackered lion at Herford, bug eyed with hair falling out called Clarence. By all accounts the sprogs would get thrown at him, to see the reaction. Tale goes that it used to be harmless, till they put a Puma in with him, which changed things. Did visit Herford and ended up in Billies bar (I think) next to the gate, bout as far as we got.
Happy days

From what I can remember/heard it was a SCRA (C) that was cranked up to full power which resulted in the GCP threatening the Det Comd with a 9mm Gloch until he turned the Det off.
Rubbish dit.
The GCP don't have Glochs (sic):)

One of which about a knackered lion at Herford, bug eyed with hair falling out called Clarence. By all accounts the sprogs would get thrown at him, to see the reaction. Tale goes that it used to be harmless, till they put a Puma in with him, which changed things. Did visit Herford and ended up in Billies bar (I think) next to the gate, bout as far as we got.
Happy days
it was a vegetarian lion apparently

Happy days
Willies,

There was a tale which although I can't substantiate had the ring of truth to it.

Back in those days when Television was still broadcast on VHF and picked up with those old giant H and X aerials. A Radio Telegraphist Apprentice at Harrogate used a D11 to transmit voice over the BBC and changed the ending to Jackanory to something rude.
The D11 was an HF transmitter so probably not.

At 1kw RF output though, it could probably swamp nearby receivers without good adjacent or second channel rejection.

Last edited:
One very dark night, I was conducting a Counter Terrorist Security Survey of th perimeter of Maresfield Barracks in Herford with my WRAC Clerk, a not unattractive young lady who looked quite presentable in civvies avec really high heels!

Those who knew the barracks perimeter well, would know that it was allegedly covered by a line of fixed focal CCTV cameras, and that in places the chain link perimeter fence had been cut at the bottom, so that lazy squaddies could enter the barracks surrepticiously. Any way I digress. By the time we had completed most of the fence-line without being detected, and Liz, my lovely Clerk leaning heavily on me because her shoes had got stuck in the mud, we ended up walking through the Tierpark and onto the Car Park at the front.

It was here that I noticed some very violent and threatening movements. Thinking that the Lions, or even Puma had escaped, I shone my powerful Maglite directly at the object.

It was a small Fiat 850 with the two occupants engaged in a frenzied practice of testing the shock absorbers. When confronted by the beam of the Maglite they appeared quite shocked and frightened, but not as frightened as young Liz who feared we would be reported as peeping toms!......Foolish Girl.

On keeping wild animals in ones' room; the engineers at a mine in East Kalimantan had an orang utan which they trained to fetch beer from the fridge on demand, which was nice. A former FFL chap in my company found a sick adult Ruppells Vulture near the mine in Mauritania, and kept the filthy thing in his room for a couple of weeks, feeding it by hand. Scared the shit out of me.

A guy I knew was posted to Paderborn in the late 70`s and he had a local prostitute living in his barrack room.

Instrument Tech called Sanders-Fox.

He had a flippin lovely scar on his face an all after having a bottle smashed in his face at the Workshop end of NI tour pissup.

Great times!

Behind the 7sigs QMs' buildings in Maresfield barracks just over the fence there was an enclosure with a small troop of baboons, the front of the enclosure had a moat, and there were telegraph poles set in the ground for the baboons to climb on.

One hot sunny weekend day I was on south camp prowler with the storeman from the QM(A) and for some reason* he thought it would be funny to throw a big sharp bit of gravel at the red arse of the biggest dog baboon which was sunning itself on the highest pole. It hit the poor thing right on the cheek and it leapt into the air and turned around screeching and waving its arms about in anger, and getting noticeably more angry at my mates laughter.

Second lap as we walked past the same point my mate was skelped right in the face with a sharp stone, hard enough to draw blood, accompanied by the whole troop of baboons jumping up and down and laughing, with the big chap bouncing up and down on top of his telegraph pole.

*probably because he was a dick TBH.

Latest Threads