• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The Haka

If you get away from the bells and real ale it is apparently based on some form of home grown marital art or war dance that involves twating people with lumps of wood.
I remember an episode of Barrymore, one Saturday night, in which he had some Morris dancers as guests. They were bikers, and did the dance in their leathers and boots, with actions mimicking headbutting, tweaking the nose with a large spanner, and kneeing in the balls.

I remember an episode of Barrymore, one Saturday night, in which he had some Morris dancers as guests. They were bikers, and did the dance in their leathers and boots, with actions mimicking headbutting, tweaking the nose with a large spanner, and kneeing in the balls.

Ohh Barrymore, you funny old, rapey fister you.

What are your general views on the Haka?
I've got to be a bit careful here, as I'm a WMAS.
What are your general views on the Haka?
The school where I taught was about 35% Māori, and had a very good Kapa Haka group. I was always proud of our kids when the did the Haka. About 5 years ago, a (Pakeha) hipster teacher thought it would be a good idea to get all of the staff down to the basketball courts and do a "spontaneous viral" Haka.
I refused to join in, thought it was typical gen X pretentious crap.

Mainly our Kapa Haka group was in constant (paid by Koha [voluntary donation]) demand for all sorts of events around Wellington and the Hutt.
Definitely all over the top

Tends to get a bit ridiculous when stiff-collar boys schools are subscribing to it.

Done a few in High school for competitions, events and so on, mind you I went to one of those schools that has a lot of prefabs and mud, rather than bricks and ivy, so I suppose it's a bit less OTT.

The basic training visit to the Army Marae is quite an eye-opener to a white kid raised in a predominantly white neighborhood, with the only brown kids at school being wobbly-arsed and equally poor.
There is considerable dignity and self-possession involved in the traditional Maori way of doing things, and a certain pragmatism, especially to combat, hardship and war, and the haka is only a little part of it.

Basically take a bunch of big blokes in canoes, put them on a small island at the arse-end of the Pacific and leave them for 600 years to get better at kicking the shit out of each other and making intricate carvings. Makes sense that they'll have a well-developed attitude towards fighting and so on.

Hence the Army has embraced a certain amount of the culture, some practices and so on. Much like any other former Imperial colony adopted bits of the native way of doing things (Rhodesia springs to mind here), with the distinction that we never endured de-colonisation and effective race war during the 20th Century as many others did.

I have yet to see any of the following at any sporting event/wedding/funeral/Circumcision:

White South Africans doing a Zulu war dance
I have. Unfortunately. they look like a bunch of dicks.
The Lefties would shout 'cultural appropriation', which is what it is.

As an aside, one of SA's biggest musical exports (which ain't saying much) is Johnny Clegg.

It’s all a bit shit now. Should have remained for rugby and for boring the visiting royalty only.
Having seen the Haka live at test matches on a few occasions, one agrees.
Overcooked.
BUT to see the All Blacks in full voice... a bit hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck every time.
And sure beats hell out of some twunt with a guitar singing waltzing matailda, or some X-factor/pop idol runner-up belting out the anthems.

Overcooked.
BUT to see the All Blacks in full voice... a bit hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck every time.
And sure beats hell out of some twunt with a guitar singing waltzing matailda, or some X-factor/pop idol runner-up belting out the anthems.
'Oh, Flour Of Scotland'?

Overcooked.
My oppos funeral in Guz was emotional enough (top bloke IED'd out of existence) but when his rugby club spontaneously gathered at the wake and started belting out songs there wasn't a single, hard as woodpecker lips bootneck not choking on snot and tears.

I'm wondering if Haka's at funerals unleash a lot of "man energy" which is good for the grieving process. A nice aggressive, escape valve that non NZers don't have access to in "civilised arrangements"

Five minutes of Elgar then the curtains close probably doesn't really compare

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
White South Africans doing a Zulu war dance
Ahem....a guy called Jonny Clegg taking part in a Savuka for the video of ' Scatterlings of Africa' ( as per post ^ )

He then went on to duet with Nelson Mandela.

Interesting album :)

Just as not all Americans are gum chewing rednecks, not all Saffers back then were Boerewors munching racists....

Last edited:
Now I like New Zealand. The country is beautiful, the people are nice, their rugby team are excellent and their Sauvignon Blanc is excellent. But one thing about New Zealand really perplexes me and in some cases winds me up.

The Haka.

I can understand the tradition of doing it before rugby games and in genuine Maori settings. But it seems that this Maori war dance filters into every element of Kiwi life now. Recently on social media I saw that somewhere in France the NZDF Maori Cultural Group were doing a Haka for some WW1 anniversary. They do it at weddings. Funerals. Graduations. ANZAC day. You name an occasion and someone is doing a Haka for it.

Is it a bit cringy seeing a group of often predominantly white Europeans (after all the Maoris barely account for 15% of the population) doing an ethnic war dance?
The Haka is just irritating. Opposition teams should start yawning or walk away while it's going on. Or else everyone else should start doing something similar. Maybe Ireland could do a bit of Riverdance before matches.

The Haka is just irritating. Opposition teams should start yawning or walk away while it's going on. Or else everyone else should start doing something similar. Maybe Ireland could do a bit of Riverdance before matches.
Actually, Ireland were the first to face it down - linking arms and advancing at slow-slow.
Got censured for it by the IRB.

Better than Michael Flatley

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Effendi The NAAFI Bar 13
Tyk The NAAFI Bar 26
C Sappers 17