The Haka

White New Zealanders, most having their roots firmly in Europe... Not surprising, where else do white people originate from???

NZ history is based off that of the European and Maori and by default that of the NZDF and Army. The traditions practiced are a combination of the two. The Haka historically is a challenge issued to a visitor prior to either being welcomed in if friendly or engaged if not. It was also used to intimidate enemy and/or to rally the warriors prior to or during battle and to honor fallen. Sporting teams use it in a similar way and also as a way to thank supporters.

Within the NZDF each Bn or unit has there own and its more about Unit identity, pride and history than where your great grandfather came from. That being said it can get over done within the military being made a "Rent a Hori" or part of "Haka Bludge" having to do haka's for every random visitor of some apparent seniority.

Why are your yet to see the following?
White South Africans doing a Zulu war dance
White Americans doing Native American dances
White Americans taking part in Soul Train

The Africans in general are to busy pretending to forget they were recently shooting each other whilst collectively flushing their country down the loo
The Americans are to busy worried about Tweets, Trump and how great they are, than the race they almost wiped out or how to develop rhythm.
FFS, its the NAAFI...I thought my tongue in cheek response would have been given away by the Soul Train comment...

As for the NZDF, had a lot to do with them when I lived in Brunei...they came across for the Rugby 7;s tournament every year....and did....the Haka...... . The All Blacks used to send a team too, so I can honestly say I have played rugby against the All Blacks....and was "Haka'd" before the game.

And what have I learnt from all this...the English Teams did not to a Morris dance, the Scots team did not do a fling, the Gurkhas did not do a Kukri dance and the Royal New Zealand Infantry regiment is made up of very very big Maoris, who are recruited to play rugby :)

FFS, its the NAAFI...I thought my tongue in cheek response would have been given away by the Soul Train comment...

As for the NZDF, had a lot to do with them when I lived in Brunei...they came across for the Rugby 7;s tournament every year....and did....the Haka...... . The All Blacks used to send a team too, so I can honestly say I have played rugby against the All Blacks....and was "Haka'd" before the game.

And what have I learnt from all this...the English Teams did not to a Morris dance, the Scots team did not do a fling, the Gurkhas did not do a Kukri dance and the Royal New Zealand Infantry regiment is made up of very very big Maoris, who are recruited to play rugby :)
The SCOTS team could do the Fijian equivalent of the Haka....

A touch of thread drift....

Probably going over old ground here but working (and playing) with the NZ Ranger Squadron (SAS) in Borneo back in the 60's was always a pleasure.
Do any of the older Kiwi's on here know what happened to Teaspoon and Snooks? Two ace guys amongst a team of ace guys. Good back-up in a fracas too!
We had one living at Panaga by the nick name "Cookie Monster". He was a 6 foot Maori (between the eyes) who got the nickname because he could fit a whole packet of digestives in his mouth at once (unwrapped of course). Ex SAS and working as an instructor with the Royal Brunei Malay Regiment at the Jungle training School in Labi.

It’s not just the Kiwis who do a Haka. Quite a few other Pacific island nations do similar ceremonies, either as a prelude to war or greeting of peace.

I was married to a kiwi from Dunedin, and I used to make her do a haka in the bedroom as a prelude to sex. Now I get horny whenever I see one.

Last edited:
Haka.
Looks like Formation Pigeon-shouting...

I always thought that England should wind up the All Blacks by doing a bit of Morris Dancing on the pitch before the match. Show them some real culture.
If you get away from the bells and real ale it is apparently based on some form of home grown marital art or war dance that involves twating people with lumps of wood.

... When they do it at international sporting events I love seeing the facial expressions of the opponents who've never seen it before.
You mean there are actually still people left in the world that have never ever seen a Haka? They really do need to get out a little more.

A touch of thread drift....

Probably going over old ground here but working (and playing) with the NZ Ranger Squadron (SAS) in Borneo back in the 60's was always a pleasure.
Do any of the older Kiwi's on here know what happened to Teaspoon and Snooks? Two ace guys amongst a team of ace guys. Good back-up in a fracas too!
PM me their names and I could probably tell you.