The Guild of Battlefield Guides

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The GBG was formed in 2003. Graeme Cooper, ex Green Howards and now the GBG Secretary, was promoting the idea during the Battlefields Trust's ( www.battlefieldstrust.com ) annual conference at Arnhem in 2002. Richard Holmes is Patron of both organisations.

The GBG is backed by the tour companies and the Guides who run the Royal British Legion's Remembrance Travel/Poppy Travel. If you have the urge to become a Battlefield Guide, the GBG is the place to find out whats involved and the standards required.

The RBL are looking for ex military guides for military and civilian tours. If you have some expertise then you might find the RBL's military tours very rewarding. The RBL take Army Recruits on the "Realities of War" tour where they look at the Army's Core Values in the context of soldiers' experiences in the World Wars.

Send me a PM if you are interested in finding out more.

2. Thanks for that Pterandon.

I've been Battlefield guided by one of the names on the list, when he was our CO. Incredible knowledge , and he really made it come alive. His knowledge of local wine was excellent too :)

One of our ex- CSgts from his time (Doc. H) would be interested in this I'm sure, his speciality is Ypres 1/2 and he really knows his subject. I'll pass the link along.