The Guardian - Soldiers and Airman unemployed by 2020

Yep and we'll all working from home, living on the moon, riding hover cars, eating meals in pill form.....

Tomorrow's World lied to me.

I find it amusing how on the one hand they're suggesting we'll need exo-skeleton technicians that "design wearable robots that assist and protect soldiers [snip]," while simultaneously suggesting soldiers are going out of fashion...

Get off that fence, it jags your arse...

CardinalSin said:
Yep and we'll all working from home, living on the moon, riding hover cars, eating meals in pill form.....

Don't forget jet boots. We were promised jet boots!

But some jobs never go out of style …

Lawyers While much of the knowledge side of the law can be automated, there will always be a need for lawyers with persuasive people skills to sway judges and juries, particularly in the growing areas of patent and intellectual property law.

Politician OK, so some of them fiddle their expenses, but we'll never rid ourselves of the need to be governed and led.
Great :roll:

Smash

We all know this is bollox! But don't forget there are people out there that think the matrix is real, they have seen Bruce Willis run through broken glass and still be able to fight with shredded feet. These people think you can make bomb proof vehicles, they think you can solve crime like they do in CSI. these people think you can fight a nice clean war.These people are idiots and they are in power, so you never know

gingerslime said:
At least we will still get our Diamond Jubilee Medal in June 2012, As long as the worl ending is anytime from July onwards.
Unless the Army gets shafted again like last time :roll:

Utter sh1te.

Who flys the UAVs (they ain't robots are they?) so the pilots just end up sitting in a hanger.

And 'Urainium recycler' converting warheads to nuclear fuel? We already have them by another name (probably).

www.world-nuclear.org/...inf13.html

'Farmer Agricultural entrepreneur as skilled in genetics as in marketing.' So Farmers don't know anything about genetics now? THey just let the sheep/cows etc sh4g willy nilly and don't remove the weaker animals from the gene pool.

Disco said:
Network enabled warfare, its the future!
Ah network disabled capability, ye cannae whack it!

Haven't they been saying that UAVs would replace manned a/c since the 1950s? And been talking of some robotic or semi-robotic soldier probably since the day that Starship Troopers was published.

Robots would hardly be good at COIN or hearts and minds, I think our jobs are safe for a while yet - basically, as long as there is conflict in the world, which knowing human nature, will be forever.

exbleep said:
CardinalSin said:

Don't forget jet boots. We were promised jet boots!

And the 16 hour working week!

I can remember an episode in the late 60's when they sagely predicted the biggest problem facing the population in the year 2000 would be what to do with all our liesure time. 8O

At first glance I thought this thread was the Bi-monthly "Raf to be disbanded thread" I was a little disapointed, truth be told!

gingerslime said:
At least we will still get our Diamond Jubilee Medal in June 2012, As long as the worl ending is anytime from July onwards.
Surely you mean you'll have qualified for it but won't actually get issued it (unless the world ends in 2015!! :roll: ) (Or on the inevitable parade to mark it!!)

TheNutlessMonkey said:
gingerslime said:
Surely you mean you'll have qualified for it but won't actually get issued it (unless the world ends in 2015!! :roll: ) (Or on the inevitable parade to mark it!!)
We can make a 'whinging sprog' squad for all those who wont be getting the medal but aren't bitter about it :D