The Ground Warriors of Airpower(US)

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Red Shrek, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Air Force’s seven groups of “battlefield airmen” will get tougher training and more members.

The Ground Warriors of Airpower

By Adam J. Hebert, Senior Editor

Operation Anaconda, the March 2002 battle against Taliban and al Qaeda fighters in the mountains of Afghanistan, profoundly changed the Air Force’s relationship with the Army. The battle revealed a deep operational rift between senior air and land force planners, a rift that both services have subsequently worked hard to repair. Anaconda also served to highlight the importance of airmen who work in far forward areas, where little support is available.

In fact, some officials point to the March 4, 2002, struggle for a place called Takur Gar as the moment in which these so-called “battlefield airmen” gained permanent prominence, though that specific term did not then exist.

Today, the Air Force is taking a number of steps aimed at making its group of battlefield airmen a more effective force. A new, centralized training program is in the works; the community is growing; and the service is working closely with the Army to maximize capabilities.

Seven USAF specialties are now officially part of the battlefield airman community. These are: combat controllers, special tactics officers, tactical air control party personnel, pararescue jumpers (PJs), combat rescue officers, conventional battlefield weathermen, and special operations forces weathermen.

Rest Of Article

2. Jeeez, I thought you were on about the crabs then!

3. Given President B Liar's desire for following all things spam, I should think there will be openings shortly for

The Met Office must be delighted.

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

So are these weathermen who are SF trained or do you need a special qualification to tell a SF if it's going to rain?

5. Info on US Airforce Combat Weathermen:
    Weathermen

6. Given that the RAF is still run by lots of FJ chappies and already downsizing, I can't see a rush to emulate all these AFSOC capabilities (especially if the 5* hotel is late delivering room service and if there's a chance of mild precipitation - mind you, that's why they need the weathermen). Also, it sounds like DSF, Pathfinder Platoon, Brigade Recce Force etc. are already competing for a small pool of service personnel with the 'right' capabilities whilst the courses at JFACTSU can't cope with existing demand from green forces. Not holding my breath...

On a related subject, I remember a snippet from Mike Durant's 'In the Company of Heroes'. Apparently, 160 SOAR has an Assault Platoon, trained to parachute into hot LZ's alongside big pallets loaded with rockets, bullets, fuel etc. Now that seems like taking the whole FARP thing to extremes to me but maybe the thrusters at Dishforth have this covered. 'Carpe Diem', 'Next Big Thing' and all that..... what is that USMC acronym ? SOC - Special Operations Capable. Mmm...

:D

Maybe the TA could do something like that instead.

:roll:

7. Tactical Supply Wing already have a small cadre of Para trained personnel for the purpose of inserting para-launched RTR sites.

Two APFC's full of AVTUR, a pump. filter and hoses all strapped to an MSP. The theory is pretty sound but it hasn't been practised too often. As with many training objectives these days, money is an issue.

Obviously I'm not comparing them to SOAR troops but they're a keen bunch and do the best with their limited resources.

8. Wow, I'm impressed.

One day I suggest giving the TA some Gucci tasks to do to support AH and one day later they go and invent 6 Regt AAC (V)....