Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Green Machine...do the warts ever come off?

The 'bomb's' unsuitability for tropical climates was one of the reasons for the introduction of the jungle bag - which is also okay for warm temperate European climates. I've toyed with upgrading from my trusty '58, but can't really justify it as (a former crab) I prefer hotels these days... or rather did, as I can't see me staying in one anytime approaching soon.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The current crop, as well as former, don’t really like being called Squaddies.
Oooh get her !
Being all trendy and "offended."

Then she goes on about Italian bags...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As for the sleeping system, the 90 pattern is still largely in circulation but it has been replaced on a gradual phase out with an Italian made sleeping system.
The new system is still comprising a cotton tie in liner (like the old, will tie you up like a horny hungry anaconda, in your sleep), main sleeping bag, goretex outer.
The new Italian bag is very good but I prefer the 90 pattern because it’s wider at the foot and hood end, purely because I roll around a lot in my sleep. There’s not much room to fidget about in the new one, which is a nause when you’re trying to find the all important love sock.
New one is ideal if you’re just kipping in your kecks and a T-shirt camping style, the 90 pattern is best if you’re kipping full dressed combat camping style.

Can we add 'maintenance free' and '100% waterproof' to that list?
And 'Lightweight'!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Picked up two, "I'm offended" bites from PapaGolf.

Cheers easy !

This got serious pretty quickly..

On another note, this what we used to chant at the blokes stagging on when I was a kid, so it must have been a pejorative term at some point.

Squaddie, squaddie over there
look at him he's got no hair
All he does is march about
and... er...

I can't remember the rest of it

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh you? I nodded off then went to Wickes. It is called Sleeping System because It is what it is called

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
58 pattern. First experience was Dartmoor, POC troop.

6ft 3 recently arrived from Africa. Issued a smelly lumpy paper thin green plasticy thing designed for a bloody dwarf.

How happy was I lieing there under the stars, sort of, rain obscured my vision, in a nasty bag that came up to my arm pits with a stuck zip and little velcro bits that had long since curled up and died. To top it off charged a 5iver when I handed it back in as apparently it was stained/torn.

The new sleep system :oops: was a major step ahead. Even better when a wider mouthed bivvy was provided. The first ones meant having to pull the bag nearly out of the goretex to get in or out. Smashing for morale in the wet welsh wilds. Of course it meant that you couldnt actually pack much else and tieing it to the top of ones large pack was a little cumbersome.

And what was tolerably cozy in Germany was like a sauna in Angola and bloody freezing in Norway. Happy days eh.

6ft 3 recently arrived from Africa. Issued a smelly lumpy paper thin green plasticy thing designed for a bloody dwarf.

How happy was I lieing there under the stars, sort of, rain obscured my vision, in a nasty bag that came up to my arm pits with a stuck zip and little velcro bits that had long since curled up and died. To top it off charged a 5iver when I handed it back in as apparently it was stained/torn.

The new sleep system :oops: was a major step ahead. Even better when a wider mouthed bivvy was provided. The first ones meant having to pull the bag nearly out of the goretex to get in or out. Smashing for morale in the wet welsh wilds. Of course it meant that you couldnt actually pack much else and tieing it to the top of ones large pack was a little cumbersome.

And what was tolerably cozy in Germany was like a sauna in Angola and bloody freezing in Norway. Happy days eh.

What rip in the space-time continuum had you tying a 90’s sleep system to the top of a 58 pattern large pack. In Angola?

It took me till the early 00’s to get a doss bag that I could fit in, and as a bonus it had a full length zip. Still got it

like a sauna in Angola and bloody freezing in Norway.
[cod yorkie] Eeeh, looxoory[/cod yorkie]

My Norwegian LO (1989) remembered the first Brit troops who came to Norway with the AMF(L). A Jock mob.

Ammo boots and snowshoes. Sleeping system comprised 2 x army blankets carried on the man.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
What rip in the space-time continuum had you tying a 90’s sleep system to the top of a 58 pattern large pack. In Angola?
We were issued the 1990 sleeping system on Op Granby but still had 58 pattern webbing. Theoretically we would have had to try to strap it to the large pack if we didn’t have Crusader bergans I guess. Didn’t get PLCE until 1995

Zulu_w

Old-Salt

None at all, but when I was covering a period of time that happened to be sleeping bag related. At Sandhurst early 90's issued with new sleeping system still using large pack.

Later on still had slightly new sleeping system but the means to carry same had been upgraded. LR90 by then being logistics.

In the same way that I wasn't in Wales, Norway and Anglola all at the same time but did utilise the sleeping bag in each of these locations.

Hopefully that is somewhat clearer for the avid reader of sleeping bag related trivia. :)

Latest Threads