The Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Now I've watched some pretty awesome shows in my time, as I'm sure most have. And despite the so-called "modernisation" of some shows these days to pander to *the message* and shoehorn diversity and inclusion into everything, often at the expense of authenticity and good old fashioned storytelling, there are still some crackers out there.

I was thoroughly impressed with The Witcher - and Season Two is out today (although I'm saving that until the OH is off-crew). For me though, it's a diamond in the rough and whilst thoroughly engaging and inviting the binge - I would still only pitch it at an overall 7.5 out of 10.

My attention is immediately drawn to the highly relatable Band of Brothers. Beautifully shot and directed, this for me comes in at an impressive, near-perfect 9.5, dropping only half a point simply due to its inaccurate and somewhat cruel portrayals of Capt Herbert Sobel and Lt Norman Dike.

Better Call Saul for me was a superior sequel to Breaking Bad (S'all good, man!) taking the Bronze.

My Gold Medal and the only series to date I've ever watched which scores a perfect 10 has to be...

<drum roll>

Cobra Kai.

Series 4 is about to kick off NYE on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, you really need to (and you can thank me later).

Take a mediocre 80s film such as Tom Hanks' Big. Something modest, not designed to be a budget-busting Hollywood box office record breaker, but everybody sees at some point in their life and loves it nonetheless.

A similar thing happened with The Karate Kid.

Fast forward 35 years and in today's day and age they decide to make a series out of it. You could imagine it being thoroughly ruined right? The lead character would be played by a Mary Sue, probably different gender and ethnicity. And would instantly be the best at everything and never in danger of anything at all. Ratings would plummet and the producers would blame the fans and put it down to middle aged white men being out of touch or something.

Not Cobra Kai.

Imagine somehow you get the same original actors, 35 years on to pick up where they left off, encapsulating their original rivalry and bringing it with them into today's generation - even somehow managing to switch the audiences allegiances from poor Daniel-san to the "bully" Johnny... Hell even the Cobra Kai senseis John Kreese and Terry Silver are back to reek havoc at the All Valleys. Picture a scene which involves 20-odd kids using the inside of a cement mixer as a makeshift treadmill and fight scenes which erupt into full-scale carnage not stopping for one brief moment...

I could rave about this all day long but we all have different tastes and besides, what some may consider the best of all time, others may find mediocre at best.

What's your greatest shows of all time?

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer
s-l300.jpg

Monkey Magic

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I agree with The Witcher - and I've got to hold off watching it until Mrs Phantom is ready to binge watch it with me

Clarksons Farm, if you ignore the parts clearly done for stereotypical Clarkson stuff (stupidly large tractor, sending the local lad to London to sell Wasabi, going ahead with stuff against advice from experts), it's really rather good. I hope a second series is out soon

Classic 80's TV - you can't go wrong with the A Team (despite having the shooting skills of the RAF Regiment) and Knight Rider.

Stupid Sitcoms - Are you being served and It aint half hot mum.

Sci Fi - Dr Who before it went shite (for me) and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

have you seen the remake? It's as badly made as the original but somehow, shit

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree with The Witcher - and I've got to hold off watching it until Mrs Phantom is ready to binge watch it with me

Clarksons Farm, if you ignore the parts clearly done for stereotypical Clarkson stuff (stupidly large tractor, sending the local lad to London to sell Wasabi, going ahead with stuff against advice from experts), it's really rather good. I hope a second series is out soon

Classic 80's TV - you can't go wrong with the A Team (despite having the shooting skills of the RAF Regiment) and Knight Rider.

Stupid Sitcoms - Are you being served and It aint half hot mum.

Sci Fi - Dr Who before it went shite (for me) and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

have you seen the remake? It's as badly made as the original but somehow, shit
There's a remake?

First one was amazing, but had to be watched very drunk for it to make sense.... by morning you'd forgotten

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rather mimsy, but: The Repair Shop.
Just people doing clever/skilful stuff.
No bells (sometimes) no whistles|(sometimes).
Who doesn't want a treasured toy back? or a rocking chair, rocking horse etc?

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer

you may be disappointed
They say you should never revisit places that hold warm memories for fear of being disappointed. I shall pass on the remake...

no f in beer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I would tip another vote for Band of Brothers.

Not sure i have invested as much time and energy into TV before or since

For comedy - Only fools and horses

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have watched so many episodes of The Avengers lately.

ArchieCat

Old-Salt
House of Cards/To Play the King/The Final Cut
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister
The World at War
Band of Brothers
The Great War

All shows I will rewatch time after time and find something new.

Obvious choices? You might very well think that. I couldn’t possibly comment.

I'd have to go for Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, but with special mention to The Champions. The latter was both ultra naff and ultra wonderful at the same time, and goodness me there was the lovely Alexandra Bastedo to engage a young chap's interest:

1639783864483.png

Band of Brothers

The Wire

House of Cards (Original British Version)

World at War

The Office

There's lots of other stuff that's been good to watch but it tends to go up it's own arse after a while - things Like Dexter, superb in the early series but fizzle out. Game of Thrones was superb to start with but you could tell when they started to wander off the source material or they couldn't wait for ol' George to pull his finger out and the imagination just dried up - still looked great but it was action by numbers. The Witcher is pretty good. Never got The Sopranos or Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. Things like The Professionals are a far better memory than to watch again now.

Latest Threads