The Greatest Teacher You Ever Had

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Ciggie, Apr 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had several, thank goodness. Mrs Beck made me read intelligently, Willie Williams OBE taught me that English is the most beautiful language in the world, Mrs Way taught me alot about music, my dad taught me how to ping the eye out of a rabbit.....
  2. The greatest teacher I ever had was the tasty, tiny little, 22 year old redhead art teacher, Miss Horsely.......well, in my dreams I did!...:thumright:
  3. By "had" do you mean those that have taught at school you or sporty teacher type bints that you have defiled in recent years?
  4. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

My old man.
    To quote Ciggie "... my dad taught me how to ping the eye out of a rabbit." and to gut and eat what I caught at the age of six. He also taught never to be intimidated by anyone who thought themselves superior, “Just remember ND, they also sat on the toilet this morning with their pants round their ankles.” and to listen and be fair and give everyone a hearing despite your own stand on a matter… and then deck ‘em.

My Housemaster, GL.
    Strict wasn’t the word, but what we learnt about admin would serve us well - he was Merchant Navy during WWII. An absolute cnut at times, but fair and now the only teacher that TSO and I visit for dinner at the Castle Campbell once a year.

Miss Norton et al…
    She taught me what hormones were…

The Masseys.
    They taught me the wonders of music outside of the charts… except , of course Jazz!

The Geography teachers
    All that map reading with Silvas would help in later years.
    Etc. etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That Heydrich bloke knew a trick or two. I'm sure there are blokes in the SD that loved his death by viewfoil presentations.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. My Mum - taught me to cook
    Mrs Gass - taught me to type and to music, fecking hilarious
    Beryl Richardson - the Welsh English teacher, who wore short skirts and liked rugby
  7. The Patent Heydrich Bombproof jacket didn't sell well though.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A Talbot Samba. Taught me to not drop big spanners into the engine bay while the car is in gear and the battery is connected. Shorted the starter motor and the car pinned me to the back wall of the garage.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. There was a rather dumpy and plain lady called Mrs Whitelaw who taught me in Primary School. For some reason, she took it into her head that it would be worth both our while for her to keep me in at playtime to correct my frankly appalling handwriting caused by poor hand-eye coordination.

But for her kindly intervention, I could have hada long and successful career in the art world. I never got the chance to thank her.
  10. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Nobby for imbuing a deep love of political achievement

Mr Plumstead for showing the simplicity of maths

PJ for unpacking economics for my dull noggin
  11. [​IMG]
    It wasn't sexual... honest.
  12. Pictures or you're lying!

Mr Boobyer (Ex Capt. Welsh Guards) for giving me an interest in history

Mr Henshaw in Science for always getting us to want to know how things work

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Crapatalk and a head dobber
  13. In my case, she worked at the Army school in Paderborn, and came from Fermanagh.

The ones who were s'posed to make the most of my potential at school were (with the exception, I belatedly realised, as I read his recent obituary, of the language master who taught me French, German and how to pun fluently) something of a disappointment.
  14. My maths teacher in 5th form (1959). He'd been a Desert Rat and most periods we could get him talking about his time in Libya ... and come out having learnt exactly what he wanted us to learn. I wish I could remember his name.
  15. Mr Mathers for teaching me all about standards and behaviour, as well as maths.
    Mr Jones, a stand in history teacher very much like Adam Heart-Davis. He taught me that history was interesting and learning for the sake of it could be fun.
    My best mates mum, for teaching me about women.