The greatest irish boxer in history is.....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by kyleq101, Aug 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No. One punch Mickie from Snatch.

2. Probably the undertaker in Londonderry after Bloody Sunday.

3. John Wayne

4. AKA Sean Thornton ("Trooper Thorne")

5. The Quiet Man

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Any Paddy who tried to stay after the NAAFI Bar was shut when you are Canteen Cowboy (at least they thought they were).

p.s. (Always made sure there were a couple of the guard handy with their little pick helves to back me up - I'm not that stupid!)

7. What's the problem? Don't you realise that each and every American has Irish ancestors? Not too long ago, I met a couple and it turned out that the husband's family came from County Swansea in Dear Ould Oirland.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Ali's family were once owned by an Irish American...

8. Sometimes I think the Irish Government must have an NHS sized bureaucracy whose sole purpose in life is to find and Irish ancestor in everyones past.

Reminds me of Spike Milligans tale about his Irish citizenship. When he applied for a British passport when India was being granted its independence he was told they couldn't give him one but that he should try the Irish consulate "they're crying out for people" and so it was, he thus became an Irish citizen and made his way back to Europe.

9. I remember it seemed to have rankled a bit throughout Spike's life. He's rumoured to have confronted Charles at a Royal Variety performance with, "What did your mother think I was doing in North Africa and Italy all those years?" Must have been a kick in the tits for a London lad raised in a British Army family.

10. Worthy of graffiti alongside Para 13 Bogsiders 0

11. With his Irish father and born in India. :roll:

And by his own admission his irish father had the greatest impact on him

'My father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.'

Anyway, anybody who was there will always say Wee Barry!