The Great Raid, WWII Philippines Movie on iPlayer at the moment

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Good CO, Mar 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

A WWII film I'd never heard of just appeared on iPlayer - The Great Raid. A search of ARRSE shows it mentioned in both the Best War Film Ever and Worst War Film Ever threads.

Just thought someone might like the heads up!

Available until 1 Apr

War drama set in the Philippines in 1945, based on the true story of the Sixth Ranger Battalion who, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci, undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the Sixth Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue bid.

Perhaps someone can let me know if it's worth a couple of hours of my life, or whether I should fix the Last 50 instead.
  2. Give it a go. It's got a good cast and manages to tell a true story without too much flag waving. The sub-plot drags it down a bit but if you ignore that you'll see a decent movie about the most successful rescue mission in US military history.
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Looks like it fared better than Patton's attempt in Europe.

Task Force Baum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not his finest hour...

4. Saw it years ago and I thought it was not too bad, if there is nothing else worth watching then give it a go