The Great Raid, WWII Philippines Movie on iPlayer at the moment

A WWII film I'd never heard of just appeared on iPlayer - The Great Raid. A search of ARRSE shows it mentioned in both the Best War Film Ever and Worst War Film Ever threads.

Just thought someone might like the heads up!

Available until 1 Apr

War drama set in the Philippines in 1945, based on the true story of the Sixth Ranger Battalion who, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci, undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the Sixth Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue bid.

Perhaps someone can let me know if it's worth a couple of hours of my life, or whether I should fix the Last 50 instead.

Give it a go. It's got a good cast and manages to tell a true story without too much flag waving. The sub-plot drags it down a bit but if you ignore that you'll see a decent movie about the most successful rescue mission in US military history.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like it fared better than Patton's attempt in Europe.

Task Force Baum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Task Force Baum was a secret and controversial World War II task force set up by U.S. Army general George S. Patton and commanded by Capt. Abraham Baum in late March 1945. Baum was given the task of penetrating 50 miles (80 km) behind German lines and liberating the POWs in camp OFLAG XIII-B, near Hammelburg. Controversy surrounds the true reasons behind the mission, which may have been simply to liberate Patton's son-in-law, John K. Waters, taken captive in Tunisia in 1943. The result of the mission was a complete failure; of the roughly 300 men of the task force, 32 were killed in action during the raid and only 35 made it back to Allied-controlled territory, with the remainder being taken prisoner. All of the 57 tanks, jeeps, and other vehicles were lost.
Not his finest hour...

Wordsmith