The Great North Run 2012

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by FatBoyGeorge, Sep 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening Arrse,

I'm not into begging, so I'll keep this as brief as possible.

As I'm sure you learned lot already know, it is the GNR this Sunday and I'm running it on behalf of North England Children's Cancer Research. A bit of a mouthful I know, so we'll just call it NECCR. The NECCR's main goals are to fund research into the causes and treatments of child cancers, a worthy cause in any ones books I'm sure you'll agree. It was set up and is run by a small group of parents whose children have suffered from cancer, some of those children survived and sadly some did not. I have decided to try and help them out a bit.

This is my first half marathon, and those of you who know me will be fully aware that I am no distance runner so the training has been a long slog to say the least. Despite being interrupted by work, I am now set to complete the 13.1 miles in 1:35:00. My original target for donations was a modest £250, which was quickly smashed so I put it up to £350. That didn't last long either. So far I have raised £471 and am hoping to nudge that up a little as my very generous employer has agreed to match what I raise with a cap of £1000.

If you would like to help children suffering from cancer please consider giving up the cost of a single pint this weekend. I know that's a lot to ask from military folk, but you're money will do some good. Besides, I haven't had a beer in ages so why should you? You can donate £3 by sending the text on the line below to 70070.

NECR75 £3

You can following my fund raising here: North of England Children's Cancer Research fund

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and if you chose to donate hopefully something magic will happen with your money.

FBG