The great non-getaway of 22. How bad is it?

I know it's been a couple of years since these travel/holiday companies have had to deal with this, but they can't have forgotten how it works. Summer comes, people go to the Med to large it. Simples. I know that these companies have had a poor couple of years, but coming out with statements like 'unprecedented demand' and 'staff shortages' are not washing with me.

Loads of negative press about individual cases of woe, but how bad is it? I know we're never going to hear about those that did get away and back without any issues, but I've booked up for two trips to the Med this summer and want to know what my chances are.

Hammer223

Swinger
I know it's been a couple of years since these travel/holiday companies have had to deal with this, but they can't have forgotten how it works. Summer comes, people go to the Med to large it. Simples. I know that these companies have had a poor couple of years, but coming out with statements like 'unprecedented demand' and 'staff shortages' are not washing with me.

Loads of negative press about individual cases of woe, but how bad is it? I know we're never going to hear about those that did get away and back without any issues, but I've booked up for two trips to the Med this summer and want to know what my chances are.
Depends where you fly from last week took all of 20 mins to check in and get through security at Newcastle airport .

Baggage Handlers working from home?
working their second job as shoplifters.

I think people have found out what a crap job working at the airport is, even something like check-in. I read something about a security guy having to get up at 3:30am & earning less than a shelf stacker.

As for border force, we all know how long security clearances can take. Then they have to contend with the management! A mate of mine ( just retired as a copper) did the training for 'urgently required surge staff', got the uniform, security clearance, safety training..then they fcked him about with shifts, so he jacked it after a month.

I think we'll see queues for another 6 months, might have got it sorted by Xmas.
On a brighter note! There have always been fck-ups, cancellations and queues. Prepare a bit more for waits & disappointments & you'll get a holiday in the end, which is the main thing.

People may well leave home very (sort of) OK, but by the time ( if and when) they get to their destinations they'll need profiling, meds, and rehab for two weeks!
It used to be the travelling was, or could be to some, part of the enjoyable adventure.
Now not so much.
Another problem is Staycation providers are really at it.
I cannot get booked on Skye, and the prices are eye watering even if I could.
We are just planning bucket list day trips this year. Maybe a1 night B&B.
Plenty of Scotland I've never been to yet.

Last edited:
The main problem appears to be getting airside before they close your gate.
It's alright getting there early, but if it takes you 3 hours to clear security, you may find yourself in trouble.
My advice would be don't travel at peak times of the day. Make sure you have food and water (bearing in mind what you can and can't take through with you). Also make sure you have a couple of power packs for yours and the kids devices and phones.
Another thing to remember is keep all of your receipts for parking etc. They will prove what time you arrived at the airport if you have to make a claim.
If you do manage to make it to your destination but have the return flight cancelled, remember your carrier is duty bound by law to get you home even if they have to use another airline.

working their second job as shoplifters.

I think people have found out what a crap job working at the airport is, even something like check-in. I read something about a security guy having to get up at 3:30am & earning less than a shelf stacker.

As for border force, we all know how long security clearances can take. Then they have to contend with the management! A mate of mine ( just retired as a copper) did the training for 'urgently required surge staff', got the uniform, security clearance, safety training..then they fcked him about with shifts, so he jacked it after a month.

I think we'll see queues for another 6 months, might have got it sorted by Xmas.
On a brighter note! There have always been fck-ups, cancellations and queues. Prepare a bit more for waits & disappointments & you'll get a holiday in the end, which is the main thing.
Manchester airport binned staff during covid, now finding it hard to recruit, 3.30 starts, late night finish, work all summer to be laid off all winter all for 22,000 no thanks

I'm told Birmingham airport is an absolute nightmare at the moment. Seems to have taken everyone by surprise.

Konstabel_Els

Old-Salt

I lasted three seasons but the BF management is an example of arrogant, top heavy managers.

NSP

LE
It's alright getting there early, but if it takes you 3 hours to clear security, you may find yourself in trouble.
Not helped by the check-in staff not letting you check-in so much as a minute before two hours before your flgiht's departure time. It's alright if you've checked-in online and have your boarding pass and a carry-on only but if even if you check in at home and have hold baggage (what family can holiday for a fortnight with just what they can get into a carry-on?) you're beholden to the check-in nazis.

Caveat: yes, I know long haul flights open earlier but then they are processing a flight comprising a much larger aircraft with many more seats.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I got away in Feb with no problems, but going away in July might have some.
As has been said earlier, the airports and airlines haven't really staffed up since Covid struck and a lot of staff went on furlough and the decided that it wasn't worth the time or money to go back so quit and got proper, decent paid jobs.

I'm told Birmingham airport is an absolute nightmare at the moment. Seems to have taken everyone by surprise.
I would have thought the numbers booking these flights/holidays might have given them a clue.

Pagan-Image

War Hero
If you do manage to make it to your destination but have the return flight cancelled, remember your carrier is duty bound by law to get you home even if they have to use another airline.
My other half is Travel Agent, and she is getting really upset by this comment being used all the time on TV as it is wrong.

This ONLY applies if you have booked a package holiday with chartered flights and ATOL certification. If you have booked your flights independently through the airline, there is no legal requirement for them to get you home as it is classified as a scheduled flight, at best you will get you cost of the flight back and will need to re-book at whatever the airlines charge you!

My other half is Travel Agent, and she is getting really upset by this comment being used all the time on TV as it is wrong.

This ONLY applies if you have booked a package holiday with chartered flights and ATOL certification. If you have booked your flights independently through the airline, there is no legal requirement for them to get you home as it is classified as a scheduled flight, at best you will get you cost of the flight back and will need to re-book at whatever the airlines charge you!
According to the CAA. It is the carrier who is responsible for getting you home, not the holiday company, therefore it doesn't matter if the ticket is part of a package deal or a scheduled flight. The problem your other half probably has, is people trying to get the holiday company to find alternative flights rather than the customer dealing direct with the airline.
It happened to me a few years ago due to bad weather in the UK and I was stuck in Berlin.

syrup

LE
We flew to Dublin a couple of weeks back fro Leeds / Bradford.
Had two bags to check in and was warned to get there 3 hours early.
Checked in online (Ryan air charge £59.99 each if they have to do it)
Arrived with 3 and a bit hours to spare before the flight.

The lady at the car drop off point told us people had been arriving an hour before their flight and been sent back for their car by security and check in as they had no hope of flying.

We arrived at the terminal got the bags checked in and saw the queue which was right down the terminal
I'd paid the extra £5 for fast pass and we looked at that line and it was empty after asking and showing out tickets we were directed down that
Straight in a bit of a bottleneck at the scanners and all that but through in about 10 minutes.

We got something to eat and had a drink while waiting for the flight

I would suggest that most issues came from passengers who fall firmly in the fuckwit category.

Have to try and drink as much as they can in the airport like they've never seen a bar then cause issues at the ticket desk because they can't get their phone to work or find heir ticket.
Despite signs everywhere and it telling you that you need a mask to fly they arrive at ticket control without a mask and then argue.

Anyone who turns up at an airport in a football top, shorts and sandals with socks should be barred for life from flying anyway

I got away in Feb with no problems, but going away in July might have some.
As has been said earlier, the airports and airlines haven't really staffed up since Covid struck and a lot of staff went on furlough and the decided that it wasn't worth the time or money to go back so quit and got proper, decent paid jobs.
This, absolutely! Would you work the god-awful hours, dealing with chavvy and entitled 'customers' for a little over minimum wage? Anyway what happened to the cost of living crisis?

Edit, spelling

Latest Threads