Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Escape

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
No, not the movie (it's that time of year, after all) but your amusing ideas to get off this bloody ship (obviously, tunnelling is out).

Client said four week rotations, a lot of us accepted the job on the basis that we'd be home again four weeks later. The day after we sailed, client said, "No crew changes until middle of January. We're chomping at the bit to get off and there's talk of jumping ship when they go in to change out the ship's crew on their four-week rotation later this week.

Do me proud but more importantly make me laugh in a pant-wetting manner, chaps and chapesses. I fuckin' need it...!
cant you sink the fucker ?

NSP

LE
Why don't you remove the ships wheel and run around the deck with it?

I've heard this has worked before.
This is this new-fangled modern dynamically-positioned space-age shit. There is no wheel...
Having now downloaded my piccies from my 'phone allow me to demonstrate...

Bridge01.jpg
Bridge02.jpg
Bridge03.jpg
Bridge04.jpg
Bridge05.jpg

So, this wheel.......

So, this wheel.......

Thanks for that, very informative.

Which bit does warp speed?

Serious bit, that very much looks like fly by wire, is there an e-stop/ manual overide?

NSP

LE
Thanks for that, very informative.

Which bit does warp speed?

Serious bit, that very much looks like fly by wire, is there an e-stop/ manual overide?
Those controls - joysticks and knobs and whatever - are the manual overrides!

See that cluster of six red buttons in the penultimate pic...? That's the kill switches.

Same photo: the left-hand (starboard) chair is the pilot DP officer, the right-hand (port) chair is the weapons systems officer winch driver.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
wheres the ignition key ??
I take it the system needs a security code to allow you to start it ?
that is above impressive
I want one
Piece of piss to start it. If you're a nav officer...

Pick up 'phone. Dial number for ECR.

"Chief...? Main propulsion authority in thirty. Out."

About two minutes later there is a rumble and the deck starts vibrating as the big donks start their half-hour warm-up.

NSP

LE
Load Photon Torpedo's, fire Phasers, raise shields oh and fix the squeak on that left chair, it's bloody annoying!
I think the last time I was on a bridge that didn't look like it should have Mr. Sulu in the driver's seat was a Gardline job - but, then, most of their fleet is a similar age to myself, so....

Oh, and if you think that that thing in the pics is "modern" do keep in mind that it is ten years old. I've been on younger that look even more "digital" upstairs than this one does.

You still can't have a light on if your workstation is on the bridge and it's dark outside, though.

Last edited:
I think the last time I was on a bridge that didn't look like it should have Mr. Sulu in the driver's seat was a Gardline job - but, then, most of their fleet is a similar age to myself, so....

Oh, and if you think that that thing in the pics is "modern" do keep in mind that it is ten years old. I've been on younger that look even more "digital" upstairs than this one does.
Gardline, there’s a name from my past! When I was an Apprentice at a ship repair company, the company I worked for converted one of their first major Vessels.
MV Gardline Locator, ex RN aircraft recovery ship. My job was to melt all the brass rivets holding the armoured wheelhouse together.
But on and off over the years I’ve done delivery’s for Gardline Surveys.

NSP

LE
Gardline, there’s a name from my past! When I was an Apprentice at a ship repair company, the company I worked for converted one of their first major Vessels.
MV Gardline Locator, ex RN aircraft recovery ship. My job was to melt all the brass rivets holding the armoured wheelhouse together.
But on and off over the years I’ve done delivery’s for Gardline Surveys.

How the criminy-flip does that thing recover aircraft, from the bottom let alone anywhere else...?

scan00484.jpg

NSP

LE
No mate, William Overys Lowestoft. All the work was done on North Quay Commercial Rd, opposite Richards.
I heard she was a strange sea boat, razor blades now I believe.
I was delighted to sea the Ocean Squeaker* on the slips a few years ago.

Having been gas-axed into several sections...

* Seeker.

I was delighted to sea the Ocean Squeaker* on the slips a few years ago.

Having been gas-axed into several sections...

* Seeker.
Don’t know the Squeaker, the last big job I did as a Truck driver for them when the Trident first got back from Australia. They removed the main engines out of her for rebuild, we took the engines to Glasgow for rebuild.

NSP

LE
Don’t know the Squeaker, the last big job I did as a Truck driver for them when the Trident first got back from Australia. They removed the main engines out of her for rebuild, we took the engines to Glasgow for rebuild.
Oh, that thing. Ended up being their W. Africa vessel. Utter toilet. Constant squits guaranteed. Seems to be doing something in the Yellow Sea at the moment.

The irony....

Edited to add: tried a different AIS tracker site and the thing is still steaming around off the southern coast of RoK - but this one has a "received" timestamp on it: position received in 2019!

Christ only knows where the thing is now - parked up somewhere with everything switched off, at a guess.

Last edited:
Oh, that thing. Ended up being their W. Africa vessel. Utter toilet. Constant squits guaranteed. Seems to be doing something in the Yellow Sea at the moment.

The irony....
I’ll have to go down to GY and have a look, I thought she was tied up on South Quay.
I know she was RN trials vessel and was a horrible ride once the rollers started.

Latest Threads