The Great Escape

I have watched the film The Great Escape many times and am always left wondering did the prisoners really have as much freedom as is shown in the film?
By this I mean where they really able/allowed to brew their own alcoholic drinks using potatoes, where they really able to celebrate American Independence Day with a parade featuring a drum and flute and did one of the guards really supply a camera and other items for the escapees?

Sancho_Panza said:
Not really, and it was mainly British PoW's. Try reading this book which gives a much clearer account of things. A good read, if a little dry.
The majority of the escapees were British and Commonwealth but the 3 successful escapees were 2 Norwegians and one Dutchman. No Brits made it to freedom.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
sneeky_turd said:
Sancho_Panza said:
Not really, and it was mainly British PoW's. Try reading this book which gives a much clearer account of things. A good read, if a little dry.
The majority of the escapees were British and Commonwealth but the 3 successful escapees were 2 Norwegians and one Dutchman. No Brits made it to freedom.
The maths in the film dosen't add up also

76 Escape

3 Get away - Coburn, Bronson and Leyton
10 are returned Including Garner
McQueen is returned
Pleasance gets shot escaping with Garner
David "Ducky" Macallum is shot at the railway station
50 Are shot

I make that 66 wheres the other 10?