The Great Escape

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by REMEbrat, Mar 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have watched the film The Great Escape many times and am always left wondering did the prisoners really have as much freedom as is shown in the film?
    By this I mean where they really able/allowed to brew their own alcoholic drinks using potatoes, where they really able to celebrate American Independence Day with a parade featuring a drum and flute and did one of the guards really supply a camera and other items for the escapees?
  2. It was a film. Most films have a flimsy attitude to the reality of the original subject.

I cannot answer your specific questions, and sadly nor can any of the original escapees.

There is some general info at these links though.

Times Online

The independent
  3. Not really, and it was mainly British PoW's. Try reading this book which gives a much clearer account of things. A good read, if a little dry.
  4. The majority of the escapees were British and Commonwealth but the 3 successful escapees were 2 Norwegians and one Dutchman. No Brits made it to freedom.
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

The maths in the film dosen't add up also

76 Escape

3 Get away - Coburn, Bronson and Leyton
    10 are returned Including Garner
    McQueen is returned
    Pleasance gets shot escaping with Garner
    David "Ducky" Macallum is shot at the railway station
    50 Are shot

I make that 66 wheres the other 10?