Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The great Covid 19 consumer rip-off

With a gradual return to normality, price hikes are starting 'its Covid guv - um er we've got no choice'

Mrs' haircut - 20% increase in price with Covid cited as the reason

Dentist yesterday. a 100% increase in price for a consultation which came in at a whopping £170 quid. The root canal filling is being quoted at £1,100 quid. And the reason? 'um er - its Covid 19 um er um'.

Any other gems to share?

I was having drinks over the weekend in a London bar and fully expected drinks to be pricey, but was shocked when I noticed the till receipt included a '15% Covid Levy'. I asked the lisping Iberian waiter who stammered out 'is Goverment law'. I asked to speak to the manager (another lisping Iberian) who skirted the subject by explaining 'is computer problem'. I pointed out that he was talking rubbish and realising that other drinkers were noticing, he refunded £3.60, being the RIP-off levy on four pints.

BoxKickerSubs

Old-Salt
Had an e-mail from one of our suppliers yesterday, stating that their prices for PPE (specifically face masks) would now be fluid. Meaning that the price you get quoted for may not be the final price that you get billed for. Utter stupidity.

With a gradual return to normality, price hikes are starting 'its Covid guv - um er we've got no choice'

Dentist yesterday. a 100% increase in price for a consultation which came in at a whopping £170 quid. The root canal filling is being quoted at £1,100 quid. And the reason? 'um er - its Covid 19 um er um'.

Any other gems to share?
How come you got dental treatment? Mine isn't offering fillings until at least October.

theinventor

Old-Salt
I was having drinks over the weekend in a London bar and fully expected drinks to be pricey, but was shocked when I noticed the till receipt included a '15% Covid Levy'. I asked the lisping Iberian waiter who stammered out 'is Goverment law'. I asked to speak to the manager (another lisping Iberian) who skirted the subject by explaining 'is computer problem'. I pointed out that he was talking rubbish and realising that other drinkers were noticing, he refunded £3.60, being the RIP-off levy on four pints.
It's probably their way of not passing on to you the 15% VAT reduction recently announced. Instead of changing their tills to deal with the new VAT rates, they put a "15% Covid-19 levy" on and pocket for themselves the tax they'd have previously paid the government.

How come you got dental treatment? Mine isn't offering fillings until at least October.

by paying twice the going rate by the looks of things. Money talks.....

Lovely referral game going on as well. Our dentist - ‘you need a consultation - 170 quid please’.

‘Im going to refer you to another dentist’

new dentist - ‘You need a consultation - 170 quid please and I can only treat one issue. I’ll have to refer you back to your dentist’

first dentist (hasn’t happened yet but you can see it coming) - ‘ you need a consultation - 170 quid please’

cnuts

Any other gems to share?
Decimalisation, all prices rounded up plus.

Transfer of married man's allowance, far less actually transfered to the spouce.

Reduction in world oil price, no comparable reduction on pump price.

It's probably their way of not passing on to you the 15% VAT reduction recently announced. Instead of changing their tills to deal with the new VAT rates, they put a "15% Covid-19 levy" on and pocket for themselves the tax they'd have previously paid the government.
Either way they are being dishonest little pr!cks and given that no one pays by cash, staff were unlikely to be benefitting from this dishonesty.

Last edited:
My dentist, or rather his dental hygienist, used to do a wash and scrub for £35.
Post covid, he's messaged to say the price, due to anti covid extra cleaning of the surgery, will now be £60.
A week later, possibly after being told he's a robbing cnut, the price is now £45.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
My offer is car cleaning.

Booked my car into the valet I always use in Falmouth (an occasional treat but this time I am tarting it up to sell it).

Was £35 but, as explained to me due to C19 and increases in his ‘materials’ is now £40.

I for one will now hang back on re-marbling my second bathroom until at least 2021.

Slime

LE

Any other gems to share?

Both of those are perfectly legit surcharges.
The hairdresser needs extra PPE, and the dentist would have had to leave your treatment area unused for quite some time to allow any aerosols to settle.

Mcvities digestives - used to have to eat one to fit the packet into my digestives tin - now there are about 4 biscuits less. Grrr (not aimed at Boris).

Latest Threads