Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The BSBB - Barking Spiders' Bradford Balti

• Sparky2339s' Auld Reekie Bhuna

• Hanks' extremely 'Girlie' Korma

• Total voters
As everyone is stuck at home with time on their hands I thought I'd share my go to curry recipe - the Classic Windyloo. It's my take on Gurkha curry with the late great Keith Floyd being the inspiration for my cooking style.

Preparation time about 10 minutes.
Cooking time 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Ingredients (this makes enough for me and the Youth, so 3 or 4 normal people):

Half a large onion
1 lb diced lamb
2 cloves garlic
Lump of fresh ginger (about a 1in cube)
2 large tomatoes (chopped)
1 Tspn Chilli flakes (more or less depending on how hot you want it)
Heaped Tspn Turmeric
Heaped Tspn Cumin
Heaped Tspn Paprika
½ Tspn Fenugreek
5 Cardamom pods
5 Cloves
Piece of Cinnamon bark
Vegetable oil
Salt
1 Tbspn dried Coriander leaf or a small bunch finely chopped if fresh.
1 mugful of Basmati rice
1 or 2 bottles of decent red wine (for the chef)

Method:

Open the wine and pour yourself a decent glass. Make sure you keep it regularly topped up. Finely chop the ginger and garlic and put in a large bowl with the lamb, spices and some of the oil. Mix it all together and leave to marinade for half an hour or so. Slice the onion and fry in a large pan on a medium high heat with the cinnamon bark and 2 or 3 each of the cloves and cardamom pods. When they're just starting to brown add the marinaded meat, scraping as much as you can out of the bowl. Fry it all together until the meat is starting to brown and the spices are sticking to the pan then add the chopped tomatoes and salt to taste. Stir it hard to get the spices off the pan and add enough water to just cover the meat. Turn it right down and put a lid on it. Leave to simmer for about two hours or until you've finished your first bottle of wine. By this time it should have reduced right down and the meat will be nice and tender. Add the chopped coriander leaf about 10 minutes before serving.

Put the rice in a pot with a close fitting lid, with about a teaspoon of salt and the remaining cloves and cardamom pods. Add about twice as much water as there is rice, bring it to the boil, turn it right down, put on the lid, leave it for about twenty minutes then turn off the heat. The rice will absorb all the water and you can pick out the cloves and cardamoms afterwards as they will float to the top.

Pour yourself another glass and enjoy!

Last edited:
No mention of using slow cookers.

I tend to do the onion/spice bit in the frying pan, then toss the sauce and (browned) meat into the good old slow cooker.

Come back into the house hours later to a wonderful smell with just the rice to be done - in a rice cooker in the ping machine obviously!

Just made onion badgers and a CTM for tonight's meal - almost time to put the rice on........! :hungry:

No mention of using slow cookers.

I tend to do the onion/spice bit in the frying pan, then toss the sauce and (browned) meat into the good old slow cooker.

Come back into the house hours later to a wonderful smell with just the rice to be done - in a rice cooker in the ping machine obviously!

Just made onion badgers and a CTM for tonight's meal - almost time to put the rice on........! :hungry:

If I had a slow cooker I'd use one. Must write a letter to Father Christmas!