Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sparky2339s' Auld Reekie Bhuna

• Hanks' extremely 'Girlie' Korma

• Total voters
T

Tremaine

Quick, easy and tasty knock-up Asian job when you get back from work/Pub? Girlfriend in Plymouth was Thai, so always lots of rice and curry for dinner. Mayalan Red Curry. Flexible and nutritious, tastes fcuking good and does you good. Bags of vitamins. So - win win?. Use beef or chicken, at a pinch- use lamb and you'll get away with it. Red vegetables should go in this dish, tomatoes, red onions, red peppers. You'll need a Food processor and a trip to the local Asian /Thai shop. Not a problem if you live in Slough ;) For one greedy get, or two people.

Found the Ingredients:

* 1 small chicken, or 1/2 medium-large chicken cut up into pieces (or the equivalent of beef)
* 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
* 1-2 red bell or sweet peppers, sliced
* CURRY SAUCE:
* 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
* 1 small onion, quartered
* 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, sliced
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
* 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
* 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (watch it, it's salty but Thai grub's just not the same without it)
* 1 tsp. shrimp paste
# 1 Tbsp. paprika
# 2 Tbsp. chili powder
# 1/2 Tbsp. ground coriander
# 1 red chili, minced OR 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you want it
# 1/2 tsp. turmeric
# 1 Tbsp. cumin
# 2 kaffir lime leaves (available in the freezer section of Asian/Chinese food stores)
# 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
# 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
# 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
# 1 can good-quality coconut milk
# juice of 1/2 lime
# optional: 1 extra can coconut milk
# GARNISH:
# 1 loose cup fresh basil leaves, left whole or roughly chopped if leaves are large

1. To make the curry sauce, place all sauce ingredients in a food processor. Process well. Add 1/2 to 1 additional can of coconut milk if you'd like more sauce, or if the curry is too spicy.
2. Pour sauce into a cassarole dish and add the chicken pieces. Mix well.
3. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and add the tomatoes and peppers. Mix well, then return to the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
5. Do a taste test before serving: add 1-2 Tbsp. more fish sauce if not salty enough. If too spicy, add more coconut milk or a little yogurt. If too salty, add more lime juice.
6. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and serve with plenty of Thai jasmine rice (Tha hom mali white or whole-grain). Or Basmati Rice.

If you prefer oodles of Noodles not rice:
# Lightly boil rice noodles until cooked to al dente. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside to drain while you prepare other ingredients.
# To make the dressing, pour 1/2 cup boiling water into a cup. Add tamarind paste , stirring until dissolved. If you can't get Tamarind use lime juice. Add one tspn sugar, fish sauce and chili sauce, stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Taste-test - it should taste first sweet, then sour, spicy and salty, more or less in that order. Add more sugar to make it sweeter, or more chili for a spicier salad. (Needs sugar to balance out the strong sourness of the tamarind.)
# Pour 1/4 of this dressing over shrimps, which are easily available from Iceland (make sure shrimps are well drained beforehand). Stir and set aside to briefly marinate.
# Place chopped red pepper, chopped celery, sliced spring onion, bean sprouts, coriander and basil leaves together in a large salad bowl (hold back a little of the coriander and basil for garnishing later).
# Place a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle in 2 Tbsp. oil, then add chopped garlic and ginger. Stir-fry to release the fragrance (1-2 minutes), then add the shrimp together with the marinade. Stir-fry 3 minutes, or until shrimp have turned pink and plump. Remove from heat and "pour" the stir-fried shrimp into a salad bowl.
# Now add the drained noodles and pour over remaining dressing. Toss everything well together. (Note: at first you'll have dressing left in the bottom of the bowl, but gradually the noodles will absorb it.)
# Do a final taste-test, adding a little more fish sauce (careful., it's salty) if more flavor is desired, or more chili sauce if it isn't spicy enough. Portion out into bowls or plates, adding a final topping of coriander and basil, plus the chopped peanuts. More chili sauce can also be served on the side.

We've made these umpteen times, hands up to looking up the recipes online for this thread but fak it.

Thai Banana Pud for hamfisted fatties
Ingredients
2-3 bananas ripe not bruised
147ml (5 floz) coconut cream
500-600ml (18-20 floz) coconut milk
Good pinch of salt
3-4 tsp sugar
Toasted sesame seeds
Handy Hint
Method
1. Slice and chop the bananas.
2. Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan until it begins to boil.
3. Add the bananas and cook until they are soft, then add the salt and the sugar.
4. When the sugar has dissolved add the coconut cream and cook for at least a minute.
5. Take off the heat and if you like them, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top.

Simples.

T

Tremaine

Quick and easy?
Ummmm, fair point, you guessed Trem's been a sweaty stove puppet for ten years, haven't you ;-) Real world, it's not within the scope of a wankered half blind Bill Oddie looking for a Pot Noodle . In the interests of simplicity there's also this

kWard

Swinger
Quick and easy?
Was thinking the same, lol ;d
This is one great recipe for thai curry (linked, but I do not want to copy-paste somebodys recipe). If you like curry (and if you're reading this thread I guess you do) this is a great meal to prepare and it IS fast and easy ;) Cheers!

Has anyone else bought Dave Loydens' "Undercover Curry" book?

I bought the book last year, it takes a bit of time making the 'Gravy' as he calls it but well worth it, I've since made some of the finest tasting curries outside of an Indian Restaurant so his methods do work, you have to follow them to the 'T' though, but I would recommend this if you want to surprise the hell out of dinner guests.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I know the competition is over now, but here's the recipe I use:-

Heat oil, add onions and Garam Masala and brown off. Take bunch of coriander, 5 cloves of garlic, 6 chillis ( chillis to taste, more or less), 1 inch piece of ginger chopped, place in blender with a small amount of water and whizz until a smooth paste is achieved. Add the paste to the onions, cook for about 5 mins. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, stir, add meat, coat in spice mix in pan, add tins of chopped tomatoes (I use 4 tins to make roughly 6 ptns) and cook for an hour on slow heat ( more for beef and lamb, this one is based on chicken). Add salt to taste.
This should not stick in the pan and will just wash out, no scrubbing involved, result

I always have a large jar of Garam Masala handy, large bags can be picked up at any asian store. Most supermarkets do bags of chillis, what you don't use you can freeze and use straight from the freezer as and when.

ENJOY !!!!!
Time to make a new batch of this and give the thread a bump.

A bit different but defo quick and easy: Maacher jhol (Bengali braised Fish).

The original recipes I got this from came from Mhader Jafri and was for seabass. I've also done it with trout and Cod. Salmon would probably work as well.

Ingredients:
2 x fish fillets (no reason why this couldnt be done with a whole bass - if so add a little bit more stock than below and perhaps cook a bit longer)
Turmeric
2 onions
a couple of garlic cloves or to taste
Cumin seeds
Coriander seeds
fenugreek
mustard seeds
Green Cardomom
yoghurt
lemon juice
chicken stock
6 whole green chilis

Take your fish, fillet and cut slits into the skin side, rub with turmeric and salt then put aside.

Heat a bit of oil and cook of a tespoonful each of mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, fenugreek and a sliced onion, add a couple of crushed garlic cloves just before cooked then blend with about the same volume of yogurt and a bit of lemon juice. If so minded you could use cream instead of yogurt but I would advise to use slighly less. Adjust seasoning.
Slice another onion and fry off in butter or ghee until soft and layer in a baking tray. Place a layer of whole green chilis (slit) on the onions add 4 or 5 green cardomom pods and then the fish.
Add some good chicken stock to the onion/yoghurt mix - enough to loosen it up a bit but not so much as it's over runny and pour over the fish.

Bake for about 20-25 mins at about 200, finish with some chopped fresh coriander. Lush.

There's a lot of bollocks written and talked about vindaloos. The original was a Madeiran pork casserole that acquired the heat when the ship's cook got to Goa. The recipe below is from an old Madhur Jaffrey cookbook and is as close as I've come to what you get in both Madeira and Goa. No picture but imagine something the Russkies would work up into nerve gas...

2¼ - 2½lbs pork shoulder or leg, boned weight.
3 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced.
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed.
2 large tomatoes, chopped, or most of a small tin of chopped tomatoes.
6 green chillies, cut in half lengthways and deseeded.
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar.
1 teaspoon sugar.
1½ teaspoons salt.
Groundnut oil.

Spice paste

4 – 10 dried red chillies.
1 tablespoon paprika.
½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
3" cinnamon stick, broken into smaller pieces.
10 – 15 cloves.
½ teaspoon black peppercorns.
5 –6 cardamom pods.
10 – 12 cloves garlic, peeled.
1" piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped.
½ teaspoon turmeric.
Rub the pork with most of the salt and half the vinegar and set aside for 2 – 3 hours. Make the spice paste. Combine the chillies, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cloves peppercorns and cardamoms and grind as finely as possible. Add the garlic, ginger and turmeric to a blender with 2 tablespoons of vinegar and process to a paste. Add the ground dry ingredients and mix well. Rub the pork with half the paste and leave to marinate overnight. Heat the oil, add the garlic cloves and when they begin to colour, the onions. Fry until browned then add the tomatoes and green chillies. Stir for a minute or so then add the remaining spice paste and vinegar with the sugar and fry until the whole begins to darken a little. Add the meat and marinade and simmer until the pork begins to exude its juices. Add a little water and the remaining salt and simmer until the meat is tender and the sauce thick, at least 40 minutes.

I know the competition is over now, but here's the recipe I use:-

Heat oil, add onions and Garam Masala and brown off. Take bunch of coriander, 5 cloves of garlic, 6 chillis ( chillis to taste, more or less), 1 inch piece of ginger chopped, place in blender with a small amount of water and whizz until a smooth paste is achieved. Add the paste to the onions, cook for about 5 mins. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, stir, add meat, coat in spice mix in pan, add tins of chopped tomatoes (I use 4 tins to make roughly 6 ptns) and cook for an hour on slow heat ( more for beef and lamb, this one is based on chicken). Add salt to taste.
This should not stick in the pan and will just wash out, no scrubbing involved, result

I always have a large jar of Garam Masala handy, large bags can be picked up at any asian store. Most supermarkets do bags of chillis, what you don't use you can freeze and use straight from the freezer as and when.

ENJOY !!!!!
Nothing to add here. It just came highly recommended Joker.
On my subs now.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the wife's bezzy oppo's is from Thailand. She is a banging chef.

She came to stay last weekend and she made the most amazing meal I've ever had outside of a top restaurant.

Her secret?

Ditch all the stupid raw ingredients and just buy the correct sauces and pastes from oriental supermarkets.

This took her about half an hour to make, other than the curry paste and fish sauce all the ingredients were just bog standard things. Honey, soy sauce, garlic etc.

That's asparagus and corn stir fry, beef red curry, Thai BBQ chicken and honey-soy salmon and I can guarantee it tasted better than anyone on this thread could knock up.

Attachments

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And by the way:

I win.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

She came to stay last weekend and she made the most amazing meal I've ever had outside of a top restaurant.

Her secret?

Ditch all the stupid raw ingredients and just buy the correct sauces and pastes from oriental supermarkets.

This took her about half an hour to make, other than the curry paste and fish sauce all the ingredients were just bog standard things. Honey, soy sauce, garlic etc.

That's asparagus and corn stir fry, beef red curry, Thai BBQ chicken and honey-soy salmon and I can guarantee it tasted better than anyone on this thread could knock up.
You're right, Thai people use Mae Ploy pastes because they're so good.

Her secret?

What a load of "Pataks"!!!!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I just thought I'd give this thread a bump as we were talking about curry in the cooking thread.

Latest Threads