*The GREAT ARRSE CURRY Competition*

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gundulph, May 26, 2009.

1. buttonsin3s' "Neat" Chicken Bengali

2. WhiskyBreaths' Explosive ATO - N.I. Curry

3. Milesys' "Mean" but Very Colourful Balti

4. The BSBB - Barking Spiders' Bradford Balti

5. Sparky2339s' Auld Reekie Bhuna

6. MittMayo's - 7 Steps to Ruby Murray Heaven

7. Hanks' extremely 'Girlie' Korma

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A subject close to most of our hearts... The Ruby Murray!!! :wink:

An earlier post of mine in a small Curry Thread:

"We need a dedicated Curry Only Sticky thread in the cookery section...

I was involved in a Curry 'Cook Off' several years ago in the Irish Bar in Sarajevo, everyone put some money in a bucket to partake in the competition to decide the winning curry entry, 5 or 6 of us spent the day before making our culinary delights, I made enough Hot Beef Madras to feed the entire Pub for the next 3 weeks... a very ordinary looking greasy curry got the winning vote, the guy who made it said it was probably because all his ingredients had to be cut in such a way they couldn't fit through the hole when he put his finger and thumb together hence leaving a chunky Curry mixture... my preferred technique was dicing everything up into small sizes but changed strategy after that event..."

As there is no dedicated "Ruby Murray" Thread I thought I would throw this out to the culinary expertise of the ARRSE Faithful...

*The GREAT ARRSE CURRY Competition*

The Competition begins today, basically just add your favourite Ruby Murray Recipe here in the thread, pics of the finished product would be a bonus. Ten of the very best will be chosen and placed in a Poll for all to Vote on in the last 2 weeks of the Competition (Winner will be the Recipe with the most Poll votes July 30th).

The winning Recipe will receive a copy of "Pull Up a Sandbag" by Jonathan Smiles who will of course leave his X and a little message...

Good Luck 8)
  2. Did the bucket come in handy a few hours later?
  3. :D Looks like K_O_T_B is winning just by being the only member to post a reply 8)

I have the Gurkha Curry Book in jpeg files an ARRSE Member sent me a couple of years ago, some great curries in there, but looking for an original curry as concocted by one of the site members, and YES it has to be edible :lol:
  4. Trust me when I say that you don't want to see my "Arrse curry"!!

500g chicken pieces, washed and drained well.

1 tsp turmeric powder
    1 tsp salt
    100ml full fat youghurt
    1 tsp sugar

250g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
    quarter tsp turmeric
    half tsp salt

3-3 tbs cooking oil
    half tsp cumin seeds
    1 inch stick on cinnamon
    2 small, green candermons
    1 bay leaf
    1 large onion thinly sliced
    1 inch piece if ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
    2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated finely
    half tsp chilli powder
    1 and a half tsp cumin powder
    3 or 4 tomatoes, chopped in small pieces.

1. Mix chicken and marindae ingrediants and leave for at least an hour.
    2. Rub salt and turmeric into potatoe pieces.
    3. Heat oil in a frying pan.
    4. Fry potatoes until golden brown, take out and keep aside.
    5. To the same hot oil, add cumin seeds, cineman stick, cardomons and bay leaf.
    6. Let the cumin splutter, then add onions, ginger and garlic, fry till golden brown.
    7. Add chicken, cumin powder, chilli powder and mix well. Cover and simmer on a low heat until the liquid has evaporated.
    8. Add 300-350ml water and cook until chicken is almost done.
    9. Add the potatoes to the mix and cook for a further 15-20 minutes till potatoes are tender.
    10. Add the tomatoes, mix well and turn off the heat.
    11. serve with boiled rice, a garnish of chopped corriander and proceed to scoff the lot.
  6. Not a competitive entry here, but a carry-over from the ATO curry which survived for at least the duration of my two years at Ebrington Bks in the mid 70s, which might tease your tongue:

• Catch a Large receptacle (old Army stockpot, supersize is good. Lid essential)
    • Fire in the Ingredients (all those in buttonsin3s recipe above should do; make sure there's a variety of meaty stuff over the lifetime of the curry, including fruit various and a bit or two of goat. Biltong's a particularly good, chewy extra). Bags of chilli, cumin, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon... - cloves? Why not.
    • Gently fry/boil depending on consistency and contents. Don't be precious about this; an hour being cooked at any temperature over the boiling point of water is good for anything edible except goat hooves, and you should take care not to include the frigging things in this recipe.
    • Rest overnights; feel free to freeze if there's going to be gaps in Enjoyment of more than a few days - chest freezer needed to take the pot.
    • Refresh ingredients periodically as necessary.
    • Continue in this vein for as long as you like. Enjoy the variety. The caramelised side scrapings are the food of the Gods. Serve with rice, but mostly Beer.
  7. I admit I do make a mean curry.

This is the way that the majority of restaurants make their Currys, and
    this is what seperates Restaurant style curry from home style curry.

This takes some practice, but once learned you will make the best curry
    you have ever made.

Balti Masala

This is your main curry spice masala.

Whole Spices

4 tbsp x Coriander seeds
    2 tbsp x Cummin seeds
    2" Cinammon Stick
    2 tsp x Black mustard seeds
    1 tsp x Fennel seeds
    1 tsp x Garlic powder
    1 tsp x Green cardamon seeds
    1/2 tsp x Fenugreek seeds
    1/2 tsp x Lovage seeds
    1/2 tsp x Onion seeds
    4 x Cloves
    1 tbsp x Fenugreek leaves
    4 x Bay leaves (Indian not European)
    1 tbsp x Dry curry leaves

Dry Spices

1 tbsp x Turmeric Powder
    1 tbsp x Chili Powder
    1 tbsp x Paprila Powder

1 tbsp x Oil

1. Roast each spice lightly on a dry frying pan, and grind finely (use a
    coffee grinder)
    2. Mix with the Dry powder spices.
    2. Add the oil, and then add water until it becomes a paste, not thick,
    but not runny. You should smell the flavours bursting out now.

Alternatively, get a premade masala of Indian origin, dont use Pataks
    stuff or anything.

Something like this -

It is more fun and rewarding to grind your own if you have the time though.

Should look something like this. Colour can vary depending on spice condition, length of time roasted, and quantity.

Base Sauce

Next you need to make the "base" sauce, which is a lighly spiced sauce,
    which serves as the base to the curry you choose to make. Once you make
    this you can freeze it in food bags of 250ml portions, each will do a
    single curry, or in bags of 500ml like I do and always make two curries,
    or a double portion.

800g chopped onion.
    8 chopped garlic cloves.
    2" x 2" chopped ginger.
    1 large chopped carrot.
    1/2 chopped green bell pepper.
    600ml semi skimmed milk.
    600ml water.
    6tbsp x Oil ** I use the healthier Rice Bran Oil, Olive Oil impacts too
    much flavour to the sauce you do not want.

3" cinnamon stick
    7 x Green Cardamom pods
    4 x cloves
    5 x Bay leaves
    1tsp x Fennel Seeds
    1tsp x Tumeric

1. Bring the milk, water, and spices to the boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.
    2. Strain the liquids from the spices.
    3. Keep the liquids aside.
    4. Heat the oil.
    5. Fry the Ginger, Garlic and Onion until the onion starts to turn a
    little translucent.
    6. Add the carrot and pepper.
    7. Add the spicy liquids.
    8. Bring to the boil.
    9. Simmer for about 45 minutes until the oil starts to rise out the
    liquid. Add water if it tries up too much
    10. Blend the lot.
    11. After blending it should have a consistency of thin soup. It it is too
    thick just add some water.

Chicken Balti

This is the recipe for 1 portion. You can double this into two portions if you wish. If you try and make any larger a size and it just won't work. Restaurants cook in individual portions. Your base sauce makes this quick and painless.

1 x 250ml Portion of base sauce (preheated in microwave)
    1 x Chicken Breast - Cubed.
    2 tbsp x Finely Chopped Onion.
    1 tsp x Finely Chopped or crushed Garlic
    1 tsp x Finely Chopped Ginger
    1 tbsp x Tomato Paste (I stress that is paste, and not puree or passata)
    1 tbsp x Balti Paste (as made above)
    1 tbsp x Dried Fenugreek Leaves
    1 tsp x Cumin Seeds
    1 tsp x Black Mustard Seeds
    2 tbsp x Chopped Coriander
    A few sprigs of Coriander for garnish.
    2 tbsp x Oil (Rice Bran Oil again as it is healthier)

1. Heat the oil.
    2. Add the Seeds until they start to pop.
    3. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 20/30 seconds. Dont allow to burn before moving to next step
    4. Add the onion. Fry another 30 seconds or so.
    5. Add the tomato paste and mix into the oil, which should take on a nice red colour.
    6. Add the fenugreek leaves, and balti paste and mix well into the oil. Keep everything moving all the time and dont let anything burn. Fry for about 30 seconds to a minute.
    7. Add just a little of the portion of sauce to wet everything up. Stir though.
    8. Keep adding the sauce a little at a time to keep the temp "frying" high and not "boiling" high. As the oil rises you can keep adding more sauce. It may get very smoky and flamy at this point.
    9. Add your chicken, and cook until the chicken is tender. Should only take a few minutes.
    10. If it gets too dry, just add a little water.
    11. At the end add the chopped coriander, and mix in. I also like to preheat a small cast iron karahi dish on one of the other burners at this point.
    12. Serve into the smoking hot Karahi, it should start hissing and fizzing and boiling as soon as it touches the iron. This impacts a smoky, savoury flavour to the end of the curry you need.
    13. Stick a sprig of Coriander on top for garnish, and a wedge of tomato if you wish.
    14. Serve with rice or bread.

Additional Note. Many people and indeed a lot of restaurants par-cook the chicken. They will fry or boil it until it is *nearly* tender, and then refriderate, or some places just stick in a bucket at the side of the cooker (yuck dont do this). I personally like the chicken fresh. If you are cooking for more than 2 people you might want to pre cook your chicken though, but you can do this immediately before cooking your actual curry so it is as close to fresh as you can get. Each curry would only then take a couple of minutes. With the fresh chicken you are looking at several minutes in all - this is where it can be helpfull to make a double portion, but make sure you have a big enough frying pan. I use large flat alluminium ones like the restaurants use.

This is not and should not be an exact science so dont be scared to fall off the quantities slightly, or miss one of the harder to find spices or two. This is all pretty much coming from memory.

If there are any questions or inconsistencies please say and I will sort.

Practice makes perfect :)

I will posts more recipes which use the same base.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gundulph

Could you pm me that Gurkha Curry Recipe Book as the best curry I have ever tasted was cooked up by 'Chef Gurung' at the ASL (it is now DSL) in Beaconsfield when they used to teach the Gurkha Tpt Regt and the Gurkha Sig Regt how to speak 'Army'

I also cook a mean curry myself by the way and use the 'Curry Bible' as my guide.
  9. That's weird :D I had a CPL Gurungh on my Boat Op Spec Course at Chattenden many moons ago, he went on to head the CSB Patrol Group at Hong Kong after that...

It's Massive mate, PM me your E-Mail Address and I will E-Mail it to you as it is all scans...

Some Excellent Entries so far, even the ATO one is a worthy contestant, reminds me of a curry that was prepped a month in advance for a handful of us as we headed out to South Georgia in 89, fellow Sappers had made a curry and it was in the freezer all that time waiting for our arrival, they had made a punch made from the entire Islands' worth of Spirits and fruit in a large Barrel... That was a HOT Curry! Good times!
  10. I'm from Bradford/Keighley so that should qualify me pretty well... :D
    This curry is the proverbial 'canine's undercarriage' and best of all it's quick and easy to make. I often knock it up before going out for beer and when I get home it's a quick heat through and fill yer boots:

BALTI (I use chicken but hey, any meat will do).
    Serves 4 people or 2 greedy gannets - or just me on my own after beer. :twisted:
    Preparation time 10 - 15 minutes.
    Cooking time 15 -20 minutes.

2 Lbs of cut/diced chicken (medium sized pieces) for other Balti's substitute chicken with either meat or seafood.
    2 Sliced green chillies (add more chillies to taste).
    3 Teaspoons of Coriander & Cumin seeds ground half and half (mixed).
    I Teaspoon of red Chilli powder (or to taste) & 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric.
    1 Teaspoon of salt.
    4 Teaspoon of crushed ginger (from approx 2 small pieces of ginger).
    2 Teaspoons of ground garlic (from approx 4 small cloves).
    5 Medium sized blanched and peeled fresh tomatoes cut into quarters. (or use tinned tomatoes).
    2 Handfuls of chopped fresh coriander.
    7 Dessert spoons of vegetable oil.

I Place the Balti over direct heat.
    2 Put 7 dessert spoons of oil into the pan and heat
    3 Place chicken pieces in the pan, cook until it seals the meat and is cooked through, stir occasionally.
    4 Add the ginger & garlic, stir continuously; over high heat.
    5 Add the mixed spices and continue to stir.
    6 Add the sliced green chillies.
    7 Once the oil, spices and meat juices have been absorbed, add the
    fresh tomatoes.
    8 Add the fresh coriander and stir, put a lid on the Balti and cook thoroughly for a few minutes, allow to simmer for a while.
    9 The cooking process should take between 15 & 20 minutes.

More tomatoes can be added depending on the amount of sauce required.

Serving suggestions.

I Before serving the Balti, squeeze the juice of one lime (optional) and thoroughly stir, this improves the taste and aroma.
    2 Serve immediately after cooking with hot chapatti, or Naan bread.
  11. Quite a few moons ago I was in charge of the Indian and halal cooking at a catering college in auld reekie.

I used to make a large batch of ONE sauce, which became the base for all the other curries (except Kurma).

This is a BHUNA sauce. Jalfrezi, Dopiasa etc were extensions of this.

Follow this and you'll have just over a litre and a half of sauce.

Add your own veg (maximum of three types of veg) and meat preferences later.

Chop roughly as you will blitz/blend these later.

A green pepper (pimiento/bell pepper not green chilli pepper).
    3 or 4 large red onions.
    1 or 2 white oninons.
    A "knobbly lump" of unpeeled ginger.
    3 cloves of garlic.

1 teaspoon of salt.
    half to 1 teaspoon of sugar (you can sweeten by using carrot if you don't use sugar).
    Peeled, chopped tomatoes (a tin is easier than doing tomato concasse) 250g/300gm.

1 teaspoon each of turmeric and paprika.
    Half teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
    A squidge of tomato puree.
    A squidge/dollop of Heinz tomato sauce.

Sweat off the roughly chopped white and red onions in about a tablespoon of veg oil in a large flat pan. Don't brown them just soften them. (About ten to 15 mins).

To this add the garlic, ginger and salt and enough water to just cover the lot. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for half an hour.

While that lot is is simmering;

In another pan with about 5 tablespoons of veg oil, sweat off the chopped toms, pepper, puree and heinz sauce, plus all the sugar and spices. Do this for about ten minutes.

Add these to the first pan carefully, mix and cook off for another ten minutes or so.

Take off the heat and blitz/blend for a smoother sauce.

This can be chilled for use later.

I never told you this, but if you use this sauce as you refry chilled boiled rice to make Fried rice you'll never go back to a takeaway again.

12. Yorkshire classic there Barking. :D

Attached Files:

13. Keep them coming everyone... I've finally got hold of some coconut milk here in Sarajevo and have a curry on the go as I type 8)
  14. In times of emergency make a tea out of dessicated coconut and use as milk. :wink:
  15. are you stirring it with your keyboard?