The Grauniads Take On Joint Sino/Russian Exercises

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Do not despise the snake, for one day it may grow into a Mighty Dragon. These men running are bandits, outlaws, in the water margins of Xiang-Shan Po...

Dum Dum Duuum - DumDum

Dum Dum Duuum - DumDum

Dum Dum Duuum - Dum Dum dededdumde.

(to be hummed with a Chinese accent)

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC has something about this on their website today (18/08/05). They make it sound like a marriage made in, well, Hong Kong.

Nither cuntry is up to the US on its own so as both are sick of Uncle Sam playing in their backyard and Ivan needs money which the Chink has plenty of (ta Mr $) a true marriage of conwenianace.
john

Max Boot, of the Council on Foreign Relations thinktank in New York, warned ominously last month of a Chinese "stealth war" involving financial, resource, psychological, media and even ecological warfare.
This just goes to back up what Ken Connor (of them) wrote in his book 'Ghost Force'

In future, countries won't face each other on the battlefield, instead they will undertake a course of small stealth wars aimed at destabilising the opositions power. It's already happening and has been for years (french industrial espionage, isreali assasination squads), it's just that the Chinese are doing it on a far larger scale than anyone has before.

Agent_Smith said:
This just goes to back up what Ken Connor (of them) wrote in his book 'Ghost Force'
As opposed to Kenneth Connor of 'Carry on tewting' fame.

...... my coat beckons

Agent_Smith said:
Max Boot, of the Council on Foreign Relations thinktank in New York, warned ominously last month of a Chinese "stealth war" involving financial, resource, psychological, media and even ecological warfare.

In future, countries won't face each other on the battlefield, instead they will undertake a course of small stealth wars aimed at destabilising the opositions power. It's already happening and has been for years (french industrial espionage, isreali assasination squads), it's just that the Chinese are doing it on a far larger scale than anyone has before.
That's not new. It's exactly what Britain and Russia did throughout the C19th in Central Asia - the original Great Game.

smithie

AndyPipkin said:
Goes back to the Greeks/Romans vs the Persians
God damn pesky romans, greeks, persians and rooskis, don't they know that there is no greater power than that of these here United States of Grand America

There is no US empire. We dont have colonies. But the US is powerful and thats because the US taxpayer believes in paying for a strong national defense. Sadly most of our allies have gone the other direction.

How dare you say that! Why if it weren't for the lack of a credible Army, Navy or Airforce Britain would wipe that smile of your face. As it is we'll just be really snide about you instead.

Themanwho said:
How dare you say that! Why if it weren't for the lack of a credible Army, Navy or Airforce Britain would wipe that smile of your face. As it is we'll just be really snide about you instead.
I think that what the Americans use to do in the 19th century when we were the global superpowers. See Mark Twain's “To the Person Sitting in Darkness,”
However the American Imperial power (informal though it maybe) is no match for the domination that the Romans had imo.
Anyway getting back to topic - anyone else agree that the imaginary country being invaded by the Sino-Russsian forces is called 'Taiwan'? :wink:

Probably, but is it in China's intrest to invade Taiwan ?
The island now acts as a rallying call to the opressed Chinese masses. China has its own massive internal problems which it will never sort out.
All China's surrounding areas are considered an Area of Chinese influence.
Leave them be and let them get on with commerce, they are quite good at that.
john

jonwilly said:
Probably, but is it in China's intrest to invade Taiwan ?
The island now acts as a rallying call to the opressed Chinese masses. China has its own massive internal problems which it will never sort out.
All China's surrounding areas are considered an Area of Chinese influence.
Leave them be and let them get on with commerce, they are quite good at that.
john
To the communists it’s a festering sore and though I think they are not contemplating military action for the foreseeable future, the situation will have to be resolved. I think at the moment the Chinese are happy to use the 'Hong Kong' method and just wait it out. In addition I think that most Chinese regardless of their feelings for the communist regime want to see reunification with Taiwan, if anything Taiwan in my experience seems to be one issue that brings the Chinese together.

I use to think that the regime was only interested in maintaining power and was happy to continue in its isolationist stance. However, considering the expansion of Chinese economic influence in regions such as the Middle East and Africa. I wonder if the isolationism is coming to an end and we are beginning to see the beginnings of a more internationally active China and in turn a China that is happier to flex its rather powerful muscles.

Castlereagh wrote
" I wonder if the isolationism is coming to an end and we are beginning to see the beginnings of a more internationally active China and in turn a China that is happier to flex its rather powerful muscles."

Businesmen I know with expireance of China over the last thirty years, are very much of the opinion that China has enough internal problems, to want overseas adventures. One amature historian points out that China has no history of external conquests, Tibet and the Hymalaya fight with India where over land China considers historically China. The whole of south east asia is considered a Chinese area of influence. Local press now suggests that Peking and not Washington sets local policy where I live.
Two quotes from Millitary Intelligence Page.

"August 16, 2005: Counter-terrorism forces have arrested 179 members of the Salar Islamic sect in western China. The Salar are not believed to be Islamic radicals, or into terrorism, but the Chinese are not taking chances. Salarism is common among the Hui, who are descendants of Moslem merchants from Central Asia and local Chinese who converted to Islam.

August 13, 2005: China has formed the first of 39 anti-riot battalions. The police unit, stationed in Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan province in central China, will deal with increasing instances of demonstrations and riots. Unrest is increasing as the economy grows, and a larger middle class becomes less tolerant of government corruption and mismanagement."

I mentioned some months ago a press report that China had deployed troops to protect its 'Oil' deposits in south Sudan a most disturbing event but I have seen no further referance to this.
China needs oil and will veto any UN decisions on oil related matters it does not like Sudan, Iran.
China has never been happy with western involvement in 'its part of the world'. Korea is a problem as it was when the US got close on Chinas border in the 50's and Vietnam will always be an other open sore for the US to irritate.

I think China has always been internationally active and that China will flex its powerful muscles, but large scale war I doubt.
john

"Tibet and the Hymalaya fight with India where over land China considers historically China."

I think you'll find that they consider Taiwan to be historically part of China. And what about the large Chinese communities in Malaya, Indonesia, et al? When does their protection become a direct interest of the PRC?