The Graun is about to do a hatchet job on the armed forces and is looking for ammo...

Shall I tell them the ditty about the bandsman on the bass drum being bollocked for wearing civvies on duty?

If her name is Marina McG . . . she is the food critic for the Sunday Times. Probably not the same person but the user/real name resonate.
Nope, Audrey is her first name.

What has your experience as a BAME person been like of the armed forces?*

Every weekend Zulu the 1964 film would be played in the naafi bar, as a person of colour I found it highly offensive that the film makers omitted to have only black people as Zulu's surely a bespectacled, ginger haired, wheel chair bound, poofter would have made the film much more inclusive ?

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
He and I were at 22 sigs at the same time, in the same squadron. The only agro he got, that I heard about, was the usual good natured piss taking, and high jinks associated with any corps or formation. Me being Jewish, only 1 of 2 in the regiment, I also received some, on the whole, good natured ribbing. There is always a few knobends in every regiment, its part and parcel of army life. Back then, the vitriol and plain racist rants and physical abuse against minority service personal hardly existed. In all the 5 regiments I served in, I only had trouble in one, and that was from the same person. All Verbal. I had the nick name of " Super Jew" a label I wore with pride. I do know now, some years after my discharge, that some seniors in the squadron disliked me. but it never manifested itself openly.
I was never ever attacked, or threatened, and never had any reason to make a complaint against anybody, ever.

All this was 40 years ago.
I remember once being told, possibly by the master chef at 12 Armd Wksp, that at an RAF base, an airman once approached his RAF master chef to ask about kosher food. The latter quietly made some changes to accommodate the Jewish lad, and the station, completely unaware, complimented the master chef on the improvement to the menu.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
And you spelled his name correctly, see we aren't racist
Psst. I googled it first to check I was right.

:)

Edit. He was still serving when the nippers were in primary school (come to think of it, so was I) in Marchwood, just around the mouth of the River Test.

He paid a school visit. Somewhere I have a picture of Alien Minor 2 with Kris. Thoroughly decent bloke (if a slightly manic persona).

Last edited:
I mean it's almost worth a couple of posts just making shit up.
Obviously no one would actually do that in the hope of being immortalised in print.
I was the first openly gay rastafarian Apache pilot and I found the lads just didn't accept me ........

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
I mean it's almost worth a couple of posts just making shit up.
Obviously no one would actually do that in the hope of being immortalised in print.
I was the first openly gay rastafarian Apache pilot and I found the lads just didn't accept me ........
Trying to play Reggae on the Apache loudspeakers when they should only be used to play Wagner?

Every single person on the planet could tell you a story of someone in their lives that treated them poorly and to different extents. Whether it be a Dad that hit them, an older brother that did, someone at school who bullied them, a boss or co-worker who treated them poorly etc etc.

Just because they are classed as a minority, whatever minority that may be, doesn’t mean that it was because of that reason, ********** will be ********** and bullies will be bullies no matter what. They will find a reason to bully and be a ********* by singling out whatever trait the victim has that they could get a rise out of or just make them feel bad about something they have hang ups about whether it be their sexuality, their skin colour, their looks, their weight, their family set up, their accent, etc.

What the world doesn’t need is a race baiting journalist or newspaper fishing for controversial stories which can only create more divide between minorities and non-minorities. Though they may think they are on some sort of righteous crusade there have been plenty cases of bullying that have gone on in the army in its history, so why only single out he BAME victims as all that will do is fan the flames between BAME and non-BAME and can only create more division and hostility, so by doing this they are causing racial tension and stirring up hatred.

After all, the Army has worked very hard to get rid of bullying and become and equal opportunities employer and has purposely sought out more BAME recruits to better reflect this new modern multicultural country.

So go down the road of race baiting and create more division or, if you really want cases of bullying sorted, then seek out victims in general and not just BAME victims.
Shut up, big nose!

What the world doesn’t need is a race baiting journalist or newspaper fishing for controversial stories which can only create more divide between minorities and non-minorities.
Great post. As to the quoted portion, while the "world" (I assume you mean what most of us do--rational, fair-minded people who just want to be left alone to make their way through life doing the best they can for themselves, their families and friends) doesn't want or need these kinds of divisions being exacerbated, or nowadays even created where they did not exist before, there are those among us who do very much want this kind of "journalism" as it supports their own ideological and political agendas.

Latest Threads