The Grand Tour.

Not seen any threads on this- although there are obviously a plethora of Top Gear ones. Today's Sunday Times magazine has been mostly turned over to all things Grand Tour, with individual articles by Clarkson, May and Hammond as well as Andy Wilman as well as an interview of the trio by Camilla Long.

I was a bit meh about the whole thing tbh and thought that TG had probably run its course, but this new format does look as though it's got some fairly interesting bits and bobs with a fair old dollop of military stuff.
The logistics behind the new format are jawdropping too and one of the articles mentions that even with a sizeable budget (£160m for 3x 12 shows), without additional practical help from DHL, the cash would largely have been spent on moving the whole circus around the world.
Anyway it all kicks off on the 18th November on Amazon Prime.

longtimeout

War Hero
An acquaintance of mine has been working on it, and he's been posting a couple of obviously carefully vetted photos on Facebook as they've been travelling around. It's a flipping impressive travelling rig they've got for the studio shows. I'm looking forwards to seeing some of the results.

An acquaintance of mine has been working on it, and he's been posting a couple of obviously carefully vetted photos on Facebook as they've been travelling around. It's a flipping impressive travelling rig they've got for the studio shows. I'm looking forwards to seeing some of the results.
There's a stats panel in the magazine in which it lists; 114 crew members to set up and run the 70'x50' tent; it takes 8 days to erect and fit out; 723 tent components (because no single piece can be longer than the 13' max for air freight); 1,980 pieces of electrical kit; and the tent weighs 48 tonnes.
Oh, and there are two sets, to allow one to leapfrog the other as it is being dismantled.

syrup

LE
There's a stats panel in the magazine in which it lists; 114 crew members to set up and run the 70'x50' tent; it takes 8 days to erect and fit out; 723 tent components (because no single piece can be longer than the 13' max for air freight); 1,980 pieces of electrical kit; and the tent weighs 48 tonnes.
Oh, and there are two sets, to allow one to leapfrog the other as it is being dismantled.
I wonder how many crew left old TG adding to it's demise.

I can see Amazon selling it back to Terrestrial t.v. f not the BBC.

I wonder how many crew left old TG adding to it's demise.

I can see Amazon selling it back to Terrestrial t.v. f not the BBC.
Andy Wilman wrote in his piece, 'We've been filming furiously since last September. Fortunately, many of the brilliant Top Gear veterans still had enough patience to work with us, which made the punishing timetable just about manageable.'
I reckon it'll be normal jogging on the syndication front- it'll be selling like hot cakes around the world and making a shedload of cash on DVD sales too. It would be something of a coup for ITV to buy it and schedule it at the same time as new TG is showing on the Beeb.

Last edited:
Just been watching the new show.
Not bad although Hammond comes across as being an annoying little tit.

Original Top Gear was £1m per episode, the new one is between that and £4m
Top Gear wasn't quite that much and in any case the series budget is averaged out - some episodes were more costly than others.

Good to see that three old colleagues are working on it.

Just been watching the new show.
Not bad although Hammond comes across as being an annoying little tit.
Is that the one thing he excels himself with?

ADBO

LE
M'eh, in Telic 1 (Revenge of Bush) we had to put up the Bn ops area in sandstorms, ballbagged knackered and gagging for a brew and it only took us a few hours!! ;-)

ugly

LE
Just watched it, reasonably happy with it despite the yanks

Fuktifino

War Hero
I'm sure I'll see it at some stage once it is on a more available channel ... Untill then, meh.

There's no need to fork out for Amazon Prime to see the 3 Musketeers, it's already available on The Dare Telly for free! The Grand Tour Season 1, Episode 1 - The Holy Trinity

The blurby bit;

The Grand Tour kicks off in California, USA, when Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May take their famous studio tent to Dry Rabbit Lake. Hundredss of fans from across the U.S. traveled to the desert, near Lucerne Valley, outside of Los Angeles, California to be part of the first ever episode of Jeremy, Richard and James’ new show for Amazon Prime.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
With TG they had too much to cover. They still had to comment on new cars on the market, and largely did well with that, but that stuff is not that funny. When they were outrageous it was sometimes spectacular but sometimes quite oddly boring.

With the Amazon format, they might be able to be interesting without being boring.

The net effect - am I going to pay to watch The Grand Tour? No. Lets put this into perspective - I pay good money to watch Sunderland.

With TG they had too much to cover. They still had to comment on new cars on the market, and largely did well with that, but that stuff is not that funny. When they were outrageous it was sometimes spectacular but sometimes quite oddly boring.

With the Amazon format, they might be able to be interesting without being boring.

The net effect - am I going to pay to watch The Grand Tour? No. Lets put this into perspective - I pay good money to watch Sunderland.
Well, that's 72p down the drain then!

All in all pretty good.
It caused a massive row as she hates C & H and I wouldn't turn it down to a whisper, despite the volume being less then she has it watching Eastfuckingenders. Still an hour upstairs sorting out the washing hasn't harmed her.
Seems strangely quiet in here, though.

Latest Threads