The goodbye weapon - latest in crowd control?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mikep, Dec 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Burn baby burn <<
    Iraq to get the Goodbye Effect

Lets hope the US doesn't pull out of Iraq until
    we can see their great new weapon, the ADS,
    utilised. The ADS is a non-lethal crowd control
    weapon that beams microwaves at people, making
    them feel like their face is melting and
    provoking "highly motivated escape behaviour".
    Security experts have called it the
    "Goodbye effect".

The ADS has been tested in secret for 10 years,
    costing $40m. In human tests most subjects
    reach their pain threshold in three seconds -
    no-one has passed five seconds. The military
    claims its effects don't last long but this has
    yet to be checked independently.

What a great idea. Surely beams of searing pain
    from armoured Hummers liberating the streets
    of Baghdad can only help Western-Iraqi relations?

More:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,72134-0.html

2. Is the in theatre deployment date 1st April?

3. Whilst it may seem like a joke, i'm sure i saw this on a Discovery channel documentary in the not too distant past.

4. http://www.wired.com/ly/wired/news/images/full/goodbyeweapon1_f.jpg

It seems to be real:

According to documents obtained for Wired News under federal sunshine laws, the Air Force's Active Denial System, or ADS, has been certified safe after lengthy tests by military scientists in the lab and in war games.

The ADS shoots a beam of millimeters waves, which are longer in wavelength than x-rays but shorter than microwaves -- 94 GHz (= 3 mm wavelength) compared to 2.45 GHz (= 12 cm wavelength) in a standard microwave oven.

The longer waves are thought to limit the effects of the radiation. If used properly, ADS will produce no lasting adverse affects, the military argues.

Documents acquired for Wired News using the Freedom of Information Act claim that most of the radiation (83 percent) is instantly absorbed by the top layer of the skin, heating it rapidly.

The beam produces what experimenters call the "Goodbye effect," or "prompt and highly motivated escape behavior." In human tests, most subjects reached their pain threshold within 3 seconds, and none of the subjects could endure more than 5 seconds

5. I saw this also!

6. There is the bit that concerns me - 'If used properly'. Oh dear, I can see some real problems here.

7. "highly motivated escape behaviour" :)

God I love US military descriptions.

8. Does anyone know how long it would take before lasting damage is done?

If someone accidentally got caught within it's effective range and couldn't get up (say a child, or an eldery person), the US could have both a PR nightmare, and a sustantial damages claim on their hands.

I can see the headlines, "US Troops Fry Baby With High Tech Ray Gun"

That wouldn't exactly win 'Hearts and Minds' would it?

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And the lawyers will be sitting watching their 'pooters to see when they can go in.

Has Ms C Bliar got her body armour and free flight ticket to Baghdad ready to defend the human rights of everyone except the people her poodle of a husband and his boss sent out there?

10. I wonder what effect this will have on the eyes, I can see loads of sueing going on if this is used in domestic urban disturbances a la 'poll tax riots'

and would the effects be exacerbated by the wearing of tin foil hats?

11. I can picture the scene now.....10 years down the line and labour still in power........one on every street corner tied up to the cameras that are already there. Big brother control of the populace when things really start going to ratshit

12. Isnt that the latest us policy on Iraq ? :D .
    Problem with less than lethal muntions is they are used by soldiers who given the chance will make them more lethal .All heard the stroies about battries and baton guns .In an army that lets some of its guys wander off to commit rape and murder. Handing over a microwave gun is bound to cause problems
    if a u tube video of abuls donkey being fried is the worst that turns up they will be lucky imho.

13. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Theres already a similar device which was used by ex-Gurka's who were security on a cruise ship that Somali Pirates had a pop at, This thing uses low wave sound frequences(I think)and causes the "victim" severe gut pain and sh1tting I'm sure it would be much more fun to see that in action :twisted:

14. Again, that's another myth. Yes they did use a new device that uses soundwaves, but not as you state to irritate their bowels. Instead, it uses high intensity sound waves to create a perception of pain and disorientate the victim.

The sound you refer to is colloquially known as the brown note, reputed to resonate at the natural harmonic frequency of the human bowel. When exposed to the brown note, it is claimed that involunatry movement of the bowel are experienced, leading to the victim sh1tting themselves.

Despite this sounding like a wonder weapon (as well as being funny as F*ck!), it is in fact, yet another urban myth.