The goodbye weapon - latest in crowd control?

Burn baby burn <<
Iraq to get the Goodbye Effect

Lets hope the US doesn't pull out of Iraq until
we can see their great new weapon, the ADS,
utilised. The ADS is a non-lethal crowd control
weapon that beams microwaves at people, making
them feel like their face is melting and
provoking "highly motivated escape behaviour".
Security experts have called it the
"Goodbye effect".

The ADS has been tested in secret for 10 years,
costing $40m. In human tests most subjects
reach their pain threshold in three seconds -
no-one has passed five seconds. The military
claims its effects don't last long but this has
yet to be checked independently.

What a great idea. Surely beams of searing pain
from armoured Hummers liberating the streets
of Baghdad can only help Western-Iraqi relations?

More:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,72134-0.html

Is the in theatre deployment date 1st April?

TheBigUn said:
Is the in theatre deployment date 1st April?
Whilst it may seem like a joke, i'm sure i saw this on a Discovery channel documentary in the not too distant past.

http://www.wired.com/ly/wired/news/images/full/goodbyeweapon1_f.jpg

It seems to be real:

According to documents obtained for Wired News under federal sunshine laws, the Air Force's Active Denial System, or ADS, has been certified safe after lengthy tests by military scientists in the lab and in war games.

The ADS shoots a beam of millimeters waves, which are longer in wavelength than x-rays but shorter than microwaves -- 94 GHz (= 3 mm wavelength) compared to 2.45 GHz (= 12 cm wavelength) in a standard microwave oven.

The longer waves are thought to limit the effects of the radiation. If used properly, ADS will produce no lasting adverse affects, the military argues.

Documents acquired for Wired News using the Freedom of Information Act claim that most of the radiation (83 percent) is instantly absorbed by the top layer of the skin, heating it rapidly.

The beam produces what experimenters call the "Goodbye effect," or "prompt and highly motivated escape behavior." In human tests, most subjects reached their pain threshold within 3 seconds, and none of the subjects could endure more than 5 seconds

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
mikep said:

It seems to be real:

<snip>

The longer waves are thought to limit the effects of the radiation. If used properly, ADS will produce no lasting adverse affects, the military argues.

Documents acquired for Wired News using the Freedom of Information Act claim that most of the radiation (83 percent) is instantly absorbed by the top layer of the skin, heating it rapidly.

The beam produces what experimenters call the "Goodbye effect," or "prompt and highly motivated escape behavior." In human tests, most subjects reached their pain threshold within 3 seconds, and none of the subjects could endure more than 5 seconds
There is the bit that concerns me - 'If used properly'. Oh dear, I can see some real problems here.

"highly motivated escape behaviour" :)

God I love US military descriptions.

Does anyone know how long it would take before lasting damage is done?

If someone accidentally got caught within it's effective range and couldn't get up (say a child, or an eldery person), the US could have both a PR nightmare, and a sustantial damages claim on their hands.

I can see the headlines, "US Troops Fry Baby With High Tech Ray Gun"

That wouldn't exactly win 'Hearts and Minds' would it?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And the lawyers will be sitting watching their 'pooters to see when they can go in.

Has Ms C Bliar got her body armour and free flight ticket to Baghdad ready to defend the human rights of everyone except the people her poodle of a husband and his boss sent out there?

mikep said:

It seems to be real:

According to documents obtained for Wired News under federal sunshine laws, the Air Force's Active Denial System, or ADS, has been certified safe after lengthy tests by military scientists in the lab and in war games.

The ADS shoots a beam of millimeters waves, which are longer in wavelength than x-rays but shorter than microwaves -- 94 GHz (= 3 mm wavelength) compared to 2.45 GHz (= 12 cm wavelength) in a standard microwave oven.

I wonder what effect this will have on the eyes, I can see loads of sueing going on if this is used in domestic urban disturbances a la 'poll tax riots'

and would the effects be exacerbated by the wearing of tin foil hats?

I can picture the scene now.....10 years down the line and labour still in power........one on every street corner tied up to the cameras that are already there. Big brother control of the populace when things really start going to ratshit

Virgil said:
"highly motivated escape behaviour" :)

God I love US military descriptions.
Isnt that the latest us policy on Iraq ? :D .
Problem with less than lethal muntions is they are used by soldiers who given the chance will make them more lethal .All heard the stroies about battries and baton guns .In an army that lets some of its guys wander off to commit rape and murder. Handing over a microwave gun is bound to cause problems
if a u tube video of abuls donkey being fried is the worst that turns up they will be lucky imho.

Theres already a similar device which was used by ex-Gurka's who were security on a cruise ship that Somali Pirates had a pop at, This thing uses low wave sound frequences(I think)and causes the "victim" severe gut pain and sh1tting I'm sure it would be much more fun to see that in action :twisted:

brettarider said:
Theres already a similar device which was used by ex-Gurka's who were security on a cruise ship that Somali Pirates had a pop at, This thing uses low wave sound frequences(I think)and causes the "victim" severe gut pain and sh1tting I'm sure it would be much more fun to see that in action :twisted:
Again, that's another myth. Yes they did use a new device that uses soundwaves, but not as you state to irritate their bowels. Instead, it uses high intensity sound waves to create a perception of pain and disorientate the victim.

The sound you refer to is colloquially known as the brown note, reputed to resonate at the natural harmonic frequency of the human bowel. When exposed to the brown note, it is claimed that involunatry movement of the bowel are experienced, leading to the victim sh1tting themselves.

Despite this sounding like a wonder weapon (as well as being funny as F*ck!), it is in fact, yet another urban myth.

Agent_Smith said:
Again, that's another myth. Yes they did use a new device that uses soundwaves, but not as you state to irritate their bowels. Instead, it uses high intensity sound waves to create a perception of pain and disorientate the victim.

The sound you refer to is colloquially known as the brown note, reputed to resonate at the natural harmonic frequency of the human bowel. When exposed to the brown note, it is claimed that involunatry movement of the bowel are experienced, leading to the victim sh1tting themselves.

Despite this sounding like a wonder weapon (as well as being funny as F*ck!), it is in fact, yet another urban myth.
Quite correct unfortunately, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

Having recently knackered the microwave by putting metal in it, presumably a tinfoil-lined umbrella might be just the thing to have handy when demonstrating against the Brown Reich in future. And a few sheets of bacofoil down the y-fronts for luck! (I already have the tinfoil hat of course....

exile1 said:
I can picture the scene now.....10 years down the line and labour still in power........one on every street corner tied up to the cameras that are already there. Big brother control of the populace when things really start going to ratshit
Nothing an angle-grinder won't sort out!

What? Destruction of State Property? Moi? :twisted:

There is some experimental evidence of low frequecy sound inducing brain damage in rats and rabbits and a rumour persists that a French researcher was killed whilst testing a compressed air powered high volume low frequency sound device.

Story is supposed to be that low frequency vibrations induced in his brain by 180db+ SPL caused multiple bleeds and induced a massive stroke.

Myth?

Blogg said:
There is some experimental evidence of low frequecy sound inducing brain damage in rats and rabbits and a rumour persists that a French researcher was killed whilst testing a compressed air powered high volume low frequency sound device.

Story is supposed to be that low frequency vibrations induced in his brain by 180db+ SPL caused multiple bleeds and induced a massive stroke.

Myth?
It is the same sonar technology that the US Navy is having such trouble with as it frys whales brains. Have they not got to the point where they have been instructed to switch it off unless operating well offshore?

Going back to Pulsed Energy weapons - this has been around for a while and if you look hard enough you should be able to find the US Airforce site that discusses it. I was having a look at this and other techs for some I work I was doing in the summer. There is some evidence that the first HUMVEE system was rolled out during the New Orleans disaster but not used.

Another name more commonly but perhaps slightly inaccurately used for the technology is high power microwaves. A good deal of work is going on in this area within a couple of UK unis.

The is a little bit of disinformation here also. The burst of energy is a lot less than 3 sec - it is fired via capacitor. The skin is not what the weapon stimulates;rather it directly stimulates the nerve endings say a mm or so below the skin, which is why you have the "shock" run away effect.