The good news thread

I told I could only have 3 bottles of beer at the local supermarket which was fair enough but the kid at the till pointed out if I got anouther 3 made ny a different firm that would be ok. 3 Heineken and 3 BIrra Moretti and I'm going to get pissed.

So far as free food is concerned, today has been pretty epic.

First, we get a big pile of sandwiches from Boots, which was nice.

A bit later I find out that with virtually no visitors allowed, two of the coffee vending machines have been made free.

For a vending machine, it did a decent mocha.

And to round it off, I walk into the staff room in the afternoon to find the table covered in a multitude of bags of crisps and pretzels.

Provided by M&S, apparently.
Them sandwiches are made by Chinese slave workers in a factory in Luton rated as " criminally negligent " on the hygiene scale.

Particularly good at the moment.
There is a hazel wood near me which is 'wall to wall' ransomes this time of year.

A couple of days ago I foraged through, on the way back from digging cockles on the beach.

Just add, red chilli, white wine and spaghetti.
Try razor clams. Food of the gods!

Nearing the end of day 10 in lockdown, and only one thing has made me smile today. My 8yo daughter, shouted at me that she was bored/hated me/I didn’t understand/was hungry/bored(did I mention bored?)/missing her friends/bored/etc and I admit to almost loosing all control, but I happened upon a book. I passed her the book and told her to read until she didn’t hate me. This was at about 1000 this morning...

1CAF1868-79EE-4E7B-9A3C-2829D400BC6B.jpeg

(ArRSe has done the “turn your phot through 90degrees” trick again.)

It’s now nearly ten at night, she’s just gone to bed and I’ve had to prise the book out of her hands. It made me smile at least.

General question to the masses; is ‘The Wee Free Men’ available on the ‘net for free?

Nearing the end of day 10 in lockdown, and only one thing has made me smile today. My 8yo daughter, shouted at me that she was bored/hated me/I didn’t understand/was hungry/bored(did I mention bored?)/missing her friends/bored/etc and I admit to almost loosing all control, but I happened upon a book. I passed her the book and told her to read until she didn’t hate me. This was at about 1000 this morning...

View attachment 459701
(ArRSe has done the “turn your phot through 90degrees” trick again.)

It’s now nearly ten at night, she’s just gone to bed and I’ve had to prise the book out of her hands. It made me smile at least.

General question to the masses; is ‘The Wee Free Men’ available on the ‘net for free?
Here you go mate. I had to help you out because my old neck will stay cricked if I try looking at the photo sideways

1CAF1868-79EE-4E7B-9A3C-2829D400BC6B.jpeg

There are a few more of Terry's books if you want any more.
I really don’t want to do TP’s estate out of its dues but I’m bankrupt and my little one has finally discovered reading in English... I’ll take anything you have, thank you!!! (I’ve got Hat Full of Sky and I Shall Wear Midnight.). Particularly the children’s books...

Saw a squirrel ripping one of the many bird feeders to shreds in our garden, and shot it, took it in the kitchen and dropped it in the sink, I called in the Doris and said" Cook this for my tea love" She completely freaked out. We live right next to the Essington and wryley rural canal, the buggers live in the tall trees that grow on the dead side of the water....... No sense of humour my old lady!
Now go and shoot some vegans

As a "feeder", perhaps you could clarify something for me (yes thread diversion already), think I saw a nuthatch the other day in a local park, but it wasn't doing it's usual business, it appeared to be calling to a mate - what does their call sound like?
Keep an eye on it you may need to eat it in future

Copied from The Bangkok Post and confirmed by personal observation:

The king of fruit is starting to show up in the market. For lovers of old-school durian, this is arguably the most important period of the durian season. Now you can find the chani variety.

Historically, Thailand is home to over a hundred cultivars of durian but sadly these days only a few are available to the general public. Dominating the market is monthong, which has thick flesh and can be cut well before it's fully ripe, making it suitable for export. A much smaller proportion of the supply is made up of kan yao and chani and a few other varieties.

Of the three main Thai durians, chani is the cheapest, which is partly a reason it has become harder to find. A lot of chani trees have been cut down to make way for the more lucrative monthong. Kan yao, with a small supply, is way more expensive than chani and monthong, thus often considered in a different league.

However, the fact is that among these three common cultivars, chani is not only the most affordable, to some connoisseurs who shun the consumption of half-ripe durian, which is now the norm; it is also the best. Unlike monthong, chani is usually eaten ripe. A good chani has smooth creamy flesh that is sweet with a slight tinge of bitterness. Its aroma and colour are stronger than monthong and kan yao.

April is the best time to find chani from the eastern provinces (the season for durian from the South starts around June). The durian vendors in your area may sell only monthong, but keep asking them about chani and let them realise that there is a demand for the variety, so they will bring some from the main markets to sell.

If you are lucky enough to find chani in your area, be mindful to choose only a ripe one. For inexperienced buyers, rather than buying an unopened fruit, it's wise to go for the meat-only option. Ripe chani has bright yellow flesh. Usually, the stronger the colour, the better the quality. A mouthful of good chani may make you forget about the hardship brought by the pandemic, and remind you of the beauty of life.

3575270.jpeg

3575275.jpeg

Whilst not a fan of youngsters getting tech too early, my 7 year old Grandaughter face-timed me yesterday on her mothers phone without asking her first. Firstly I was amazed that she knew how and secondly, chuffed that it was me she called. I found myself only half-heartedly supporting my daughter-in-law with the the naughty step routine and gave the miscreant child a very stern wink indeed.

1st a .22 point tip pellets, Crossman Optimus rifle, with a centre point 8+ scope............... cheap as chips.
2nd is a an Air arms, tap fed side cock, with a Nicko sterling 4+32 scope................... very old model.
I have bought a Gamo .177 springer with a 10 shot mag, works brilliantly but I use flat heads because the pointy or domed pellets go straight through the rats that have been attracted by my hens and they could sometimes manage to run off back into their holes before I could finish them off.
Flat heads make them do things that remind me of the ballet.

Latest Threads