The good news thread

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Must be a good day. Ernie paid me £25.

Sort of makes up for no lottery win.

My daughter has just got promotion to Sister in her A&E department. Bloody proud of her I am. She’s knackered though, working her socks off she is.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
My daughter has just got promotion to Sister in her A&E department. Bloody proud of her I am. She’s knackered though, working her socks off she is.
More paperwork for her then.

Congratulations nonetheless.

Very rare in the UK, a colony on the isle of Wight, Brownsea island. Northumberland, and the lake district, and grey free on Anglesey.
.... not forgetting Formby Point Squirrel Reserve. Locally there is a squirrel watch called "Red Watch" which if you see a grey squirrel you make a phone call and they plot the incursion of the greys. If the greys get close to the Reserve the guns/traps come out.

.... not forgetting Formby Point Squirrel Reserve. Locally there is a squirrel watch called "Red Watch" which if you see a grey squirrel you make a phone call and they plot the incursion of the greys. If the greys get close to the Reserve the guns/traps come out.

Famous for Natterjack Toads as well.....https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/features/sand-dune-wildlife-of-formby

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Ahh.... you can't beat a violent and protracted sneezing fit to send everyone scurrying away to leave you in peace.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
As a slight aside, is it OK to revert to "comfort books" in times of anxiety?

Just re-read Striding Folly by Dorothy L Sayers, and recently got a new copy of The Jungle Books and currently rationing myself to one story a day.

Just re-read Striding Folly by Dorothy L Sayers, and recently got a new copy of The Jungle Books and currently rationing myself to one story a day.
Not at all. Digging out my Arthur Ransomes. Reading “Secret Water” and it’s ace.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Dorothy L Sayers and Margery Allingham. Always good to return to in a crisis.

I just started reading a book by Eric 'Winkle' Brown about the Miles M52. Interesting story but lots of technical data which whooshes over my head.

This copy is signed by him, and inscribed 'To Stan'.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Dorothy L Sayers and Margery Allingham. Always good to return to in a crisis.

I just started reading a book by Eric 'Winkle' Brown about the Miles M52. Interesting story but lots of technical data which whooshes over my head.

This copy is signed by him, and inscribed 'To Stan'.
That's Stan Maskell, my late father in law, National Service airman and general aerophile. I must have included it in a batch I delivered. I wondered where it had gone, but on reflection, I'd read it and decided to let others read it.

Enjoy.

I read every day, this current crisis hasn't dampened my hour or so I reserve for my daily fix. I find that Robert W service, Rudyard Kipling, Jeremy Clarkson and the wonderful spike Milligan keep me sane, calm, and ready for what ever the day and her indoors throws at me. If its comfort books that help, jog on, anything read is a bonus, it relives the tension, and you might just learn something new, it also expands the old brain cells, stops them turning to mush, its a win win scenario.

Last edited:
Corbyn has gone - does that qualify for the good news thread?

Latest Threads