The good news thread

National service propaganda film, dressed up as a comedy. William Hartnell, Sgt Grimshaw served in the tank corps during the war. Filmed on a real barracks, using real soldiers, the cast between takes, were apt to wander about with fags lit, and hands in pockets, much to the annoyance of the senior NCO's, who lost the plot on many occasions, when they found out who they were shouting at. Filmed at Stoughton barracks, home of the Queens royal west surrey regiment. Wonderful stuff!
I have a vague recollection of a scene in that film where a recruit isn't paying attention to the BREN classroom lesson and is called forward by the instructor to imitate the field strip drill demonstrated.

Instead of the embarrassing failure expected, the recruit breezes it and explained that he built these things before his call up.

I have a vague recollection of a scene in that film where a recruit isn't paying attention to the BREN classroom lesson and is called forward by the instructor to imitate the field strip drill demonstrated.

Instead of the embarrassing failure expected, the recruit breezes it and explained that he built these things before his call up.
Bob Monkhouse?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Recruit played by Bob Monkhouse. Not paying attention because his new wife is gazing at him through the window. :)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bob Monkhouse?
Yes. It was on TV recently. Before being called up, Monkhouse's character had worked at a factory manufacturing Brens.

Monkhouse himself seemed perfectly capable of stripping and assembling a Bren in seconds in the scene

Unfortunately grey. No reds exist in this part of the west-mids south staffs border. The only reds I have ever seen were in BAOR,........... squirrels that is,.............. not Warsaw pact squaddies..........
Haven't seen a Red Squirrel in about 20 years. I routinely see Greys on one of my walks. They live in the Beech trees along the path and the fúckers are almost tame. I read recently that the Red is most commonly found in Pine woods now.

Haven't seen a Red Squirrel in about 20 years. I routinely see Greys on one of my walks. They live in the Beech trees along the path and the fúckers are almost tame. I read recently that the Red is most commonly found in Pine woods now.
Very rare in the UK, a colony on the isle of Wight, Brownsea island. Northumberland, and the lake district, and grey free on Anglesey.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Our walk to Sainsbury (currently instead, our daily exercise) takes us past a strip wood alongside the A3057. About three years ago we saw a squirrel there with about ⅓ of a tail. We named him Bob (cos he's got a bobbed tail. Geddit?) Shortly thereafter we saw another, with a full length but bald tail (like a rat's). Also down the road to our estate (according to a 1940 Luftwaffe map on display at the SOE Museum at Beaulieu, the northern limit of Southampton. Urban sprawl means that apart from Five Acres, a recreation field opposite the estate, urbanisation now goes all the way to the M27) there is a line of very old, established trees. Last year we saw a third bob-tailed squirrel therein.

It's been a month or two since we saw Bob. Fingers crossed he's making babies. Probably getting old for a squirrel now. But every sighting of him (her? Roberta? Blackadder walt?) lifts the spirits.

Good news, our village pub has announced on Faceache that they're opening for business today for one day only.
And in other news, for one day only Dianne Abbott is replacing Carol Vorderman for kids online maths lessons

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the local pubs is applying to sell 'off-licence' items. It will be interesting to see just how much they sell and of what.

One of the local pubs is applying to sell 'off-licence' items. It will be interesting to see just how much they sell and of what.

I've got a batch of home brew beer on the go, a kit that's supposed to be similar to Golden Glory.

we shall see....

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got a batch of home brew beer on the go, a kit that's supposed to be similar to Golden Glory.

we shall see....
I am not supposed to travel so that is not good news to me. :frustrated: