• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

the good guys wear black... anyone here read this?

''In his four years with S019, the Metropolitan Police Special Firearms Wing, Steve Collins has been in over a thousand contacts: that is gun battles, with Yardies; IRA gunmen; East End gangsters, such as the notorious Arifs and their hitmen; drug smugglers from South America and elsewhere; and lone gunmen who have simply gone berserk. A judge commending the bravery of Steve's team said, "If only the public knew the calibre of the men that protect them". S019 protects us from chaos and violence London. These groups are expert in firearms operations in an urban environment - the SAS come to them for training. Collins gives the inside story of these operations, which we might otherwise only get to hear about when they make the headlines.''

1000 'gun battles'?

sas come to them for training?

could anyone expand on this please...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
''In his four years with S019, the Metropolitan Police Special Firearms Wing, Steve

Collins has been in over a thousand contacts: that is gun battles, with Yardies; IRA gunmen; East End

gangsters, such as the notorious Arifs and their hitmen; drug smugglers from South America and elsewhere;

and lone gunmen who have simply gone berserk. A judge commending the bravery of Steve's team said, "If

only the public knew the calibre of the men that protect them". S019 protects us from chaos and violence

London. These groups are expert in firearms operations in an urban environment - the SAS come to them for

training. Collins gives the inside story of these operations, which we might otherwise only get to hear about

when they make the headlines.''

1000 'gun battles'?

sas come to them for training?

could anyone expand on this please...
Expanded enough?

Sounds like poetic licence at best......over 1000 gun battles in 4 years of service, working on only one leap year that's 1461 days, only 1045 days if you work a 5 day week and that's without taking any leave or BH...... So that's some pretty active service averaging at least 1 gun battle for every day at work!!! Do the boys at the FOB average that at the current Tempo?

as for training the SAS, maybe they have done some joint training or shared facilities or even acted as the bad guys for the SAS. But I don't think they would be the trainers as they don't even use the same ROE.

although I would never class a skanked up Yardie waving around a sawn off as being the same as a load of incoming from Heavy Machine Guns avec mortar and RPG.....

right... my name isnt shane and i dont have any outstanding subscriptions to anything, let alone a journo union

yeah can anyone confirm or deny whether there have even been 1000 'contacts' as its suggested here on the streets of mainland britain (which didnt make it to the papers, as suggested in the quote i posted) or whether 'THEY' go to armed plod for their training?

surely 'THEM' with the CRW team dont get instructed by plod - i always imagined it was the other way round!?

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's overblown shite. Read The Trojan Files. It's much better written, more honest and far less cockney (with the emphasis on cock) geezer orientated.

Sounds like poetic licence at best......over 1000 gun battles in 4 years of service, working on only one leap year that's 1461 days, only 1045 days if you work a 5 day week and that's without taking any leave or BH...... So that's some pretty active service averaging at least 1 gun battle for every day at work!!! Do the boys at the FOB average that at the current Tempo?

as for training the SAS, maybe they have done some joint training or shared facilities or even acted as the bad guys for the SAS. But I don't think they would be the trainers as they don't even use the same ROE.

although I would never class a skanked up Yardie waving around a sawn off as being the same as a load of incoming from Heavy Machine Guns avec mortar and RPG.....
cheers for the response, pretty much as i'd imagined, but i thought it was a pretty tall one to put in print considering SAS and armed plod must link up now and again!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
SAS and armed plod must link up now and again!
They use the same black helicopters so they must know where the seats are. Otherwise there could be confusion.

I'm curious Shane, so indulge me? Two posts in and you know all about the Baron? To a suspicious man this would suggest a nic-switch. Why would one nic-switch to ask a fairly simple question?

because i have read the arrsepedia before!

i use the forum to look at recruitment stuff as im in the middle of applying for the british army and as yet had no posts - but naturally that MUST mean that im an undercover journo?

to get an answer! the books preamble referencing plod training SAS... sounded backwards to me really so i asked - and its my first post - i really dont see what the problem is!?

It's overblown shite. Read The Trojan Files. It's much better written, more honest and far less cockney (with the emphasis on cock) geezer orientated.
It may be overblown shite (I've not read it) but it's no more overblown shite than all the SAS stuff that's come out since Bravo 20. The guy's only trying to sell a book and his publishers have puffed it up with tales of derring-do to appeal to the usual 16-year-old target audience. I agree that 1000 'contacts' sounds iffy, in fact the term itself is not generally used by police firearms officers and does sound like an attempt to big himself up. But as for CO19 training the SAS or vice-versa, let's be honest, who on this site really knows? While clearly, they won't be asking CO19 for advice on HALO drops into enemy territory, CO19 will certainly do many more live rapid entries into buildings than the SAS currently do, and it would therefore be foolish of the SAS to ignore any learning points that CO19 officers may be able to pass on.

It may be overblown shite (I've not read it) but it's no more overblown shite than all the SAS stuff that's come out since Bravo 20. The guy's only trying to sell a book and his publishers have puffed it up with tales of derring-do to appeal to the usual 16-year-old target audience. I agree that 1000 'contacts' sounds iffy, in fact the term itself is not generally used by police firearms officers and does sound like an attempt to big himself up. But as for CO19 training the SAS or vice-versa, let's be honest, who on this site really knows? While clearly, they won't be asking CO19 for advice on HALO drops into enemy territory, CO19 will certainly do many more live rapid entries into buildings than the SAS currently do, and it would therefore be foolish of the SAS to ignore any learning points that CO19 officers may be able to pass on.
fair one, thanks for the non ******** response!

to get an answer! the books preamble referencing plod training SAS... sounded backwards to me really so i asked - and its my first post - i really dont see what the problem is!?
Why would it sound backwards? The SAS , while heavily committed abroad at the moment, still retain a CT role in the UK. If deployed in such a capacity, they would be subject to to the same lawful force rules as the civil power they were assisting. CO19 regularly carry out armed arrests on terrorist supects in the UK. Why don't you think that the SAS might wish to learn from people (many of them ex-services if that makes you feel better) who are doing that particular job on a regular basis? The SAS are not, I'm sure, above learning from others, why have you got a problem with it?

Latest Threads