The Good Dr Reid..

Since Winston? What about Gallipolli!

Dennis Healey was SOSD for six years and claimed that this imparted knowledge unto him such that he could confidently state HMS Conqueror could have just "winged" the Belgrano! Chopper...

If John Reid ever stops long enough in a ministerial appointment to be accurately judged, then we can have this conversation!

Micro-manager. Already used the forces as a step up the greasy ladder. His "hard but caring man of the people" veneer conceals, I suspect, an extremely dangerous bloke. (But there again, he's a politico so you don't expect me to say anything nice, do you?) To quote - loosely - Ambrose Bierce, "the only people who are fit to govern are those who would never thing of so doing."

Cuddles said:
Agreed, Winston messed up and thousands died, but he did admit he had made a mistake, resigned his position as a Minister; First Sea Lord and MP, took up his comission again and went to serve in the trenches before returning to parliament.

Yes he messed up, he also tried to atone by doing the dirty deed himself...unlike Bliar/Reid et al.

Depends to an extent on whether Cameron Tories are preferable to Labour, and what the Labour alternatives are. How far will any of them go beyond (externally) what the US says, and (internally) what the Civil Servants tell them needs to be done, or what further savings need to be made. I'm not brimming with confidence about any of them. I suspect that they are all gutless, craven, vote seeking lackeys for anyone that they might feel could further their own pathetic political careers. I remain to be convinced that any of them would actually stand up for what they believe to be the right thing (even if that coincided with what I thought was the right thing).

In short - they would all be a bag of shite

He's my MP and during canvassing, before the last election, he was in our street. He wouldn't talk to anyone just grinned and waved but sent his lackies over to anyone who had a question and he kept on walking!!

I contacted him about a couple of service issues that as my MP he could have/should have pursued i.e. Hitback's housing campaign was one of them. I got a standard letter which fobbed me off quicker than a fobbed off thing :evil:

Wasn't it Reid who expressed the hope that we would be in and out of Helmand without a single round being fired?

I understand that the current number fired is upwards of 400,000

My mate was serving in Helmand recently when Reid went out as Defence Sec. and said he'd never met an MP who just went thru the motions like him, said his attitude was crap and all he did was ask blokes were they were from.

IIRC he was the rector (president of the students union) and leader of the univesity communist party at the time of the Queen's 1974 visit when she was heckled, spat upon, and infamously photographed running the gauntlet of wine drinking beared yobs.

Ironically Reid would later go on to allegedly abuse various members of the house of commons staff whilst very tired and emotional.

The Guardian did a pretty well researched piece on him in 2002.

John Reid former communist, prime minister....Why not? We have had a former CND man who turned into a war monger, I wonder what Reid would do? I can't understand him most of the time anyway.

A little less of the former paleface. He is regarded as a pretty well unconstructed trot although he does buff up well for the cameras.

<drifting off topic>
After the wall fell down and the communist party of GB realised that the game was a bogey, there was a marvelous moment when the membership of the Govan branch of the Communist party marched en mass to the doors of the Govan Labour Association to enlist only to be told to Foxtrot Oscar by the bouncers. The members of the press managed to record the momentous moment.

John Reid is the most sinister member of a very sinister bunch. He is an ex-alcoholic and an ex-communist, and these are not vices that are easily relinquished. His in-laws are gangsters and Labour fundraising bashes ("red rose dinners") in the central belt of Scotland have had drug dealers and gangsters turning up.

Reid could not resist some fellow-traveller gloating at the expense of the US imperialists over the fact the Taliban are the b@stard child of the Muhjaheddin:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2006-02-27a.1.7&s=mujaheddin+speaker:10501#g4.0

27 February 2006, oral answers to Defence Questions.

Sir Peter Tapsell (Louth & Horncastle, Conservative)

May I urge the right hon. Gentleman for the third time to halt the dispatch of small contingencies of our forces to south Afghanistan to undertake incompatible tasks that could not be successfully performed even by 100,000 troops or, as Max Hastings has written, by 300,000? Does the right hon. Gentleman remember that in the 1980s the Russians sent 300,000 troops into Afghanistan, but that, several years later, they fled the country, leaving 10,000 dead behind? They were soon followed to their graves by the Soviet Union itself.

John Reid (Secretary of State, Ministry of Defence)

Yes, and if I remember correctly, the then Government in this country and the United States spent a lot of money funding the Mujaheddin in order to fight the Russians. We are now seeing the fruits of some of those decisions, which the hon. Gentleman supported so many years ago.
This man is very dangerous. ID cards would be the least of our worries if he was in charge.

I remember just before I joined (1980) headline in the paper saying something along the lines of ''Britains Tommies to get £100 a week''! Not me though, Junior, about £30 a week!!

B

benjaminw1

GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
IIRC he was the rector (president of the students union) and leader of the univesity communist party at the time of the Queen's 1974 visit when she was heckled, spat upon, and infamously photographed running the gauntlet of wine drinking beared yobs.

Ironically Reid would later go on to allegedly abuse various members of the house of commons staff whilst very tired and emotional.

The Guardian did a pretty well researched piece on him in 2002.
Verrry Interesting...

I Like

Reid is an old-fashioned, straightforward devious political operator: you know where you stand with him
Which is where?

B

benjaminw1

Furryturd said:
Cuddles said:
Agreed, Winston messed up and thousands died, but he did admit he had made a mistake, resigned his position as a Minister; First Sea Lord and MP, took up his comission again and went to serve in the trenches before returning to parliament.
And introducing the Ten Year Rule... when Chancellor methinks, shades of Broon

Private Eye ran an article last week on the murder of a drug dealer who had attended a "Red Rose" dinner. I don't have a link to that article but a similar Scotsman article from 2003 is below. This article states that the murdered drug dealer actually hosted the dinner.

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=594&id=235082003

Then came the Motherwell and Wishaw Constituency Labour Party account, from which £11,000 was missing. There had been mysterious transactions between this and the Red Rose Dinner account - set up for a fundraising event attended by Mr McConnell.

This leads to the most fascinating event of the affair. The Red Rose Dinner is a rum affair. Last year, it saw Mr McConnell and Mr Roy joined by luminaries such as John Reid, then Northern Ireland Secretary.

And the host of the dinner? A convicted drug dealer named Justin McAlroy who was being investigated for his links to the Russian mafia. Six days after the dinner, he was shot dead outside his home in Cambuslang.

His father was Tommy McAlroy, the part-owner of Dalziel Park Golf and Country Club - which donated six months’ membership to Mr J McConnell.
As to Reid's communist past, I have no particular axe (or hammer or sickle) to grind with the theory of Marxism. However, any British citizen who called themselves a communist after 1945 is essentially a traitor and a supporter of crimes of persecution. Communism's most sinister aspect was the mindset of "class struggle" in which any means towards victory were seen as acceptable, "class enemies" were worthy of persecution and notions such as "democracy" and "human rights" were irredemably bourgeois. One can only presume that Reid views his own enemies through such a prisim.

Reid's willingness to embrace the unacceptable is demonstrated by his alcohol-fuelled friendship with Radovan Karadizc in the early 1990s. I do not recall any public contrition on the part of Reid. Craig Murray's weblog reports (from the Guardian of March 2002):

http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/archives/2006/08/about_john_reid.html

In the international arena, Reid, during his drinking days, fell into bad company in the Balkans with the Bosnian Serb mass-murderer Radovan Karadzic, who tops The Hague's International War Crimes Tribunal list of wanted men. Reid has admitted spending three days in 1993 at a luxury Geneva lakeside hotel as a guest of Karadzic. "He used to talk to Karadzic, he admired Karadzic. He mistook the Bosnian Serb project as the inheritor of the united Communist ideal," says Brendan Simms, a Cambridge academic and author of Unfinest Hour: Britain And The Destruction of Bosnia."
Finally, John Reid's views were given column space in the Sunday Times today.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-2383181,00.html

The extract below is worthy of note. I wonder how the Metropolitan Police will view this argument if used by anyone demonstrating in the "no go area" of Parliament Square.

So when the terrorists or their loud-mouthed sympathisers tell me that we won’t be allowed to raise our arguments in this or that part of our community, my answer is simple. Yes we will. This is Britain. There are, and there will be no “no-go areas” in our country for any of our people, whatever our background, colour or creed. We will go where we please, we will discuss what we like and we will never be browbeaten by bullies. That’s what it means to be British.
Reid is a highly dangerous thug who should be viewed with the greatest suspicion.