The Goldfish Club 70th Anniversary reunion weekend

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by TOM_SAWYER, Jun 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK It is nothing to do with Goldfish it just what it is called.
    The Goldfish Club was formed in 1942 for "Aviators Rescued From the Sea" and eligiblity is quite simple in that you have to have to have been a crew member who has ditched in the sea from an aeroplane, glider, balloon, helicopter or any form of flying machine and subsequently been rescued.
    It was a large club in WWII but now, fortunately, not many new members per year and total membership about 450. They have an annual reunion weekend and as you can see from the formation date this is the club's 70th anniversary and they are trying to attract as many new members as possible and also contact any lost members.
    This year's renunion weekend will be held during September in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.

Ok this club may be more relevant to Crabs and Matelots but there may be some of you out there who are eligible or who knows someone who may be eligible to join and spend a good weekend of drinking and dining in Leicestershire

Look on the Goldfish Club website for contact details and by the way they aren't all old codgers as you see in the pictures as there are many serving members of all ranks or PM me and I will send contact details.

2. So, it's a re-union for shit pilots?

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Or very good ones. Not being a pilot, I would have thought that landing a broken plane on water and then swimming away would be quite a difficult thing to do.

4. I believe a number chose a parachute as a way to enter the drink rather than go all the way down with his kite.
    Certainly the Goldfish Club member [sadly no longer with us] chose this method.
    Despite PA's provocative ribbing, he was certainly no shit pilot.

5. That yank sally the third of the boston river gliding school should be invited.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the replies, even the "humorous" one at the start.
    As to the skills of the crews, one of the founder members of the club will be joining us at the renuoin in September. He joined in 1942 and qualified as he was in a Wellington bomber dropping supplies to troops trapped on Crete when fighters attacked them and set fire to one of the engines. They attempted to fly back to base, making it to within 20 miles of the Egyptian coast, when they were forced to ditch into the sea. Other members have joined due to incidents in the last few years and although not actually being shot at the experience is one to be savoured afterwards rather than enjoyed at the time!

7. **** off you penis.

8. I invited John Denver, JFK jnr and Glen Miller but the ***** never replied.

9. Fixed it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I wonder if President George H. W. Bush is a member.

11. Chelsey "sulley" sullenberger the third should defintly be a member.
    Would have been even more impressive if he,d managed to glide it to boston.
    Although a bit uneccessary to river land in that case. :(