"The gloves are off"... in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by In-Limbo, Sep 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting article in the Asian Times just now:

Of particular note:

Also a rather lucky escape for the Pakistani leadership, owing to a last minute change of dinner plans.

As you can imagine this very recent event is dominating the agenda in Pakistani Diaspora at the moment, previous brouhahas around border OP's seem consigned to the sidelines. Will this represent the beginning of a watershed event for Al-Q & Taliban support among the wider Pakistani community?
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

So it may have been aimed at taking out the leadership. Interesting times ahead in Pak I think.
  3. Oh how living in interesting times... is getting hotter and hotter. OS methinks between the credit crunch and the new wild west that stabilty is something that is off the agenda anywhere sandy for a while
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Stability ha, oil overpriced influencing the cost of just about everything else. Two wars we're involved with making the military unable to do anything else. World food shortages, militant islamists upping the ante in a nuclear armed Pakistan. Money markets in turmoil, job losses reaching new highs. Russia throwing its weight around and tweeking NATOs nose daring us to respond.

I'm predicting a major war somewhere myself, lets face it we're long overdue one based on recent history.
  5. Not all doom and gloom then
  6. the terrorist percieve weakness and the opportunity to spread their influence by force, not unlike the axis countries in the 30s.

As has been said on this site, history repeats itself over and over. It is a good job we have been preparing for it over the last decade and not cutting back on defense. :roll:

edited to add;

so, how will this effect the relationship with the US. bbc clicky
  7. yuppers...and while i have an ounce of sympathy for humanity there are far to many blarting mouth breathers and darwin rules...

Once it does go to the wire though at least my tribe will be well dressed :wink:
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm not optimistic for the future. In Russia's attempt to broaden it's sphere of influence it's talking about arming all sorts of nations, look at the wars in Africa for the results of the last time they did that. This in turn will embolden those countries, with tacit Russian backing, to push the boundries, but when some of these countries have nukes or are actively attempting to gain them, a bit of a nightmare scenario presents itself. In the case of the fanatical islamists they don't value life in the same way we do so they won't fight by our rules.

I don't think terrorism is coherent enough to threaten national governments, Spain not with standing, any more than it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's or nineties. The next big war will be fought between nation states and its going to be messy.

Still I get to wear green again as I'm still in the Regular Reserve. Then again I'm not sure what they could do with someone who's been away for 11 years, meat into the grinder maybe. Hmmm not good. 8O
  9. well i am to old now and my reserve service liability got halved in the TA, i worry not so much about terrorism domestic or otherwise the fact that resources are finite and the human race breeding way to fast is the tipping point.
  10. Afghanistan suppose to become a focus of attention for the next US administration. So, what does the US do? 1. US infuriates Russia to the point it threatens to stop its cooperation with NATO over Afghanistan; 2. US goes out of its way to start the war in Pakistan!

11. How long before there is speculation of an inside (CIA) job?

Oh, did I say that out loud?
  12. Don't worry the Black Helicopters(TM) will be round shortly for your re-education...
  13. Wait until one goes off outside a big hotel in Dubai.
  14. Strangely enough, whilst fashioning myself some new headwear from bacofoil this morning that was pretty much my first thought.
    Rather convenient for some people isn't it?