The Glorious 1st of June (1794)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Warm and heartfelt greetings today, the 213th anniversary of the Battle of the Glorious 1st June, to all members of the Regimental Family of the 2nd Foot (The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey)) and their successors.

VEL EXUVIAE TRIUMPHANT

2. And to the Mercians (WFR)

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes, hearty cheers all round, and especially to those now serving in the PWRR, as well as all former PWRR and Queens Regiment.

Don't forget - never stand for the Loyal Toast - in commemoration of this Victory :)

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

And of course, a tot of rum to Her Britannic Majesty's Royal Navy

5. Yes I pushed this one around the office with ribald responses as to why Lord Howe was known as 'Black Dick'.

It was of course because of his swarthy good looks.

He is commemorated in the name Howe Barracks at Canterbury - home of the PWRR.

1st Bn The Queen's Regiment used to celebrate this day by playing HMS Excellent at Whale Island (inheritors of the traditions of the Queen Charlotte) at cricket for the toillette trophee (an old toilet seat suitably mounted and inscribed). Great fun - alas a tradition that has not been kept up.

6. This WFR bloke started the day with a glass of port and 'Hearts of Oak' playing loud enough to annoy the neibours (foreigners you know!)

7. Erm, why are all these Pongoes celebrating what was, after all, a great NAVAL victory?

8. Because the Army did much of the fighting (not all of it I accept)

9. ....'cos there wasn't enough bootnecks around to do the job.

10. 29th Regiment of Foot fought as marines for the day

11. To this day, I never do! Given, I will stand up when everyone else does, but only when comfortably seated again will I raise my bumper and toast 'The Queen'! Usually gets 'em going!!!

Small point to note Snowy, the Queen's custom of drinking the Loyal Toast seated actually comes down from the East Surrey Regiment. They saw service as Marines between 1702 and 1715! They were raised as Villiers Marines in 1702, changed it's name to Luttrell's Marines in 1704, the same year they won their first battle honour - namely 'Gibraltar'. In 1715 the then named Goring's Regiment (since 1711) were redesignated as Infantry of the Line, eventually becoming the 31st of Foot.

With this tradition came the playing of 'A Life on the Ocean Wave' on ceremonial occasions as well as the wearing of the smart Blue Lanyard of the Royal Marines (Admiralty Fleet Order 333 of 1948). We wore these in the old 1st Battalion - do the PWRR?

12. 2 PWRR started wearing a lanyard around 1998-99.

13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I still have my Blue Lanyard somewhere in the attic, along with the late unlamented blue cravat as well worn with Barrack Dress Trs, JHW, and No 2 Shirt).

So 1 Queens wore a blue lanyard - did the other two Bns wear anything similar? Orange one, for example?

14. Ex 3 Queens, our lanyard was Orange, raised in Belfast etc, etc...