The Glocestershire Regiment Gets Shafted

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by W.Anchor, Jan 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It now appears that the Gloucestershire Regiment will lose it famous second badge. This badge was awarded in 1801 when they fought the French Infantry in front of them and the French Cavalry that was attacking their rear. When the Gloucestershire Regiment merges with Devonshire/Dorset light infantry and the Royal Green Jackets to form the Rifles then this badge will disappear

2. Really? I heard the Back Badge would be retained. On a similar thread will the Royal Welsh Regiment wear the 'Flash' following the amalgamation of the Royal Welch Fusiliers and the Royal Regiment of Wales? Will the RIFLES wear the rose on Minden Day?

3. From the "Formation of the Rifles" section of the LI website:

http://www.army.mod.uk/lightinfantry/the_rifles/

4. "The rifles" teeehehehehe

5. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

There is no such thing as the Glocestershire (sic) Regiment. The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment was formed in 1994 from an amalgamation of the Gloucestershire Regiment (28/LXI) and the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire).

Although I think someone forgot to tell the Glosters this.

6. There was half a page on this in todays Sunday Telegraph [Hard Copy] it was not in the on line version

7. FFS 8O - are there any other bloody Regiments in this cocking army than the flippin' Porridge Wogs and gloomy Glosters!!!!!? 8O And the "Glosters" haven't even existed for 10 years and they're still making everyone's life miserable! :D :D :twisted:

Rather than this twaddle ending up in the "Infantry" forum all the time, can't we have a "Gimp Suits, Brass Eyes and Budgies" forum specifically for ex-Glosters to bang on about the Back Badge TM and anyone else who wants to moan about losing some tedious item of Regimental regalia or start a petition to re-introduce shiny brasses on webbing and nicely wound puttees? Or to fight against the introduction of a system of regional names and recruiting because once that Cardwell bloke destroys the traditional Regimental numbering system the British Army as we know it will be gone for ever.

While we're at it, could we relegate all the "are the Guards harder than Delta Force and could the Light Division have the Spetnaz" crap somewhere else too? Not the Naafi bar, maybe some computer game website where 14 year olds who actually give a sh!t can debate it for ever.

Aaaaaaaargh!

Happy New Year 8)

8. Paoli,

Post of the year so far!

DM

9. May this lapsed infanteer offer his congrats for this post as well?

About the only bunch I feel sorry for in this whole affair are DM's mob, but only cos I did T1 with 'em! ;)

And 'Gloucestershire' was spelled wrong as well - so doubly shafted I guess.

And while I'm burbling about the RRF, what are the West Midlands Regiment called now, and is their RHQ still in Fallings Park? :?:

10. As an ex-WMR man, I can tell you they're still WMR, but heading for 4 MERCIAN:

1st April 2006, companies reorganised:
    HQ Company at Wolverhampton
    A (Fusilier) Company at Sheldon, Birmingham with Pln at Coventry
    B (Cheshire) Company at Crewe?, amalgamation of B Coy and D Coy, King's and Cheshire Regt
    C (Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters) Company at Kidderminster? and Mansfield?, amalgamation of C Coy WMR and D Coy East of England Regt
    D (Staffordshire) Company at Burton-on-Trent and Stoke-on-Trent, amalgamation of C Coy and D Coy
    E (Light Infantry) Company at Shrewsbury with Recce Pln at Hereford

24th August 2007: 4th Battalion, The Mercian Regiment (Volunteers)
    HQ at Wolverhampton

So, the joyous and picturesque Fallings Park is safe as RHQ. Huzzah!

11. Cheers Arfur.

Another for you - is A Coy still at Barrows Lane - I know I'm being a pain, but I can't get on mod.uk for some odd reason, and if I don't get this kit back to its owner, I'm a dead man! :D

12. A (Fusilier) Company

TA Centre, Barrows Lane, Sheldon, BIRMINGHAM, B26 3BE

13. Cheers! :D

14. Aye Paoli but would you be equally as derisive if the remnants of the Green Jackets lost THEIR regimental regalia in this sorryassed amalgamation? The Bloody Eleventh and the Glooms were regiments with a powerful history and were in existence a good hundred years before rifle regiments and black buttons emerged. So save the angst. To the old and bold of all the affected regiments seeing all they loved and fought for going down the tubes is a bitter pill to swallow.

15. hows about amalgamating the Royal Engineers, the REME and the R.Sigs to create the REREMERS!??
    That'll give the plodders something else to chunder on!