• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The Glenrothes By Election

Eclipsed by the Huge events in the US, today the electorate in Glenrothes went to th polls.

The last poll I saw had the SNP and Labour neck and neck - what wil be the result?

Amazingly - GB thought that Prescott would be his big hitter to turn up and swing the result in his favour - nail in the coffin I think.
Im sure it will go SNP people seem to like their short term policies, better to sell tommorow and live for today, and budgets always go further when you just leave Defence out of it :rage:

I used to think he was great - but then again being a true Fifer I did marry my own cousin - what a turncoat cling to power, reactionary lickspittle he has turned out to be. 8O

From the Beeb

Labour, which had a majority of 10,664 in 2005, held the seat with 19,946 votes, while the SNP came second with 13,209. The Tories came third.

Voter turnout at the by-election was 52.37%, compared to 56.1% in the 2005 General Election.

Sven said:
From the Beeb

Labour, which had a majority of 10,664 in 2005, held the seat with 19,946 votes, while the SNP came second with 13,209. The Tories came third.

Voter turnout at the by-election was 52.37%, compared to 56.1% in the 2005 General Election.
Where did the Lib dems come, Sven?

Id have voted for Portillo, or even Hitler rather than the faceless shower of sh1te we were presented with. Maybe 'll stand as an independent at next effort. Assuming I can find £500 to burn!

danielsan said:
Id have voted for Portillo, or even Hitler rather than the faceless shower of sh1te we were presented with. Maybe 'll stand as an independent at next effort. Assuming I can find £500 to burn!
I'll chip in.

stacker1 said:
Sven said:
From the Beeb

Where did the Lib dems come, Sven?
We might have lost our deposit

Labour increased their vote by 3%, the SNP increased theirs by 13% and we lost 10% of our vote.

It would seem the SNP took their increase from the Tories and ourselves.

I honestly thought the SNP would take it looks like Fifers didnt take too kindly to their abolishing the entrance fees to Fife. Theres Weegies everywhere now and rivers of Buckie on the Streets :D

Fcuk's sake, Scot's are only supposed to be embarrased by our football, rugby teams etc. Now we have to apologise to the rest of the UK(fcuk you, Salmond!)for our voters/politicians as well! :oops:

Being a glutton for punishment, I stayed up to watch it. Received opinion is that the SNP are guilty of 'hubris' following their takeover of the Scottish Parliament. Also, the local council are starting to make pensioners pay for their own 'social care' instead of having English taxpayers foot the bill.

Perhaps this win will encourage Gordon to appoint former First Minister Jack McConnell to be ambassador to Malawi rather than just an advisor. Another win in the by election caused by Jack's resignation would keep Gordon in a job for a few more months.

Good to see Tommy Sheridan's Solidarity party coming in last with 0.24% of the vote. Tommy lost his deposit in Glenrothes and, in the near future, his new constituency in Barlinnie will be losing their deposits in Tommy.

Sven said:
Gobsmacked

Labour have taken it!!!!
Excellent news for Labour and the UK. When times get tough you don't want a bunch of dilettantes running things. You need experience and intelligence.

Good on yer Gordo.

Latest Threads