The Gilbert and Ellice Islands – Pacific War

The Gilbert and Ellice Islands – Pacific War

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Auld-Yin submitted a new resource:

The Gilbert and Ellice Islands – Pacific War - Images of War - including the Battle of Tarawa

Images of War

By Jim Moran

Another book from the excellent Images of War series of books from Pen & Sword, this time covering the attacks by the US on the Gilbert and Ellice Islands with a very full description of the attack on Tarawa Island.

Again, although called Images of War and certainly the main part of the book is photographic, the author brings a very good narrative of the events as they happen. This starts with an explanation of the location and strategic value of the islands...
Read more about this resource...

Some excellent photography from that campaign.

They compare extremely favourably with the crap pictures from the Gilbert & George.

Auld-Yin submitted a new resource:

The Gilbert and Ellice Islands – Pacific War - Images of War - including the Battle of Tarawa

Read more about this resource...
I actually lived there continuously aged 11-13, after which having to be sent back to school in UK until 17 (when I joined up) returned twice a year for school holidays.

Nothing to contribute to the book review, but if any Arrser is interested in anything about the absolute end of the British Empire, I lived a bit of it.

martin7606

Old-Salt
I actually lived there continuously aged 11-13, after which having to be sent back to school in UK until 17 (when I joined up) returned twice a year for school holidays.

Nothing to contribute to the book review, but if any Arrser is interested in anything about the absolute end of the British Empire, I lived a bit of it.
I would be fascinated to hear about it. What island were you on? Many other Brit families?

I would be fascinated to hear about it. What island were you on? Many other Brit families?
Betio ( pronounced Bay She Oh) which is the island 99% of the battle of Tarawa took place on.
A very few Brit, NZ, Oz and one Rhodie helped the administrative run-down from Colonial rule to self- governing independence.
However, the preparation had been going on for a couple of decades.

Latest Threads