ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

The Gig Economy...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by History_Man, Mar 31, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is not something that I have previously given much thought to because it doesn't particularly affect me; anyway, I was reading today's online edition of the Grauniad and I came across this article:

I’m a Deliveroo rider. Collective action is the only way we’ll get a fair deal | Callum Cant

The author, Callum Cant, is clearly something of fledgling Social Justice Warrior, who although despite being an articulate sort of chap, does not seem to understand a simple truth - his skillset of riding a bike is eminently replaceable by anyone else who can, well let's face it, ride a bike. He is never going to get rich is his current line of endeavour and he may well die trying. There is nothing wrong with the gig economy providing employment for students who could do with some extra cash but it is not a solution for twentysomethings looking to earn a living. Since when did basic common sense become such a rare commodity?

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 13
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Since Zero hour contracts became a way to have employees with little to no rights?

I know that they suit some, but not everyone on a zero hours contract wants to be. Fair pay for fair labour. A quaint idea I know.....

• Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DaManBugs

DaManBugs On ROPs Book Reviewer

Since when did basic common sense become such a rare commodity?That's the wrong question to ask in a Capitalist system. It has nothing to do with common sense and everything to do with maximising profits whereby quaint notions like consideration, humanity and dignity are entirely optional extras.

MsG

• Like Like x 7
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

Somebody signs up for a job then wants to change the conditions, typical mong who thinks they can demand what they want from an employer

• Like Like x 4
  5. I have no objection to someone being paid a fair sum for their labour but I think that Callum is confusing the issue. He is being paid to deliver fast food on a demand led basis at times when he is available to work. If he wanted to work eight hours continuously why didn't he go and get a job in McDonald's or KFC?

• Like Like x 12
  6. Which isn't my point. Deliveroo have a market model that is essentially unfair. If they can't make the model pay its employees a minimum wage, let alone a living wage then, and I realise this might sound radical, they shouldn't exist.

• Like Like x 16
  7. I don't disagree.

8. Think the problem comes when "gig economy" jobs - which have been very handy for students etc. - start to become the standard.

• Like Like x 16
  9. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

I liked this bit
    "But the lack of work isn’t the only problem. After an accident last month I was unable to work for two weeks and had a smashed phone screen. Because Deliveroo gives us no sick pay and no insurance, I had to foot the cost of lost wages and repair myself. All told, one accident ended up costing me over £200."
    Why don't you get some insurance for yourself then? If this accident wasn't your fault and involved a car then why didn't you claim off them?

• Like Like x 3
  10. The Deliveroo business model is probably non-sustainable anyway, but that doesn't detract from Callum's naivety.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

It wouldn't be happening if it weren't for them pesky Brexiters.

I'm outraged. I'm not sure why, but I am. I'm off to think about it. I'll be back.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If people don't want the gig they don't haver to sign up for it. Crikey, its not that difficult is it?

If you don't agree with the terms and conditions before you start, then don't start. What I don't get is someone taking the job on the terms and conditions offered. signing up to it, then taking their employer to court making claims about terms and conditions.

• Like Like x 5
  13. I'm sure that he could have got his phone screen repaired for tenner. As for insurance, shouldn't he have some too?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

Strikes me he feels the world owes him a living

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. I dont get it either, Deliveroo, Foodora etc are a great way to make a bit of cash quickly for a short time until something more stable comes up.

Its like freelance work but so many people are approaching this sort of gig with the full time contract mentality which it isn´t and never claimed to be.

If they dont like it and if deliveroo dont abuse their position then i dont see a problem, you dont like it, thats ok, go and find something that you do like.

• Like Like x 7